Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #31
NoraG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
OK, so it's really officially official now. I just bought my airline tickets! I bought them through ABD, because they were able to include the Aegean leg as a part of the whole ticket, which I could not do myself. So NoraG, it looks like we'll be on the same flight from Philly to Athens! The only bummer was, the only seats left (besides 2 seats in the VERY BACK CORNER of the plane) were "Preferred Seats", so I had to pay an extra $50 to get an assigned seat. If there was actually anything better about these seats (like extra leg room) it would be worth it, but I guess it's better than 10 hours in the back of the plane!

I'm only doing one post-night, though, in Athens.

Looking forward to getting to know you, NoraG!

Now I have to start thinking about what I'm going to do with my pre- and post-days.

Plus, I've been reading the book on Greek Myths that ABD sent to Insiders when they introduced this trip. Good heavens, it's complicated! I'll probably forget 75% of it, but at least it will be familiar to me!

Three and a half months!!!!

Sayhello
Sayhello,

We decided to pay for seats as well rather than sit in the back of the plane. It was painful, but we concluded that it would be worth it.

We are also trying to figure out what to do with our pre and post days. We've picked up some books on Greece and are excited to start planning! It's a bit overwhelming though-and we're only trying to plan four days. I'm so glad I don't have to plan the whole trip!

What is the title of the book ABD sent? I'd like to review the Greek myths, but had trouble picking a book. I'd love to know what they recommend.

Abdgeek-I think I've settled on some Teva's. I like Keen's, but have a wide toebox and always have trouble getting a good fit, unfortunately. Glad to know that I'd get a lot of use out them. I wished I had them when I was in the Middle East, as I did a lot of water hiking and they would have been very useful then. I'll probably go with sneakers for the volcano. I'm not sure how comfortable the Teva's would be with socks, but it's good to have an alternative in case I decide sneakers aren't a good option.
NoraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #32
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraG View Post
Sayhello,

We decided to pay for seats as well rather than sit in the back of the plane. It was painful, but we concluded that it would be worth it.
Did you pay for seats on the return trip as well? I was actually able to get a seat right behind the "Preferred Seats", so I should be good with that. But I'm leaving the day before you.

Quote:
We are also trying to figure out what to do with our pre and post days. We've picked up some books on Greece and are excited to start planning! It's a bit overwhelming though-and we're only trying to plan four days. I'm so glad I don't have to plan the whole trip!
I know. That's so one of the reasons I love doing ABD's. It really is overwhelming, and I've always enjoyed the choices ABD made.

Quote:
What is the title of the book ABD sent? I'd like to review the Greek myths, but had trouble picking a book. I'd love to know what they recommend.
I'll get you the title when I get home this evening. It's a nice, illustrated book. It's pretty good at explaining the relationships, but man, there are a billion of them!

Oh! And I was just checking out the flights I booked, and the ticket I have has gone up over $300! You can still get tickets for cheaper, but they are multi-stop itineraries. I'm glad I booked when I did!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #33
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
NoraG, the book ABD sent was "D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths" by Ingri and Edgar Parin D'aulaire.

http://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Gree...0728711&sr=1-1

Sayhello
Old 04-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #34
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
Hi NoraG! I can give you a few suggestions on what to do in Athens. 2.5 days is plenty. You can check out the National Archeological Museum, download Rick Steve's app and follow it as you walk along. You can go to the Lycabettus Hill, which is the highest point in Athens and appreciate the view. If you are up to it, you can climb the stairs or take the teleferik (funicular) to the top. You can also do day trips to Corinth, which we did. The guide though highly recommended Cape Sunion, but we did not have time. I'm not sure if there are day trips to the Peloponnese but that would be a great place to see as well.
tufbuf, I had a couple of questions. First, did you like your day trip to Corinth? What company did you go with? That sounds like something I'd like to do on one of my pre-days.

Also, what did you mean by "Rick Steve's app"? Does he have an actual smart phone app that has a narration for the National Archeological Museum, or is it more of a podcast? Thanks!

Quote:
Thanks for all the info abdgeek and tufbuf. Those intineraries help me get an idea of what we'll be able to accomplish. Any further info on the trip to Corinth would be appreciated. It looks like we'll be able to do everything we want and more! As the dates get closer, I'll start pulling out the travel books and maps and make a tentative intinerary. Work has been crazy, so when I have more than one day off per week, I'll work on it. Your help has been fantastic. Feel free to keep the tips coming!
NoraG, do you think you'll be doing the day trip to Corinth? It would be nice to coordinate that with you guys (if you don't mind) if you do it. Or at least meet up for some of the pre-day touring!

So, I've had a crazy few weeks (had a sensitive tooth that ended up being cracked and getting extracted! Just glad it happened well in advance of the trip! I'm still going to have some issues chewing at that point. But it could have been much worse timing-wise!) At least it's a molar, so I can still smile for those photos!

But I feel horrifically unprepared. On top of the tooth thing, I have a business trip next week, so I've been worrying about packing for that (it's Phoenix, which is totally different weather from what we're having here!) It's times like this that I am *SERIOUSLY* glad I'm doing an ABD rather than planning this myself, because the only planning I'm responsible for is packing, getting euros and an adapter, and stuff to do for my pre- and post-days. And I'm thoroughly certain that if I don't get that last one done, the ABD Guides will totally help me with that, too!

I'm re-reading last year's Reports, and hopefully will have more questions soon!

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 04-05-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #35
NoraG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
tufbuf, I had a couple of questions. First, did you like your day trip to Corinth? What company did you go with? That sounds like something I'd like to do on one of my pre-days.

Also, what did you mean by "Rick Steve's app"? Does he have an actual smart phone app that has a narration for the National Archeological Museum, or is it more of a podcast? Thanks!

NoraG, do you think you'll be doing the day trip to Corinth? It would be nice to coordinate that with you guys (if you don't mind) if you do it. Or at least meet up for some of the pre-day touring!

So, I've had a crazy few weeks (had a sensitive tooth that ended up being cracked and getting extracted! Just glad it happened well in advance of the trip! I'm still going to have some issues chewing at that point. But it could have been much worse timing-wise!) At least it's a molar, so I can still smile for those photos!

But I feel horrifically unprepared. On top of the tooth thing, I have a business trip next week, so I've been worrying about packing for that (it's Phoenix, which is totally different weather from what we're having here!) It's times like this that I am *SERIOUSLY* glad I'm doing an ABD rather than planning this myself, because the only planning I'm responsible for is packing, getting euros and an adapter, and stuff to do for my pre- and post-days. And I'm thoroughly certain that if I don't get that last one done, the ABD Guides will totally help me with that, too!

I'm re-reading last year's Reports, and hopefully will have more questions soon!

Sayhello
Sayhello,

I sent you a PM regarding coordinating

So sorry that things have been stressful. When deciding what to do on our pre and post days, I was very thankful that I wasn't planning this entire trip! Planning 4 days is hard enough!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #36
abbyjt
Mouseketeer

Rick Steves has a free app for Europe. Then you download individual walking tours, also free. We used one in the National museum in Athens. We each downloaded the same one and tried to stay in the same spot in the narration. It was really great.

We used them in Italy too.
It's called Rick Steves audio Europe

ABDs: Norway (9/14), Austria, Germany & Czech Republic (6/14); Peru (10/13); Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos (6/13); Italy (10/12); Greece (6/12); China (7/11); South Africa (6/09); Germany (6/08); Spain (6/07); London/Paris (6/06)
abbyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #37
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Sayhello,

I sent you a PM regarding coordinating

So sorry that things have been stressful. When deciding what to do on our pre and post days, I was very thankful that I wasn't planning this entire trip! Planning 4 days is hard enough!
PM'd you back. Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyjt View Post
Rick Steves has a free app for Europe. Then you download individual walking tours, also free. We used one in the National museum in Athens. We each downloaded the same one and tried to stay in the same spot in the narration. It was really great.

We used them in Italy too.
It's called Rick Steves audio Europe
Thanks, abbyjt. Found it!

Sayhello
Old 04-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #38
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Hi sayhello! Sorry for the late response. Just getting back from a cruise. yes, the half- day trip to Corinth was nice. It was enough to keep us busy the day ABD started. It was not too hectic and there were interesting sights to see. I booked through Viator.

I was going to say abbyjt used the app and she can best answer your question...which she did!

The ABD book is a perfect book to get to know a few of Greek myths and I highly recommend reading before going. There are thousands of Greek gods and the names alone will get you lost on the story line.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #39
cukal6
Mouseketeer

I have used Travel Guard for insurance in the past. You might also want to check with your credit card company to see what type of travel insurance they offer. I know that ours offers some great insurance when it comes to air.
May 1988 Off Site, May 2001 Off Site,August 2005 OKW,December 2006 Pop Century/OKW,December 2008 AKL,New Years 2008 ASSports,April 2009 BC,April 2010 YC,September 2011 BW,April 2012 Disneyland Paris,October 2012 Sequoia Lodge DLP, February 2013 Princess 1/2 Riverside

My Disney Blog
My Facebook Page
cukal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #40
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Five weeks from today, heading to Greece!

Sayhello
Old 04-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #41
NoraG
Mouseketeer

In case it's not clear by now I am a super planner, so I have a question for those who've done this trip before or anyone whose flown Aegean Air. For the internal flights, do they use those tiny planes where if your carry-on has wheels it gets automatically gate-checked? I prefer to keep my carry on with me, so we're just trying to decide if we want to do rolling carry-ons, duffles, or one of each. There are some things that I don't mind having stored below the plane and others like medications that I prefer to keep overhead. Any insight would be much appreciated!

It's getting close!!! Any last minute tips for things you'd wish you brought or had not brought would be most appreciated as well. I'm going to try to download the Rick Steves app for the museum in Athens as that will be a nice addition to just walking around.

We need a daypack one day, right? The one we go kayaking? I have a very lightweight backpack I may consider bringing to use for that. It;s not big though, so some idea of what we need to put in it would be great.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #42
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
In case it's not clear by now I am a super planner, so I have a question for those who've done this trip before or anyone whose flown Aegean Air. For the internal flights, do they use those tiny planes where if your carry-on has wheels it gets automatically gate-checked? I prefer to keep my carry on with me, so we're just trying to decide if we want to do rolling carry-ons, duffles, or one of each. There are some things that I don't mind having stored below the plane and others like medications that I prefer to keep overhead. Any insight would be much appreciated!

It's getting close!!! Any last minute tips for things you'd wish you brought or had not brought would be most appreciated as well. I'm going to try to download the Rick Steves app for the museum in Athens as that will be a nice addition to just walking around.

We need a daypack one day, right? The one we go kayaking? I have a very lightweight backpack I may consider bringing to use for that. It;s not big though, so some idea of what we need to put in it would be great.
The internal flight with Aegean Air in our trip, I think was chaotic. That is one of the things I will ask sayhello if its improved since after our trip, which was the first official family trip, we have not heard of updates from subsequent travelers. Anyway, the plane is not that small. It has six seats per row and you can take your carry on. Just be very particular about luggage weight and number of carry on bags.

You can bring a day pack on kayak day, like dry clothes. They will handle it for you as you kayak and I think you get your things back once you reach the island. Right after the island tour, you go straight to lunch.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #43
acndis
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
The internal flight with Aegean Air in our trip, I think was chaotic. That is one of the things I will ask sayhello if its improved since after our trip, which was the first official family trip, we have not heard of updates from subsequent travelers. Anyway, the plane is not that small. It has six seats per row and you can take your carry on. Just be very particular about luggage weight and number of carry on bags.

You can bring a day pack on kayak day, like dry clothes. They will handle it for you as you kayak and I think you get your things back once you reach the island. Right after the island tour, you go straight to lunch.
Our flight on Aegean was actually very calm and easy. I think they must have worked it out by the time we went (last July). Disney had worked out the baggage thing so it was no problem (however, my family travels light) and yes, I agree with Tufbuf, the plane was big with excellent service. We did have to collect our own luggage at bag claim and take it out to the bus but carts were available.

As for the daypack, I brought a sundress to through over my bathing suit. There was a place to change but it was not luxurious! ABD will take your daypack over on the bus so you don't have it with you in the Kayak. We did not bring much (didn't need to) and I would advise as little as possible. Spinalonga is AMAZING and you don't want to be lugging a bag.
acndis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: