Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #31
Octoberbaby
Mouseketeer

I am worried now. Would the week after Easter bring a stage 4 closing for MK? Planning on leaving mid day on a Wed and returning for dinner at BOG.
Octoberbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #32
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
As a Disney resort guest you are only guaranteed access to A park.Not neccessarily the park of your choice.If MK hits a phase 4 closing, NO ONE gets in.Including those with pre-paid dining, and YES you can be charged as a no show.
I must admit I find this one kind of baffling. not the stage 4 closure, but the charge for the no-show. Has anyone ever experienced this and successfully gotten Disney to remove the charge?

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #33
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I would get there early and leave when I originally planned. If the park is somehow closed to you due to capacity, it likely wouldn't be much fun anyway.

I consider being charged a no-show fee weird when you can't get into the park.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #34
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I'd think the 4th of July might be the only day in that area where there could be issues, and then only with Magic Kingdom.
We were at MK on July 4th a few years ago during Stage 4... yikes, it was rough . Probably the only time I've ever wished I WASN'T at the parks!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #35
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At a stage 4 there are no exceptions made. No restaurant reservations. Nothing. And yes, it counts as a no-show for credit card holds or prepayment. But as noted Stage 4 enclosures are rare. Bike Week is not going to cause one, nor did Mardi Gras.
Sorry, did not mean to suggest those two events would (normally) bring the park to capacity- in and of themselves.

The most crowded I have ever seen MK though was the year we got stuck in Orlando right after Daytona. There was a huge storm that went acros the country- and many flights were cancelled. I think many folks who were in FL for Daytona (and anything else) also got stranded in FL, so many of them decided to go to MK for the day. There are also many conventions in FL, so perhaps that ws a factor. Lots of folks were weaing racing gear, so that's why everyone thought many of them were from Daytona. The line to get on the monorail at the TTC was over an hour deep!

I still find it hard to believe that Disney would allow the parks to reach level 4- knowing that a certain number of folks have ADR's - and that they would be charged as no shows. I can understand letting the parks get that full before the no-show policy was in place, but I find it hard to believe they would do it under the new policy.

I've been at WDW many times during Easter week, and never seen the parks closed due to capacity. Then again- I usually try to dodge the worst crowds. If I'm at WDW on a holiday, I would tend to avoid MK that day. (AK is usually the least crowded, Epcot will be crowded, but has high capacity. On Easter day, I would only do TT with aFP, skip Soarin', and focus much of the day doing things that don't have a line - like gardens, gift shops, live WS shows, etc.)

If there happened to be a storm such as the one I describe (they do happpen periodically in winter) Then I suppose there's a cance you could see somethiing like what I describe above. If such a thing happens, you may find yourself happier to skip MK.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #36
susienut1
Earning My Ears

Was wondering if they typically later on in the evening reopen the park to returning guests or once it's closed it's closed?

We're going Easter week and trying to figure out if we could leave in the afternoon and return after dinner for parade? Or do we have to stay all day in make sure we don't get shut out later?

We are not staying on site, do not have park hopper tickets and would be returing to the same park (magic kingdom)

I know that once when we were at Magic Kingdom on during easter week they did close because when we were leaving after lunch they said we might not be able to get back in.
susienut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #37
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by susienut1 View Post
Was wondering if they typically later on in the evening reopen the park to returning guests or once it's closed it's closed?

We're going Easter week and trying to figure out if we could leave in the afternoon and return after dinner for parade? Or do we have to stay all day in make sure we don't get shut out later?

We are not staying on site, do not have park hopper tickets and would be returing to the same park (magic kingdom)

I know that once when we were at Magic Kingdom on during easter week they did close because when we were leaving after lunch they said we might not be able to get back in.
Yes it usually does reopen. They keep a count of everyone leaving and once it hits a certain point they start letting people back in. Though its not a 10 people leave 10 are let in.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #38
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
These type of guests also have priority to enter that same park, but can still be shut out in the final phase of closing, where no one gets in. They will not be upgraded to a hopper per se, but would be allowed to finish that day at another park.

Gotta do better than that.
Are you saying that they would be given some sort of one day comp ticket? First time I have never heard of this.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #39
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:

They do start letting people in as other guests leave, but there's no way of knowing where they'll be when you're ready to go back. It would be highly unlikely that they would be at stage 4 that late in the evening, but they could still be at stage 3. If they're still at stage 3, you won't be able to get in.

If I were staying offsite, I would either stay at the park or be prepared to upgrade to hoppers if necessary.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
susienut1
Earning My Ears

Is there anyway of official way of knowing when you are in the park how close they are to closing or what level?

A certain person to ask or a number to call?

Or if we leave and wanted to see if we could get back in later?
susienut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #41
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Are you saying that they would be given some sort of one day comp ticket? First time I have never heard of this.
I don't know the mechanics of it, but I'm pretty sure that if you didn't have a hopper ticket, then left a park with the expectation to return to it but couldn't due to a Phase 4 closure, that Disney allows you to complete your day at another park.

Quote:
Is there anyway of official way of knowing when you are in the park how close they are to closing or what level?

A certain person to ask or a number to call?

Or if we leave and wanted to see if we could get back in later?
Guest Relations inside the park would be your best bet.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #42
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I don't know the mechanics of it, but I'm pretty sure that if you didn't have a hopper ticket, then left a park with the expectation to return to it but couldn't due to a Phase 4 closure, that Disney allows you to complete your day at another park.

One time this was asked and Cheshire Figment posted that they would be directed to a ticket booth to upgrade to a PH.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #43
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
One time this was asked and Cheshire Figment posted that they would be directed to a ticket booth to upgrade to a PH.
Interesting. I don't expect it happens often, but if true that strikes me as "un-Disney".
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #44
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
still find it hard to believe that Disney would allow the parks to reach level 4- knowing that a certain number of folks have ADR's - and that they would be charged as no shows.
The parks have no way of knowing how many people have ADRs. When they reach full capacity for fire codes they have to stop letting people in, and that's that.

The restaurant has no way of knowing why the guests didn't show up - all they know is that they didn't show up.

If anyone misses their reservation because of a stage 4 closure they're probably welcome to call Disney Dining or visit a guest services desk or resort concierge and try to get the charge reversed - I'd guess that they'll probably get it reversed.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 02-21-2013 at 02:25 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #45
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The parks have no way of knowing how many people have ADRs. When they reach full capacity for fire codes they have to stop letting people in, and that's that.

The restaurant has no way of knowing why the guests didn't show up - all they know is that they didn't show up.
Huh?

Why would WDW staff know how the capacity of the park but not of each restaurant and how many people have ADR's? I can't imagine restaurant managers are not informed when the park has reached stage 3 or 4 closure.

WDW surely knows what % of guests re-enter the park each day. It's fairly simple to come up with a projected estimate of how many guests with ADR's will be among them.

It seems like the purpose of the new system is to track this information even more closely, at least if you are an onsite guest.

Maybe MK does reach level four. Maybe they will charge guests as no shows under those circumstances. As another poster said, it just sounds very un-Disney.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: