Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
TheWigs
Earning My Ears

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

Will you guys explain this to me. I have read about it as much as I could and it looks awesome!!!! How does it work and where do you play? My kiddos would love this!
TheWigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

It's really easy. Just sign in at the HQ on Main Street, they'll walk you through the basics of the game, give you your starter set of cards & a map for the portals & send you on your way. The portals are hidden throughout the park but the more you play the more obvious they are.

Basically your clues send you in circles within an area of MK (like when you start on Main St your clues will keep sending you to Main St portals until the end of the round & then tell you which part of the park to start your next session of the game.... so you aren't running from Main St to Adventureland & then Fantasyland.)

My niece loved getting involved in this & while DD wasn't interested in playing, she LOVED helping to find the portals & watch while DN played. We were able to work each 'round' in while we were in between attractions.

After you finish the entire 'round' (I think youhave to defeat 9 villans?) then you can go back to HQ to start another game. You keep accumulating cards this way, giving you more spells to defeat the villans.

It was way more fun/less time involved than I expected it to be!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Nixie
DIS Veteran

We kinda stumbled upon this on our last trip. First you sign up at either the Main Street Firehouse or somewhere in Liberty Square. They will give you a starter pack of cards and yor key card which is what you use to "open" the "portals. They also give you a very generic map of where the portals are. You go to the first portal they direct you to. Stand on the Sorcerer Circle and touch your key card to the "lock" underneath the portal. The portal will activate and you pretty much follow what it says to do. When you need to move on to the next portal, they will show a picture of the portal you need to go to. Remember that because it is more helpful than the map is sometimes. Also sometimes it will ask you to show your "sorcerer's crest". It is the back of any of the playing cards. It took me forever to figure it out! The spell cards are alot of fun to collect. Each "spell" does something different and they can be combined by holding up 2 - 4 cards at the same time. With your park ticket, you can get one extra pack of cards a day. Hope this helps! If you have anymore questions, just ask!

Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWigs View Post
Will you guys explain this to me. I have read about it as much as I could and it looks awesome!!!! How does it work and where do you play? My kiddos would love this!
See here: www.sotmkblog.com
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
cmh314
Mouseketeer

My DS7 is very excited about doing this in April. I'm trying to understand how it all works. Can you pick up the cards in the morning and then wait to play until you're ready to take a break from rides later in the day, or do you have to start playing when you get your cards. Once you complete the first "mission" do you have to go back to HQ to do another or can you go to a new land and start there on your own. I'm sure it will all make more sense once we're there, but I'm having trouble picturing the whole process. TIA!
cmh314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh314 View Post
My DS7 is very excited about doing this in April. I'm trying to understand how it all works.

1. Can you pick up the cards in the morning and then wait to play until you're ready to take a break from rides later in the day, or do you have to start playing when you get your cards.

2. Once you complete the first "mission" do you have to go back to HQ to do another or can you go to a new land and start there on your own. I'm sure it will all make more sense once we're there, but I'm having trouble picturing the whole process. TIA!
1. Yes, depending on what you mean by "mission". Each land has a mission, and you are sent to the next land automatically when the time comes. At the end of playing all missions/lands, you level-up to the next hardest tier and I think that does require a stop by "HQ".

2. No.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My DS7 is very excited about doing this in April. I'm trying to understand how it all works. Can you pick up the cards in the morning and then wait to play until you're ready to take a break from rides later in the day, or do you have to start playing when you get your cards. Once you complete the first "mission" do you have to go back to HQ to do another or can you go to a new land and start there on your own. I'm sure it will all make more sense once we're there, but I'm having trouble picturing the whole process. TIA!
It's completely at your leisure. You can start/stop/pause any time within a day or over many days. You can get your cards first thing & wait til lunchtime to start. One 'mission' takes you through multiple villans/lands..... when you defeat all 9, you start over again by checking back at HQ.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

The PP have explained it pretty well, I'd just add in a few notes.

They stop handing out cards one hour prior to park closing (at least in October, they did). So, the Firehouse and the station at Liberty Square were not open during EMH.

I'd allow about 30-45 minutes to defeat a villain. There are a number of cut scenes that take time to watch. Also, if it's busy and there are people ahead of you in line, you might see the entire scene before it's your turn!

I found that on the easiest level (the one you start at), it doesn't really matter what card you use because any card/combo will eventually defeat the villain. I've read that in the harder levels it matters more.

Collecting cards is a lot of fun! You can get one additional pack per day per valid ticket.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
meowmarie
DIS Veteran

Dumb question but do you get anything if you finish? Certificate? Free trip?

11/14 OKW ~ 2/13 POP ~ 2/12 DLR ~ 12/09 POP ~ 8/08 FWC ~ 6 pre-2000 trips (I've lost track!)
meowmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Misti315
Mouseketeer

My friend was just telling me about this yesterday and I had never heard of it. I think my 11 to DD will love this!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmarie
Dumb question but do you get anything if you finish? Certificate? Free trip?
Personal satisfaction.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
Nixie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You can start the game whenever. It isn't like Perry Missions where they are timed. You will be directed to which land you are supposed to start in. Each land has like 6 or so portals in it. After you are finished with your mission, you can either stop or you will be directed to a new land to start in. You can stop and start the missions at anytime for example, hubby and I were doing ours in Adventureland. We stopped to ride PoC. Then continued with the mission. When it finished we were told we could continue on in Frontierland. We decided to wait until the our next MK day which was like 2 days from then.

Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

If you have 2 kids do you do just 1 mission or 2?

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2
You can ask to do it either way.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
When you sign up for the game, they will ask you how many key cards you want (you can get one per player if you want), but the CMs can't control where you must go for your mission. So if you opt for two key cards (i.e., two missions), there is no guarantee that both will be in the same land. So it's possible (and likely) the child A will start in Fantasyland and child B will start in Adventureland. Along those same lines, each key card tracks the missions separately, so you can't combine the defeated villains to "level up" (you'll essentially have to face all of the villains twice to complete both key cards).

The CMs seem to generally recommend that families opt to have one key card; that way they stay together when playing the game. Depending on the age of your children, you could have the alternate spell castings/portals or something like that.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: