Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
eyesing4u
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesMom
My cousin was in the same boat about two years ago and sailed with no problem. He owed back child support but they were taking a little bit at a time so he didn't have to pay it in one lump sum. He also could not get a passport but had no problems sailing with a BC. Sailed DCL two years ago and just sailed Carnival in November.
Thank you! That is the answer I was hoping for! I realize I should ask an attorney but at least I know it is in the realm of possibility. DCFS took her away from her mom and gave him custody and he's been trying really hard to give her a good home! Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

My understand is when child support is over $5000 in the arrears is when they deny a passport. If he is that far behind then I would think that his licence is also suspended. I do not know if DCL runs the ID or if it doesn't matter. I would call DCL and find out before I were to book.
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
Nannylisad
Nannylisad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesing4u

Thank you! That is the answer I was hoping for! I realize I should ask an attorney but at least I know it is in the realm of possibility. DCFS took her away from her mom and gave him custody and he's been trying really hard to give her a good home! Thanks!
Good luck. I had no idea that lack of payment of child support could deny a passport. I know first hand that if a parents takes a child with a different last name out of the country, with out "two" parents present or anything off... you may get grilled. It has happened twice to me and daughter. Make sure he has good ID linking him to his girl.:0) I always take several ID so there is no problem proving she is mine.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
ssnow32539
Earning My Ears

My sister also had this problem. She wasn't able to get a passport, but she was able to sail on several cruises with me with only a picture ID and her birth certificate. Also, just because they suspend your license doesn't mean that you don't still have it. My sister had hers suspended about every three months because child support and the Florida court system couldn't communicate with each other. It's a long story... Her license would get suspended even though she was making her payments on time every month. With that being said, she never had the license confiscated. You can still use it as photo ID, even if it is suspended.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

March 24-28, 2013 Dream - 4 nights
November 17-20, 2011 Dream - 3 nights
January 8-15, 2011 Magic - 7 nights
April 24-27, 2008 Wonder - 3 nights
July 1-8, 2006 Magic - 7 night
....and a whole bunch of trips to WDW thrown in between...too many to count.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #20
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

I'm really glad this question was asked! I'm taking my older children on a cruise in May and had previously seen where people were unable to get passports due to owed child support, but i didn't even think about if it could be a problem in boarding. He pays every month, and there is no "charges" against him because of it, but a very valid point!

Wonder 12/21/08, Dream 03/27/12, Fantasy 07/14/12, Dream 10/07/12, Dream 10/11/12, Fantasy 05/25/13, Magic 12/22/13, Magic 12/27/13, Magic 12/30/13, Fantasy 05/31/14
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

I'm a domestic relations attorney in Georgia and handle things like child support. I am not aware of any law that limits where a person can travel due to owed child support or alimony. (now someone like me may bring up the fact that he is traveling, regardless of who pays the bill, in hearing related to the back child support) He can be denied a drivers license but should be able to get some form of ID. Assuming we're not talking about outstanding warrants I don't see a problem. However, I have never had this issue come up nor have I researched it.

2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjen519
I'm a domestic relations attorney in Georgia and handle things like child support. I am not aware of any law that limits where a person can travel due to owed child support or alimony. (now someone like me may bring up the fact that he is traveling, regardless of who pays the bill, in hearing related to the back child support) He can be denied a drivers license but should be able to get some form of ID. Assuming we're not talking about outstanding warrants I don't see a problem. However, I have never had this issue come up nor have I researched it.
Here is the link to the federal law about child support and passports. I was wrong and it is $2,500 in arrears....

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi...amily_863.html
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #23
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesing4u View Post
1- A cruise would be nice for them, it sounds like they've been through a lot.
2- Hopefully he's going to get a judge to vacate the child support order QUICKLY if he now has custody of the child. I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard under these circumstances. Then again, family court can be ridiculous.
3- He will probably want to travel with some official paperwork showing that DFCS removed the child from her mother. That way, if anyone asks if he has permission from the other parent to remove the child from the country (it can be required, although usually isn't), he can show that it wouldn't be necessary/possible to get.

Best of luck and he should really consult with his lawyer about these issues. It would be worth the hour or so of lawyer fees not to run into any trouble on the cruise.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsh View Post
Here is the link to the federal law about child support and passports. I was wrong and it is $2,500 in arrears....

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi...amily_863.html

I guess I wasn't very clear. You can certainly be denied passports, have various licenses taken but what I meant was they won't stop you from cruising if you have your birth certificate and a government issued ID. They should be able to get some form of ID card without having a drivers license or passport.

2015October 8 days poly cl tpv March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 4 days GF RPC Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #25
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911 View Post
Maybe you would consider gifting your friend's child support instead and he or she could repay you in the future when things are more stable?
Great advice!

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #26
livie1205
DIS Veteran

I dont know this guys story and its his buisness but if MY ex went on a cruise while being 20,000 behind ( yeh and still has his DL) I would be TICKED to say the least.I have a dss also and my dh has NEVER missed a cs payment and I would have no respect for him if he did not pay his cs.I know how it feels to be on the other side of that.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #27
eyesing4u
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livie1205
I dont know this guys story and its his buisness but if MY ex went on a cruise while being 20,000 behind ( yeh and still has his DL) I would be TICKED to say the least.I have a dss also and my dh has NEVER missed a cs payment and I would have no respect for him if he did not pay his cs.I know how it feels to be on the other side of that.
Really? And do you know what it is like to be out of work for over a year and raise your daughter and still have back child support hanging over your head? This response has nothing to do with the question I asked! I would appreciate it if one of the mods would close this thread .
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #28
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesing4u View Post
Really? And do you know what it is like to be out of work for over a year and raise your daughter and still have back child support hanging over your head? This response has nothing to do with the question I asked! I would appreciate it if one of the mods would close this thread .
Before they do, have a great cruise eyesing!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #29
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

These boards can be great, but then there are several people who feel the need to be judgemental! Have a great cruise! I hope the valid advice helped you, and as I posted before I'm glad you asked this question!

Wonder 12/21/08, Dream 03/27/12, Fantasy 07/14/12, Dream 10/07/12, Dream 10/11/12, Fantasy 05/25/13, Magic 12/22/13, Magic 12/27/13, Magic 12/30/13, Fantasy 05/31/14
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #30
eyesing4u
DVC Member

Thank you to everyone who has been so informative! And we will definitely enjoy our cruise! Leaving tomorrow!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: