Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
bcrook
DIS Veteran

FP + What we know and what we want to know PART II

Last updated 1/23/2013

Timeline: According to several reports - roll out should start in selected resorts at WDW in early February. At this time the FP+ option has not been opened up for use.
From cheesemouse 1/23/13 "I'm about 45 days out, have an on-site reservation booked, tickets purchased through disney, and ME booked and can not reserve FP+ times at this point."

BigAWL has a thread dedicated to the My Disney Experience and App.

You can read the fine print ... Known Terms and Conditions:
* The FP+ will be managed through the My Disney Experience website and apps.
* The number of FP+ per day will be limited and vary based on park, ride, and day of the week, and time of the year.
* Can be used in 1 Park per day (This would limit FP+ at two parks while hopping).
* Can be used only once per ride per day
* User can login and reserve rides and events up to 60 days in advance
* Once a customer is using FP+ that customer will not be able to use the standard FP
* One user will be able to book rides and events for multiple people online as long as a network of friends has been set up.
* Credit Cards will be linked up to accounts
* FP+ will include a wide range of rides, character meet and greets, quick service meal ordering, select locations for parades, shows, and fireworks.
* The number of days you can hold a FP+ reservation will be limited.
* A user may change their reservations throughout the day (based on availibilty).
* Disney has the right to re-assign FP+ for you in case of unplanned attraction down time.
* Customers will be able to use their personal devices, computers, and concierge services in the resorts.
* Patrons can choose to get email and text alerts and reminders throughout the day.

My Disney Experience - Frequently Asked Questions explains about information collected about customers and how it is used.

NBC VIDEO that shows entries to park and discusses security.

Things verified from other sites:

* WDWMagic FAQs summarizes nicely.
- Everyone will have access on site and off site.
- No extra cost (unless you want buy bracelets)
- AP holders will be included and be provided magicbands.
- Customers can use their phones or kiosks in the park.
* WDW Blog post from Tom Staggs, Chairman of the Parks.
- Use smartphones and kiosks to keep adjusting all day as you go.
- People can opt out or participate in as little or as much as they want.
- AP holders will be fully included.
- People will be able to customize their bands and purchase a wide range of styles.
- Roll-out starts in February at select WDW resorts.
* good summary from Computerworld. Covers wristbands, security, and future. Nick Franklin V.P. Next Gen Technology confirms:
- 3 FP+ for each day
- Special bonus FP+ might be shared throughout the day. A good example here of a dumbo surprise.
- Select seating for Parades, Fireworks, Meet and Greets will be available.
- It will be available to all guests, it will be free, and it won't be tiered based on resort.
* The interactive device will be magic band.
* This article from Time does a nice job explaining the wristbands potential economic impact on Disney.
* The terms and conditions mention key cards or some other electronic device.
* There will be a lot of personalized interactions throughout the parks. For example, at a Character meet, the character will greet a child with a first name and know any special occasions. Mousermerf mentioned things like birthday wishes written on balloons in different attractions. New York Times has a good example here.
* Based on Terms and Conditions and several articles - any valid MYW ticket will be able to link to My Disney Experience and then access FP+.
* Easywdw has new changes to calendars. These official changes are coming out much earlier than normal check them out here and read the commentary.
* the Infinity Game provides an additional source of revenue connected to the RFID bands. Check out the Forbes article and this article.
What happens to people without personal devices? (Kiosks in Park)OR - you could buy a wi-fi enabled device that doesn't need a service plan like an ipod touch version 4 or 5 to ensure connectivity. iPhones need to be 3GS or newer with 3.0 ios or newer. Thanks Robo.

What we still dont know: (and Speculation) Reliable Source Answer

Good Summary here from Andyman8.

Ticket Questions:
* AP on will call basis. How do AP holders participate with no voucher number? (The App has a place to link tickets and asks for a AP confirmation code)
* IF we link a ticket with less days than resort days or less days than other people in the party, will Disney offer us immediate upgrade options?
*How will it affect AP users not staying on site? (Our Annual Passholders are very important to us and were taking extra care to provide access to all the features and benefits of MyMagic+ - Tom Staggs, Chairman of the parks.?)
*Will there be a limit on FP+ per quarter for AP holders? (Mousermerf says there will be a 20 FP+ limit)
*How will it affect YES tickets?
*Will GAC be affected? Here is an article addressing this issue.
* How will military discounts be affected. (one question is if military discounts have to purchased on site, will the military families be able to book anything in advance?)

DVC
*How will it affect DVC owners? Nearly everything suggests that DVC will have full access to all of FP+, new website going to be unveiled soon.
* Will a valid DVC resort reservation be enough to book advanced FP+? (It looks like a Ticket will be needed - probably not a voucher)

Friends and Family Linking and getting FP+ as a Group
*Can I schedule fast passes for everyone in my group or just those whose virtual tickets I entered?

Opting Out and using regular FP
*Can a customer stay on site, not connect tickets to bracelet and then still use regular FP? (everything points to yes)
*Will regular FP- eventually be available to all guests in addition to FP+? (early signs NO)
*What will happen to FP- or standard FP (logic says it will fade away)

Other Concerns
*How will this affect Rider Swap?
*On the 60th day will we be able to book our entire trip, or would we need to login everyday and book FP+?
*What will the Ride Categories be and how many FP+ in each category? (Based on Test Runs: MK top tier - ???? DHS top tier - ????) Micechat has a nice article though.

Technical
*Does the "here and now" button on the app connect to FP+ options?
*Will we be able to see the FP+ inventory (shop around) before we purchase our tickets?
*Are the magic bands Wi-Fi transmitters as well as RFID?
*How much in advance will TSMM run out of FP+?
*How will this affect Standby lines? According to the ny times article Disney believes this is the average patrons experience:
"Disney World guests currently plod through entrance turnstiles, redeeming paper tickets, and then decide what to ride; food and merchandise are bought with cash or credit cards. (Disney hotel key cards can also be used to charge items.) People race to FastPass kiosks, which dispense a limited number of free line-skipping tickets. But gridlock quickly sets in and most people wait. And wait." The FP+ is designed to "fix" that problem.

This Orlando Sentinal article shares more of Tom Staggs vision.

Pure Speculation:
Will deluxe resorts get more than 3 FP+?
Will people be able to purchase FP+ extra packages? no official notice but two separate reports claim that pay per play could coming next. Three for free and then pay.
Will people be able to purchase FP+ one at a time on demand? (wild speculation)
Is this based on the followingYield Management concepts? check out this site for a description.
Will dynamic pricing be introduced next? Different park pricing for different days of the week, times of the year, parks? (click here for hints from the Orlando Sentinal.)
Is this all tied to together with the reduction of EMH?
Connected to rumors of No FD offers?
Taking the non-expiration ticket offer off the webpage?

Here is one possible outcome of the magic bands from Luna Park.

Opinions from disboard posts:
Doug7856 provides a great explanation of how these changes affects individuals in different ways.
A balanced perspective from "educated user" Rileygirl can be found on this post!
Ninja mom talks from experience about meeting those pre arranged FP times.
MichiganDVC paints a very peaceful picture of how FP+ will work for him.
MAGICFOR2 wrote a letter to Disney and got a response.
Colleen27 - Fastpass+ system collapse under its own weight?
Excellent analysis from mbrittb00 about FP+ and FP coexisting. The numbers don't look good.
Finedice provides a scenario for bonus fastpass distribution ("surprise and delight" passes).
Good post about fastpass + and possible motive of Disney.

ORIGINAL THREAD - FP+ What we know and what we want to know.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 01-24-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Updates from our disboard community:
  • Tink10 (1/23/13) Was just making some dining ressies & a link came up to convert physical tickets in my account....It asks for a will call confirmation number.
  • Cheesemouse (1/23/2013) "I'm about 45 days out, have an on-site reservation booked, tickets purchased through disney, and ME booked and can not reserve FP+ times at this point. Heck, I can't even find a button/spot/location where I will do this in the future. Stay tuned..."

Last edited by bcrook; 01-23-2013 at 08:10 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Wow! I bet that was some kind of record.. For hitting 250 pages so fast...

Good luck with the updates.. Still wondering about that here and now button...

Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
bcrook
DIS Veteran

links to FP+ reports as they come in...

We can link up peoples stories and reports here.

Original Thread: FP+ What we know and what we want to know

Last edited by bcrook; 01-22-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
MK2010
Mouseketeer

This was actually a good post/thread. Thanks for posting all of it. I read through it and understood a little bit more about what we know and where FP+ is going. (perhaps)
ASMu 2009
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Rosanne
DIS Veteran

Before I go to catch some ZZZ's... I just wanted to say,

Thanks bcrook for your hard work and endless patience!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
Wow! I bet that was some kind of record.. For hitting 250 pages so fast...

Good luck with the updates.. Still wondering about that here and now button...
That "Here and Now" button clear up a lot of questions as soon as they make it live.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Thanks for doing this.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2010 View Post
This was actually a good post/thread. Thanks for posting all of it. I read through it and understood a little bit more about what we know and where FP+ is going. (perhaps)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Before I go to catch some ZZZ's... I just wanted to say,

Thanks bcrook for your hard work and endless patience!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
Thanks for doing this.
Your Welcome! I look forward to part II.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Checking in! Great job - thanks again
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
interstate70s
DIS Veteran

So here is another thought, pages ago now, bcrook brought up in the T and C possible "FP+ sets" instead of choosing 3 individual tiered FP+. This made me think of all the talk of "personalizing the experience" So perhaps because you have a 4 year old daughter in your profile, You may choose a set that includes ETWB and LM, or if you have toddler boys your set might be, Dumbo, Buzz, and a charcter greet. Or maybe, a focused on one land, like a set that offered FP+BTM and the Mark Twain and who knows what else they could pair with that. Anyway, just more wild unfounded speculation. The Disney Familytime sweepstakes reminds me of that too, pick your experience type of thing. Not really great if your traveling with people with different tastes and ages.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

So glad we have a centralized thread here to discuss this. I lurked a bit on the first thread and stopped by the first post every week or so to see what was new. Thanks for keeping this updated, bcrook! Now, back to my regularly scheduled waiting and watching...

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Disney needs to realize they have three types of park visitors:

1) Family/Group on once a year (or more) trip. FP+ can be great for them
2) FL residents (or out-of-state visitors) w/APs who visit only a few or several times a year. FP+ can be handy but if they're meeting up w/locals or family/friends from out of town, scheduling ride reservations can get unwieldy
3) FL residents w/APs who visit several times a month. FP+ is leaving this guest high and dry. Sounding more like Universal's ExpressPass (albeit free) but it's just not as flexible as the current FP system and will make adding on another guest (friend of a kid, out of town visitor) one big P.I.T.A.

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Part II-

More clear discussion.
Less Lugnut.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
bcrook
DIS Veteran

I was browsing through the material in the first post to see if everything is updated and read this quote from Tom Staggs again:

"Like most people who visit Walt Disney World Resort, my family and I have our “must-do” attractions, and as the father of three boys, those attractions often end with the word “mountain.” Now, rather than dashing as a group, or even splitting up to gather FastPasses, imagine booking guaranteed ride times for your favorite shows and attractions even before setting foot in the park."

That quote doesn't really match up with what we know...(or think we know).
Closed Thread

Tags
fastpass+, fp+, magicbands, mymagic+

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: