Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
becca-becca
DIS Veteran

Bringing a Friend

Is one able to bring one of their children's friends with them? My DS age 15 has a friend he would like to bring (also age 15), but I did not know if you were allowed to do that with customs and getting on a boat if the parents or legal guardians were not with you. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
neg58
DIS Veteran

Sure. The documents his parents need to complete are in the paperwork you'll get from Disney.

I'd recommend you require him to have a passport. So much easier.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

My experience is from a Canadian perspective but hopefully it will be helpful to you.

I have often travelled to the US with my niece. I go to the Canadian customs site and search for information about travelling with a minor. One of the options is a letter that can be completed to take the child out of Canada. My brother completed and signed this letter each time I travelled with my niece. I kept it with me each time I crossed the border.

I'm guessing something similar would be used in the US and displayed if questioned. (I have only once been asked to provide the letter of proof at the border)

Cruising is new to me though so it may be a little different. Since another thread is saying that a child only needs to have their KTTW card scanned to get on and off the ship I'm guessing you would need to provide the letter granting permission to travel with the child at the original check-in.

Hopefully someone with specific experience can help you more.

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

D niece travelled with us on our Alaskan trip. We had a notarized letter signed by both parents stating she would be in traveling under our supervision during the specified timeframe and would include air, bus, automobile travel as well as transportation on the ship. We also stated that this trip would involve travel between the US and Canada. We also carried a copy of her health insurance information as well as their contact information.

We didn't have any issues.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

DCL requires their form signed by a parent. DCL's form is on the website and in the documents they will send you.

I required the kids to have passports, a letter authorizing me to make any medical or legal decisions while traveling, and travel insurance.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
slg
DIS Veteran

I'm bringing my son's friend in August. He turns 18 on the day the cruise starts. Do I still need to bring any forms or is he now considered an adult?

This is an alaskan cruise.
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg
I'm bringing my son's friend in August. He turns 18 on the day the cruise starts. Do I still need to bring any forms or is he now considered an adult?

If he is eighteen when he boards the ship, then he is an adult. If he turns eighteen the next day, then he begins as a minor and you will need the letter.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
AngelDisney
Dream a Disney Dream 0[;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinginontario View Post
My experience is from a Canadian perspective but hopefully it will be helpful to you.

I have often travelled to the US with my niece. I go to the Canadian customs site and search for information about travelling with a minor. One of the options is a letter that can be completed to take the child out of Canada. My brother completed and signed this letter each time I travelled with my niece. I kept it with me each time I crossed the border.

I'm guessing something similar would be used in the US and displayed if questioned. (I have only once been asked to provide the letter of proof at the border)

Cruising is new to me though so it may be a little different. Since another thread is saying that a child only needs to have their KTTW card scanned to get on and off the ship I'm guessing you would need to provide the letter granting permission to travel with the child at the original check-in.

Hopefully someone with specific experience can help you more.

I am travelling with my daughter (who will be 16 at the time) on the Med cruise in August. I read somewhere that a parent travelling alone with a minor needed a notarized consent letter from the other parent. My husband will not be cruising with us this summer, and I will be visiting Paris and Vienna before the cruise. Should I get one? Does it have to be notarized if my daughter is 16 and I am her mom who is still married to her dad?

Thanks and have fun planning!

AngelDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Normally DCL requires nothing as this is YOUR child. The only exception would be if any of the countries you are visiting have special requirements.

It never hurts to have a letter from the absent parent, but it is not required.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg View Post

A little OT from the subject of parental permission...but I assume you know that at 18 the friend will NOT be allowed access to the kids clubs even if your son is still a minor. DCL will not bend the "no adult" rules even for Vibe. If your son is also at least 18, then no issue as they'll both be able to access the adult areas together.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Normally DCL requires nothing as this is YOUR child. The only exception would be if any of the countries you are visiting have special requirements.

It never hurts to have a letter from the absent parent, but it is not required.
Most countries require nothing but a passport. Since both parents must agree to the passport, the assumption is that any travel is approved. (I do know a divorced couple whose children's passports are held by an appointee of the court and any time either needs to travel, they must seek court permission. Lovely family, right?)

When Canada and Mexico didn't require passports, those were the two countries that required the notarized letters. Many abductions, even by other relatives, over the borders. Now Mexico doesn't care at all, and Canada is a little looser and usually will accept just the passport, but of course it is the 'usually' you have to worry about.

When my daughter was younger, I carried a copy of her birth certificate and even her old Chinese passport with me even when I flew domestically. I had no ID for her, she didn't look like me, she couldn't explain to anyone who she was or who I was. Never asked for it. She's since been to Mexico with my brother (same last name), China, on a cruise, and flown domestically all over - never questioned.

My other daughter is traveling to Paris on a school trip. I haven't been asked for anything except her passport.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca-becca
Is one able to bring one of their children's friends with them? My DS age 15 has a friend he would like to bring (also age 15), but I did not know if you were allowed to do that with customs and getting on a boat if the parents or legal guardians were not with you. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I just did this a week ago. My DD brought her friend. We had the notarized letter/permission slip Disney requested. They photocopied the note and handed it back. She only traveled with her original BC. I did have to fill out a separate custom form. But the customs guy didn't question anything. I think he asked her what her birthdate was. But he asked the same question to my daughter.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDisney

I am travelling with my daughter (who will be 16 at the time) on the Med cruise in August. I read somewhere that a parent travelling alone with a minor needed a notarized consent letter from the other parent. My husband will not be cruising with us this summer, and I will be visiting Paris and Vienna before the cruise. Should I get one? Does it have to be notarized if my daughter is 16 and I am her mom who is still married to her dad?

Thanks and have fun planning!
I didn't need anything from my husband when I flew and cruised with my DD. I travel a lot with my kids and not with my husband and I've never been questioned. The same goes for crossing the bridge into Canada. Never questioned about permission from the other parent.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca-becca View Post
My DS 14 brought a friend last year. We just had his parents sign the release form stating we were able to take him. We did make sure the child had a passport in case anything happened, we knew it would be hard to fly back from an island unless he had the passport. Very simple and the kids had a blast.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

We are bringing my DD's BFF on our Fantasy cruise this June. We already knew the child had a passport so we will just need to get the slip signed by the parents giving us permission to take her. I also plan to get a medical waiver and a copy of her medical insurance info to take with us.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: