Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic3forme View Post
Every one in the party has to be there to check in now. ( they take your picture for your KTTW card)
If one member has the passports, that person can check in the entire group. If the driver/car returner has to have a picture taken, he can do it when he gets to the port, or they'll even take it on the gangway when you present your KTTW card for the first of many many swipings.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo1009 View Post
Followup to the other person's car rental question -

I'm thinking I would drop my family off 1/2 hour before PAT, then I would drop off the rental car, and shuttle back... I assume they'll let my family go inside the building to wait (even if it's before their PAT time) - is that right???
Probably, but not guaranteed, especially if you have a PAT prior to noon. Port Arrival Time is just that - the time you are expected to arrive at the port terminal. The terminal "officially" opens at 11:00am and potentially nobody could be allowed in earlier, though in reality it often opens some time after 10:30am. If it is very crowded (full sailings for the Dream or Fantasy), they MAY require someone with an 11:30-12:00 PAT to wait outside until 11:30am even if dropped off at 11:00am. Most likely those guests would be allowed into the terminal early but there is possibility of having to wait outside. If it's a large concern that they may wait outside, either drop off at or close to PAT or try to change to an earlier PAT.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The problem is that the fire marshal has designated a maximum number of people who can be in the terminal at any given time. This includes CMs and guests. Prior to the start of boarding, it is possible that guests arriving earlier than their PAT could cause this number to be exceeded; in that case they will be kept waiting outside.

Once boarding starts (about 11:45, sometimes earlier), there is no problem.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

glad I saw this thread, very helpful as I will be checking in for our first cruise next week. I would like to get on board as early as possible so hopefully I'll be able to get an 11:00 PAT, BUT you all are saying there's no sense really in actually arriving until 11:30-11:45, correct?
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013 - 2nd Family trip: AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ Yacht Club
*NEXT UP: 8/2014 - 2nd Kid-Free trip - WL *4/15 - 3rd Family Trip - AKL!*
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
glad I saw this thread, very helpful as I will be checking in for our first cruise next week. I would like to get on board as early as possible so hopefully I'll be able to get an 11:00 PAT, BUT you all are saying there's no sense really in actually arriving until 11:30-11:45, correct?
You don't go straight onboard when you arrive. You will need to go through security, then complete the health form, go to check-in and get your KTTW cards and boarding number assignment.

If you want minimal wait time - try arriving 12-12:30ish and you'll go through the above process fairly quickly and may be able to walk-on right after. If you don't mind a bit of a wait - both in line to do the above and waiting a bit more to board after check-in is completed - then you can do the PAT 11:00-11:30am and be in the early wave of guests boarding.

The crowds in the terminal will begin disspating once boarding starts around 11:45am. Sort of all depends on whether being on "early" is important enough to you to deal with some crowds and waiting, or you'd prefer boarding a little later and having minimal crowds/wait.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
You don't go straight onboard when you arrive. You will need to go through security, then complete the health form, go to check-in and get your KTTW cards and boarding number assignment.

If you want minimal wait time - try arriving 12-12:30ish and you'll go through the above process fairly quickly and may be able to walk-on right after. If you don't mind a bit of a wait - both in line to do the above and waiting a bit more to board after check-in is completed - then you can do the PAT 11:00-11:30am and be in the early wave of guests boarding.

The crowds in the terminal will begin disspating once boarding starts around 11:45am. Sort of all depends on whether being on "early" is important enough to you to deal with some crowds and waiting, or you'd prefer boarding a little later and having minimal crowds/wait.

Enjoy your cruise!
thanks. i don't mind a bit of a wait so i'm thinking I'll get 11-11:30 PAT and then plan to arrive around 11:30-11:45.
Glad to know I don't actually have to get there at 11:00
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013 - 2nd Family trip: AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ Yacht Club
*NEXT UP: 8/2014 - 2nd Kid-Free trip - WL *4/15 - 3rd Family Trip - AKL!*
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
There is no sense in arriving before your 11:00 time. If you arrive at 11, you should be thru the check in line and ready to board when your boarding group is called sometime from 11:30 on. If you arrive at 11:30, you need to go thru security and check in...so if your group is called at 11:45, you may not be quite ready. Not a big deal because as soon as you check in, you'll be able to board. You'll miss a few possible minutes on the ship.

Places you MAY encounter lines--outside terminal (waiting to get in/go thru security). At check in (there are like 30 desks to check in with 2 main lines (first timers vs. Castaway Club). There is a CM at the front of the lines directing guests to the next open station. This line moves fairly quickly. And finally, after checking in, waiting to board.

SO, at 10:30, there is often a line outside the doors to enter the terminal. When these people get in, those who did paperwork in advance move to the check in lines. Those who didn't make a stop at one of the many available tables to complete paperwork before getting into the line. And it flows from there.

If you want to board with NO waiting at any point, the best time is in the 12:30 -1:00 range. The early bird lines are gone and the traffic from the WDW buses hasn't started yet. Of course, that means you aren't boarding till 1, when you would have maybe boarded at 12 had you been there at 11:30.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Has anyone done this recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
If one member has the passports, that person can check in the entire group. If the driver/car returner has to have a picture taken, he can do it when he gets to the port, or they'll even take it on the gangway when you present your KTTW card for the first of many many swipings.

Nancy
Has anyone been recently successful with this technique?

Several years ago, my wife tried to check-in ahead of me, but they made her wait until I returned.

What documentation does my wife need to check-in? What documentation do I need?

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #24
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

So they don't have CMs handing out the boarding number cards at the top of the escalator any more? Do you get the cards at the check-in counter, or are there not even cards anymore?
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #25
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post
So they don't have CMs handing out the boarding number cards at the top of the escalator any more? Do you get the cards at the check-in counter, or are there not even cards anymore?
You are given your boarding number when you check in now.

DynamicDisneyDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #26
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicDisneyDuo View Post
You are given your boarding number when you check in now.
So have they eliminated the problem of people getting lower boarding numbers than they were entitled to? Or depending on which CM you went to, you could get a high number or a low number?
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #27
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So have they eliminated the problem of people getting lower boarding numbers than they were entitled to? Or depending on which CM you went to, you could get a high number or a low number?
AFAIK, the computer prints out the boarding number (at least at San Pedro it did) when you checkin. The number is in the computer, I guess. Now, if I were to complain after I received my number, who knows? Maybe I would have gotten a lower number.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
AFAIK, the computer prints out the boarding number (at least at San Pedro it did) when you checkin. The number is in the computer, I guess. Now, if I were to complain after I received my number, who knows? Maybe I would have gotten a lower number.
Your boarding number is directly linked to the PAT you selected. If you arrive at your PAT you will not wait long to board. If you arrive long before your PAT, you may be able to enter the terminal and check in but your boarding number will not change just because you are there early -- it will be the same no matter which CM you go to. This means that you will be hanging out waiting in the terminal until your higher boarding number is called, while people who arrive after you did - but at their correct PAT - will board the ship before you do.

I am sure there are people who complain...there usually is. However, DCL has implemented this system and it will only work if people follow it. I hope that the CMs stick to the number they are assigned. If they go back to just giving any number out, that really defeats the whole purpose of having the PATs in place.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
Has anyone been recently successful with this technique?

Several years ago, my wife tried to check-in ahead of me, but they made her wait until I returned.
We have done this every single year at PC -- except when we flew to Vancouver or LA and did not drive to the port. I have never had a problem presenting DH's PP or BC to the CM to check him in, which he kept his DL to enter the port area. He either joined me at the check in counter before we were finished, or he went to the CM who had checked us in to pick up his KTTW card. Actually, on the MV last year the CM just handed me his KTTW card to give to him.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #30
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

checkin while returning rental car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
We have done this every single year at PC -- except when we flew to Vancouver or LA and did not drive to the port. I have never had a problem presenting DH's PP or BC to the CM to check him in, which he kept his DL to enter the port area. He either joined me at the check in counter before we were finished, or he went to the CM who had checked us in to pick up his KTTW card. Actually, on the MV last year the CM just handed me his KTTW card to give to him.
Thanks for the confirmation! Will try again and hopefully wife will be successful with check-in while I return the rental car.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: