Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Arriving after dinner at a "Red" park?

I am doing preliminary planning for our late May trip. Our park days will be Monday thru Friday (5/20-5/24). I've been looking at easywdw and undercover tourist. It's looking like it'll be a smidge more crowded than I'm used to but I'm a WDW Vet so I'm sure I can handle it. We are travelling with first-timers this time, though, and don't want to scare them to death with commando touring or HUGE crowds.

On our Day 1, I am seeing Epcot as the highly recommended park. We will head there in the morning and concentrate on Future World and head out around lunchtime when the crowds get heavy and the heat gets steamy. We like to head out to a different park after dinner. I was thinking of the Magic Kingdom since we'll be with first timers. This park is a RED park for that day since most people like to hit the MK on the first day of their vacations.

Do you think we'd be ok if we waited til late afternoon/evening to head to the MK? We would be going just to SEE the park, maybe hit a few rides that didn't have lines, see the MSEP and see Wishes. MK is open until 10:00 that night.

Opinions??

I know a fall back would be to head back to Epcot for WS and Illuminations but my first-timers aren't thrilled with going to Epcot at all. One is a 7 year old boy. The other is his mother (my childhood BFF) who went once when she was around her son's age and remembers Epcot as being the most BORING place on earth and so she's passed this knowledge and opinion onto him haha. I supposed we could attempt the MK and if it was too crazy we could take the monorail over to Epcot instead (the beauty of hopper passes!)?

Oh! One dumb question! I haven't stayed at a monorail resort since 1986 and have only ridden it 1 or 2 times since. Does the monorail go from MK to Epcot? or would we have to transfer?

Ok that's it! THANKS!!

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!
klwdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

*bump*

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
ktlm
DIS Veteran

What I don't like about your plan is the leaving Epcot around lunchtime part since WS doesn't open until 11:00 p.m. They may not be excited about Epcot now, but if that 7 year old is in any way a Phineas and Ferb fan (which in my experience with my almost 7 year old DD and her friends most of them are), if he does one of the Perry Missions in World Showcase he will be hooked. My DD went nuts over them, and she teamed up with 2 seven year old boys in different countries doing the missions and they had a terrific time. My DD has always been a huge Epcot fan any way, but those were her absolute favorite thing at Epcot this last trip.

As far as MK being a red park, on days like that, we have spent the day at another park and then hopped over for the evening at MK even though it was red to see the evening entertainment or pick up a couple of rides. There is nothing wrong with that plan. It will be crowded, but you can still have fun. On those nights we usually stick to the rides that usually have shorter lines and don't try for any of the "mountains" etc.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Oh don't worry. WS is my favorite part about Epcot! We're just doing that part another day. I break Epcot and MK up and do half one day and half another. We don't spend as much time at HS or AK so those we bang out in 1 visit.

thanks for your Evening MK input!! i think we'll attempt that plan after all

Dumb question. If we get to MK and it's too insane and we decide to hop to Epcot for their evening activities instead, do we just jump on the MK Monorail and take it straight to Epcot, or would we need to change monorails??

Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

You need to transfer from the MK monorail to the Epcot monorail at the TTC.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Glad I asked!! Thanks!!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

I don't see anything wrong with you plan as long as you are mostly going to MK to see the nighttime parade/fireworks. You may be able to do a few attractions, but don't count on it as it will likely be crowded. I might stay at Epcot a little longer and leave around 1-3 depending on what time dinner is and where dinner is.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Yeah we'll probably head out around 1:30/2 (after eating something in WS for lunch) and taking a pool/nap/resort break and then head back out around 5 for the MK (maybe have dinner at the POR food court on our way).

Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

If you are eating quick service for dinner, I would probably go to the MK and stake out a spot for the parade and have some people save seats while the rest of you go get quick service food. That way you are saving your spot and eating. We often do this so you don't feel like you are wasting time sitting there waiting for the parade. We usually get Casey's Hotdogs. It depends on the time of the parade and how late you are able to eat.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: