Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Road Trip to Arizona

We will drive from Texas to Arizona this summer, mostly to see the Grand Canyon. We want to take the opportunity to see some of Historic Route 66. Any advice on what to look for?

Also, any advice on places to visit in the Sedona area or good horseback riding experiences (for novices)?
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
jmpurcel
Earning My Ears

I live in Arizona. Route 66 in Williams is interesting. It’s only a few miles long but at night it kind of reminds me of something out of “Cars”. You could take the Grand Canyon railway from Williams to the Grand Canyon. I think they give you around 3 hours to explore the canyon and then you bring the train back. Its kind of a neat fun ride.

As for Sedona, I have a jeep and go there for a lot of the fun off-road trails. You could do a pink jeep tour. I would recommend one that does the broken arrow trail. It has some neat views and a fun trail exit that usually seems to scare the passenger’s lol. Also since you’re going in the summer I would hit up slide rock state park. This can be very busy in the summer but it’s really fun and neat. As for horseback riding I can’t really recommend anything since I have never done it. Also you should try the cowboy club. They have rattlesnake and cactus fries!

If It where me planning the trip, I would drive straight to Williams and do the canyon. Come back to flagstaff spend the night and explore sunset crater which is an old volcano that has lava tubes you can explore. I would also check out walnut canyon national park this was home to Native Americans who built cliff side dwellings. You can hike right into them. Then when I left flagstaff I would take the back way down to Sedona thru Oak Creek canyon via highway 89A. This will then bring you right into Sedona. The views and drive are very scenic. Then from Sedona I would either go to Jerome or maybe head back towards phoenix and visit Montezuma’s castle near Camp Verde. This is all assuming you will want to spend more time in the high country and not in the 115 degree heat lol.
jmpurcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. We love the off the beaten path stuff so it's always good to hear about those areas that are not written up in the tour book. Thank you so much!
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: