Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #1576
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton View Post

Exact same time frame for us last October on CA Coast cruise. We met our ride at curb, at 10.30. This is our first cruise with early/first seating, I was out-voted by DH & DDs! I hope it doesn't affect dismebarkation.
This will be my 5th cruise on DCL that ends here. It has been the same every time. If anyone thinks they will be off the ship by 7:30 may I suggest visiting about 20 miles to the south and go to Fantasyland. Ha ha ha. Sorry had to do it. Honestly I serious doubt it will happen.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #1577
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post

Perhaps you can answer - why is there a "deadline" and a "signup" to begin with?

The DIS typically has the embarkation meet and greet in the same Promenade Lounge (with far more people than this by the way) and there is never a signup nor a refusal to let anyone attend.

I see no reasonable explanation for this yet....
There is no reasonable explanation. The two events are the same situation, with the exception that one (Champagne Girls) would actually provide revenue to DCL by the people in attendance also buying drinks instead of just utilizing the space. I would think if there are prohibitions against groups sharing public spaces (prohibitions which I doubt exist), the DIS meetup would be far more problematic.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #1578
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Here is my take on this very strange situation. Since no one has asked DCL for a private space, which can be done, if anyone wants to go, just go. Who will stop you? It's a public room. No one can stop you. If you missed the sign up time, big deal, just go.

DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #1579
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
Good luck with this. The Port If Los Angeles is very different than DCL home of Port Canaveral. After the May Hawaii cruise the ship was able to start disembarkation around 8:30. We got off at 9:30 and did not get down to the luggage area for about 30-45 more min. By the time we got our bags it was about 10:15. It is such a different process here.

We're going to keep our luggage and walk off, so that should help us get off faster.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #1580
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post

We're going to keep our luggage and walk off, so that should help us get off faster.

Nancy
You can do that for sure but if you are able to get off before 8:30 I would be very shocked.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #1581
Rikersmom
DIS Veteran

It is very possible that there will be an "early flight" option for guests to sign up to be in the first group to leave the ship in California. My friends used this when returning from the Hawaiian cruise, and they made it to the airport in record time.
Rikersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #1582
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikersmom View Post
It is very possible that there will be an "early flight" option for guests to sign up to be in the first group to leave the ship in California. My friends used this when returning from the Hawaiian cruise, and they made it to the airport in record time.
I'm an optimist. I look for a parking spot in the front row at the mall at Christmas, and sometimes there is one. If you don't look, you'll never get to park in the front. I just assume things will work out and they usually do.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #1583
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
Here is my take on this very strange situation. Since no one has asked DCL for a private space, which can be done, if anyone wants to go, just go. Who will stop you? It's a public room. No one can stop you. If you missed the sign up time, big deal, just go.

That is, in fact, the exact point many of us have been trying to make. I am sure I could crash the "closed" CG event with my family, but I simply don't wish to participate in an event that has turned out to be a bait and switch, nor do I want to risk the smallest possibility of my family made to feel unwelcome by a single person.

There are several of us that are working out a different time/place meetup that is more casual, like the "closed" CG was originally presented before it was closed without an announced upper attendance limit. We will post when there is a consensus. :D

Last edited by Meghatron; 04-07-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #1584
aan1701
DIS Veteran

I guess I don't look at it as crashing. You are walking by and see the bar and say to yourself, hey I feel like a cocktail. So you get one. Not crashing in my eyes.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #1585
Jackson's grammie
DIS Veteran

this whole discussion is too exhausting for me - I'm on a no stress vacation - personally the boas stay at home and drinks on my veranda with a chesse platter is much more appealing.
Jackson's grammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #1586
vakamalua
DIS Veteran

Take a deep breath...

Oh my, what a kerfuffle over ladies getting together to drink champagne!

Who knew that offering to keep a simple list of ladies wanting to dress up and socialize over a drink would cause so many hurt feelings, angry posts and accusations of unreasonableness, arbitrariness and exclusivity?!

As I said in January, I’ve participated in several kinds of ‘Champagne Girls;’ in a passenger’s suite where everybody brings their own bottle, at a DCL official champagne tasting for a fee, and in the Promenade Lounge where everyone can just order a drink. All have been fun; none have an unlimited capacity. I thought it would be fun to have a get together on the WBPC. Since no one else had come forward since the beginning of the thread, I volunteered to keep a list of those interested.

Since I don’t have a lot of time for the following the DISBoards and/or chatting on Facebook or working with DCL to plan a private tasting, I chose the simplest form of CGs—getting together in the Promenade Lounge. This was also based on feedback from past cruises where some women didn’t sign up for an ‘official’ CG event because they didn’t want to pay the fee involved or feel pressured to drink alcohol. No one ever questioned this simple approach or the method of signing-up.

I kept the list of those who posted in the thread or PMed me, as I requested. Having experienced a CG meet like this before which can overwhelm the PL space and bar, I made the judgment call to limit the size before the number got unwieldy. The difference from the first day meet is that no activities are ever scheduled in the PL on embarkation afternoon, it is usually over quickly as everyone goes off to get settled and relatively few people order from the PL bar at that time. All seems very reasonable to me. Of course, I had no idea that so many potential CGs were out there who had not gotten in touch with me. In fact, I still have no idea how many there are.

Soooo, at this point, before the mob appears at my door with torches…

As has been mentioned, we all agree that the Promenade Lounge IS a public space. Let’s just open the WBPC Champagne Girls meet to everyone who wants to come, with no sign-ups, limit or capacity.

In the interest of my time and feelings, I’m more than happy to relinquish any ‘coordinating’ role (keeping a list, bringing name tags, planning an ice breaker, etc.). I hope this answers questions about how we got to this point; if anyone still needs to express her unhappiness with me, please PM me so the thread can move on to other topics. And if you prefer an alternative CG meet, I’m sure you’ll have a great time; that’s what CGs is all about.

See you soon…
vakamalua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #1587
cruzisme
Earning My Ears

Smile Cartegena tour

Hi all
Posted this on cruise critic board too
Am looking for 6--8 adults to join us for a tour with a well known and tripadvisor recommended tour operator named Dora.
Will be in an air-con van with driver and tour guide(Englishspeaking)
Will be touring the famous fort
, the monastery, old town and more.

Cost: for 6 people, it will be $65 usd per person.
If 8 people, the cost will be $60 per person.
If you want to join us or need some more info pls email me at
cdntravelgal1 at hotmail dot com with Disney Wonder Cartegena in subject line
Hoping to hear from you.
cruzisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #1588
kbishop2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson's grammie View Post
this whole discussion is too exhausting for me - I'm on a no stress vacation - personally the boas stay at home and drinks on my veranda with a chesse platter is much more appealing.
Here here! I honestly can't commit to anything because my family is far too spontaneous (or crazy-crazy works), I just hope to raise a glass with all you lovely folks at some point!
kbishop2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #1589
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post
Oh my, what a kerfuffle over ladies getting together to drink champagne!…
All I've seen, both here and on FB, is people quite rationally working out their confusion about how this was presented as opposed to how it was intended, especially given the chosen public location. I have yet to encounter anyone whose feelings were hurt; it's definitely not me or anyone in my family. The Wonder is too wonderful to be a passenger on to bother about admission to a meetup. :D I just wanted to offer my spot to someone who had missed out, and to answer people's legitimate questions when they came up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakamalua View Post
Let’s just open the WBPC Champagne Girls meet to everyone who wants to come, with no sign-ups, limit or capacity.…
Which sounds like exactly what most of us assumed it was to begin with based on the information available for the last several months. I really don't think anyone was expecting you to take on anything other than reminding people of a date and time (like Game Night or PJ Breakfast), and I'm sorry there was the impression that more was expected of you.

I'm sure keeping it open will also make the Promenade bartenders quite happy, especially with that auto-gratuity they tack on. :D We'll make up for the DISmeet with a 100 people and no one buying, LOL!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #1590
cruzisme
Earning My Ears

Cartegena tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzisme View Post
Hi all
Posted this on cruise critic board too
Am looking for 6--8 adults to join us for a tour with a well known and tripadvisor recommended tour operator named Dora.
Will be in an air-con van with driver and tour guide(Englishspeaking)
Will be touring the famous fort
, the monastery, old town and more.

Cost: for 6 people, it will be $65 usd per person.
If 8 people, the cost will be $60 per person.
If you want to join us or need some more info pls email me at
cdntravelgal1 at hotmail dot com with Disney Wonder Cartegena in subject line
Hoping to hear from you.

Hope this doesn't get lost in the champagne discussion!
cruzisme is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: