Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
Storm632
Mouseketeer

Just another recommendation. If you use a cane at Disney, you can get nice foldable ones. I used one and it stayed together with velco on my fanny pack when I was on rides, and then I was able to open it up and use it in between times. Great investment for when you are traveling!
Storm632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
whitrn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by asta View Post
I am not quite 3 months since knee replacement and I wonder if things will ever get so much better that I would be able to cope with walking the distances at WDW. I would appreciate if anyone can share their experience. Trying not to get discouraged but I don't think I could cope right now. I wonder if my recovery 6 or 8 months after surgery will be improved enough to make a trip possible.
Congrats on being 3 months out. Recovery may seem difficult now but slowly increase your PT and you'll be improved enough for WDW!
whitrn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
gjl
Mouseketeer

My FIL had both done at about age 70 and except for sitting down to take breaks (perfect to watch our DD who was just one at the time) he had no issues walking around WDW. I think at his age he would have taken breaks regardless of new knees! He was also dancing with his daughter (my DW) at our wedding just 10 months after both knees were done! PT and determination is your best bet!
gjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
Ausaki
Earning My Ears

trying to decide when to have knee surgery

I have been told that I need a knee replacement. I am 55. I have booked a DisneyWorld vacation for Aug 23/13 for granddaughters birthday. Last two years I had to rent a scooter, so could do it again if necessary. When would be the latest you would have the surgery and still fly to Disney? Or should I book it when we get home in September? I was thinking June would be the latest. They won't know date until April.
My concern is the rides...will I be able to go with my granddaughter on rides like Dinasaur and Everest, or will the knee be too sore? About a month ago my knee locked up and I couldn't even bend it to get in the car. I have been doing PT and it is pretty good now, but I wouldn't want that to happen again...terrribly painful! Thanks for the help
Ausaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Humphrey1227
Mouseketeer

I was 45 when I had my knee replacement. Before my surgery I did not use my leg muscles, I would swing my leg and not bend it. I had to do a lot of work building up my muscles. Went to disney at 6 months. I did do some rides, i just told the person that was loading i needed some extra time to get in and place my knee in a comfortable spot. It all depend if I was comfortable getting in and sitting on the ride. I got tired quickly. example at epcot i could walk and do 2 countries then I had to rest. Only did half of epcot and went back to the resort to rest. I also had an issue after my surgery but before disney "tia" blood clot luckly stop behind my eye. I would do the surgery after disney. I don't know how you are getting to disney, but remember you will have to sit on a plane or a car for how long. good luck, humphrey

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: