Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas

We are thinking of trying out the GWL for Spring Break and the closest one to us is in Kansas City Kansas. Is there anything else in the area to do, like a zoo, museum or something for kids ages 11, 9 and 7?

TIA!!

Me and DH DD (13) DD (11) DS (9)

4/03 ASMO/CBR 4/05 HOJO'S DL 4/07 NICK HOTEL/WH 4-5/09 NICK HOTEL/WH 6/10 WH 5-6/11 HOJO'S DL 6/12 WH/AKV/POLY 5-6/13WH 5-6/14 HOJO'S DL 8/14 CSR
BellaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBaby
We are thinking of trying out the GWL for Spring Break and the closest one to us is in Kansas City Kansas. Is there anything else in the area to do, like a zoo, museum or something for kids ages 11, 9 and 7?

TIA!!
Not sure but wanted to say watch groupon they have had several GWL deals in the past year
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

The GWL is by the NASCAR track and outlet mall. I know there is a T-Rex Cafe (just like DTD). The Kansas City T-bones baseball team plays there as well. Probably too early for a game but lots of fun and cheap! There is a huge Cabela's by GWL as well.

It's not a far drive downtown where more attractions are. Crown Center has a Legoland Discovery Center, Aquarium, and Kaleidoscope kids creativity center/Hallmark Cards visitor center. There is a cool restaurant there called Fritz's where they use model trains to deliver your food.

Just north of Crown Center is Science City at Union Station which is a science museum for kids.

Just north of downtown is the Steamboat Arabia museum which is really cool. A family discovered a steam boat that had sunk and was buried by silt/dirt in a field near the Missouri River. They dug it up and have preserved almost all of the cargo. A very cool look at 1800's history.

The zoo is just south in Swope Park. There are better zoos but they are really working on improving it and just got a new polar bear.

I highly recommend that you try some good BBQ while you are in town. My absolute favorite in town in Oklahoma Joe's. Go to the original location in an old gas station on 47th St in KCK.

Hope this helps!

Jill in CO
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
happygirl
DIS Veteran

There is an amsument park Worlds of Fun not sure when it opens.
There is an awesome zoo
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
Not sure but wanted to say watch groupon they have had several GWL deals in the past year
I will! Thanks for the suggestion!

4/03 ASMO/CBR 4/05 HOJO'S DL 4/07 NICK HOTEL/WH 4-5/09 NICK HOTEL/WH 6/10 WH 5-6/11 HOJO'S DL 6/12 WH/AKV/POLY 5-6/13WH 5-6/14 HOJO'S DL 8/14 CSR
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
The GWL is by the NASCAR track and outlet mall. I know there is a T-Rex Cafe (just like DTD). The Kansas City T-bones baseball team plays there as well. Probably too early for a game but lots of fun and cheap! There is a huge Cabela's by GWL as well.

It's not a far drive downtown where more attractions are. Crown Center has a Legoland Discovery Center, Aquarium, and Kaleidoscope kids creativity center/Hallmark Cards visitor center. There is a cool restaurant there called Fritz's where they use model trains to deliver your food.

Just north of Crown Center is Science City at Union Station which is a science museum for kids.

Just north of downtown is the Steamboat Arabia museum which is really cool. A family discovered a steam boat that had sunk and was buried by silt/dirt in a field near the Missouri River. They dug it up and have preserved almost all of the cargo. A very cool look at 1800's history.

The zoo is just south in Swope Park. There are better zoos but they are really working on improving it and just got a new polar bear.

I highly recommend that you try some good BBQ while you are in town. My absolute favorite in town in Oklahoma Joe's. Go to the original location in an old gas station on 47th St in KCK.

Hope this helps!

Jill in CO

Jill--Who knew Kansas had so much to offer? Sounds like a lot of fun--I will look into all of these suggestions. Mapquest says its just under 9 hours from metro Denver where we live. Sound about right?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
There is an amsument park Worlds of Fun not sure when it opens.
There is an awesome zoo
Thanks! I will look into these as well!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
jedijill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBaby View Post
Jill--Who knew Kansas had so much to offer? Sounds like a lot of fun--I will look into all of these suggestions. Mapquest says its just under 9 hours from metro Denver where we live. Sound about right?
Just for the record, most of the cool stuff is in Missouri. (Yes, I'm a Missouri native and enjoy the MO-KS rivalry!)

Yep..its about 9 boring hours. Have videos, games, snacks, whatever it takes to entertain the kids. My brother and I used to count oil wells in the days before DVD players!.

Jill in CO
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Kansas City has lots of great stuff for kids! We're in the St. Louis area so we try to visit once a year or so. Our favorite it the Deanna Rose Farm. It's a cool free children's farm. There is a playground, several animals, an old schoolhouse, and lots more. Admission is free during the week. For 10.00 per child you can buy a pass that covers all activities, pony ride, gem mining, bottle to feed the goats, wagon ride, and fishing. They have a large pond with an island and a bridge. They give each kid a cane pole and a can of worms, my kids LOVED it

Our other favorites are Crown Center with Kaleidoscope, Lego center, and aquarium.

Since you're going to GWL you have to check out the T-Rex cafe that is just minutes away!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Just for the record, most of the cool stuff is in Missouri. (Yes, I'm a Missouri native and enjoy the MO-KS rivalry!)

Yep..its about 9 boring hours. Have videos, games, snacks, whatever it takes to entertain the kids. My brother and I used to count oil wells in the days before DVD players!.

Jill in CO
Agree on both accounts! Of course being on the St. Louis side I think St. Louis has WAY more than KC! Especially the City Museum!!!

We drive to Denver quite a bit because we have family there and it is just about the most boring drive you can imagine! There is NOTHING between Denver and Topeka
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
jedijill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
Agree on both accounts! Of course being on the St. Louis side I think St. Louis has WAY more than KC! Especially the City Museum!!!

We drive to Denver quite a bit because we have family there and it is just about the most boring drive you can imagine! There is NOTHING between Denver and Topeka
When I lived outside Columbia we generally went to St Louis and I really like it but now I'm partial to KC since I lived there for 8 years.

There is ONE thing between Topeka and Denver....The world's largest prairie dog!

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11444

Jill in CO
Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

The Kansas City Zoo is a really nice zoo. Very large and natural feeling with a very good array of animals. It's not as fancy as the Omaha Zoo, but we actually prefer it because it's less jam-packed and chaotic.

I second the poster who suggested Oklahoma Joe's for the best BBQ I've ever eaten in my life. Be warned, there is usually a long line, but it is SO worth it, in my opinion.

We've never stayed at a Great Wolf Lodge, and I don't even know where it is, but K.C. is a very nice town.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

We have been to the GWL in Virginia, Texas, and Kansas. The one in Kansas was our least favorite.

The drive through western Kansas is BORING! Make sure you have plenty of gas and entertainment. Take bathroom breaks when you can b/c you never know when another good stopping spot will appear.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
tb1972
DIS Veteran

I live in Johnson County KS/suburb of KC. You may want to check out the Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead in Overland Park, KS. It is a fun experience for all ages of kids.

The Nelson Atkins Museum is very nice and is on the Missouri side on the Country Club Plaza. There's a ton of restaurants and shopping on the Plaza.

Or maybe try a Royals game if they're in town.

If you do decide on the GWL, it is located in Kansas City KS (Wyandotte County) the Legends area which has restaurants, shopping, bowling, T Rex Cafe. This area has come a long way!

tb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #15
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the replies! I have never been through Kansas or Missouri, but I'm originally from the Chicago suburbs and we visit now and then. It is a long boring ride thru Nebraska and Iowa as well!

We have been to the Wisconsin Dells (being so close when we visit IL) and my DH was just saying it would be fun to do an indoor waterpark. The Dells are too far for the time we are allowing. I've heard about the GWL on the DIS a lot so I looked at the locations and thought KC wouldn't be too bad a drive.

That Crown center sounds like fun, probably TRex, we've been to the DTD location and enjoy it, definitely the BBQ! Love good BBQ!!

Oh and Deanna Rose Farmstead sounds good as well!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: