Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
eyesing4u
DVC Member

Question Denied Boarding

Has anyone ever been refused from boarding due to back child support owed? I know that you can not get a passport, but you can board with a birth certificate and an ID on closed loop cruises. And before anybody gets judgemental this would be a gift for someone. Thanks for any info!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Well...there was just a posted news item today about a woman who was arrested as she got off from her cruise because of a bench warrant for an unpaid fine from 20 years earlier.

Would someone be denied boarding? Possibly not. Would their name come to someone's attention and float to the top of a list while on the cruise? Possible. Would they endure similar to the woman in the aforementioned news item? I wouldn't want to chance it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Maybe you would consider gifting your friend's child support instead and he or she could repay you in the future when things are more stable?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
eyesing4u
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911
Maybe you would consider gifting your friend's child support instead and he or she could repay you in the future when things are more stable?
Clearly this is not was I was asking. I shouldn't have to explain that this would be a gift for him and his daughter and I am free to choose how I spend my money. I should have known better than to ask on this board. My bad. I will go to Cruise Critic and ask on the Carnival board.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesing4u View Post
Clearly this is not was I was asking. I shouldn't have to explain that this would be a gift for him and his daughter and I am free to choose how I spend my money. I should have known better than to ask on this board. My bad. I will go to Cruise Critic and ask on the Carnival board.
That's a good question. I guess there would have to be some violation of a court order? But I can't believe that anyone would be denied boarding for that. There's nothing in the Disney Contract that says that. Can you imagine if it stated "no felonies"! (BTW, I don't know if it does, does it?) Good luck eyesing!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

As long as the back support owed hasn't resulted in a warrant, I can't imagine it would cause an issue.

If there are any active warrants, then I'd think your friend wouldn't want their name run through law enforcement computers.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Again, as a PP noted, I don't think DCL will run any kind of background check before boarding that would flag anything. What gets run during the cruise behind the scenes by Homeland Security or what the customs/immigration agents can see when they return is an open question.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean

Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Can't you lose your driver's license for failure to pay child support? So he's going to use some sort of ID other than a driver's license? The point of not being able to get a passport is so that one cannot travel.

There was a news article about a person being arrested for an old warrant when trying to cruise.

My guess is that if this person is in violation of the law (which it sounds like he/she is based on your original post) that he/she can indeed be denied boarding. Of course, they have to catch him first. And that doesn't even address the issues of whether he can take the child out of the country without permission from the other parent...which would of course get into the court orders surrounding the divorce and custody issues.

I think I'll stop at this point as anything else I'd say would cross into the realm of the judgemental.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
neg58
DIS Veteran

Just because someone is behind in child support and cannot get a passport or license of some sort (even fishing licenses can be withheld) doesn't mean there is a warrant out for that person. Many states now use a registry in the court system to track child support, and anyone diliquent is reported to the State Dept and cannot get a passport. Doesn't mean he's a criminal, just behind and one of the penalties is no passport/license renewals until it is cleared up.

I think he would be fine with a BC and ID. No agency is looking for him. A closed loop cruise will bring him back to where he started.

If there is a warrant out because he is so behind that it has been reduced to judgment and he has failed to appear when ordered to, I wouldn't risk it. Honestly, if he still has some visitation it is unlikely that there is a warrant out for him since the court would know exactly where to find him.

Just my opinion and NOT legal advice.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
eyesing4u
DVC Member

He has custody of his daughter and these are back monies that are owed. I just know he wasn't able to get a passport.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I think you need a lawyer or DCL on this one before you book.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
OrlandoDisneyFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911 View Post
The OP was asking a question and asked that we reserve any judgement. If you don't know the answer to his/her question, there was no need to post your suggestion.

Last edited by OrlandoDisneyFan; 01-22-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
starry_solo
DIS Veteran

No one here is really going to know the answer to your question. Even if someone worked for Department of Homeland Security, I highly doubt they would advertise it.

I also wouldn't take what people on the boards say as gospel. They can tell you their experiences, etc., but as far as what will really happen, no one knows until your friend and his daughter go on the ship.

Will the arrears in child support show up on a DHS security check? Who knows?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
NoodlesMom
Mouseketeer

My cousin was in the same boat about two years ago and sailed with no problem. He owed back child support but they were taking a little bit at a time so he didn't have to pay it in one lump sum. He also could not get a passport but had no problems sailing with a BC. Sailed DCL two years ago and just sailed Carnival in November.
Pop Century 7/2007- 1st Trip-- Disney Cruise on the Magic 2009--Pop Century 6/2010-- One Night Premium B-day trip ASsp/Dolphin 9/2010-- Saratoga Springs Resort 7/2011 -- Beach Club Villas/Disney Dream 9/2011!Disney Dream 02/13 Adults Only!11/13 Disney Dream/ Swan Thanksgiving Surf and Turf!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: