Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are you ok with them giving out your info, w/o consent
Yes, give it out. 4 4.21%
No, not unless I say ok. 87 91.58%
other: 4 4.21%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Company giving out personal information.

We are having a conflict of interest question at work.

Our employee has recently contracted with a company called Corporate Chaplains of America. Per the handout that each of us got, their program details are:

Our chaplin will:
Visit the work place 1 a week.
Encourage each employee when they visit.
Be available via voicemail paging 24/7/365.

They will also offer confidential care in the following area:
Employee
Hospital visitation - Marriage and remarriage - Divorce - Spousal/child abuse - Financial/budgeting matter - Pre-marital couseling/ceremony officiating - Courtroom testimony and emotional support - Death and dying - Planning/performing funeral svc

Health
Serious illness - Aids and HIV related illness - Durg/alchol dependency - Psychiatric problems - Long term grief support - Fears of national, state, and local terrorist activity

Work
Stress management - Conflict resolution - Assisting supervisors w/attraction and retention problems - Dispute resolution - Lay-off/termination trasitions

In and of itself, the vast majority of us, have no issue that they are trying to provide us with a service that many of us could use at one point or another in our lives.

BUT, the major conflict is, the owners want the HR manager to give our chaplin a list of all the emplyee's names and home and cell phone numbers, so that they can reach us in times of emergancies. Their thought is, as an example, when DH had his heart attack, when I called my employer, that they would contact the chaplin to met me at the hospital instead of it being one more thing I would have had to think about doing. The chaplin would have my cell number to get ahold of me when he arrived at the hospital.

The HR person is telling them that isn't the best idea. They need to have the employees sign off on who wants their info given out and who doesn't. There are 4 of us who sit in the basement, none of us what our info given out. We all said the same thing. We want to be the ones to call the Chaplin if and when we need them. The HR person and the owners are not seeing eye to eye on this. She knows her stuff. If she says it's not a wise idea, I think they should be listening to her and they aren't.

So, would you want your company giving out this information without your concent?
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post

Our employee has recently contracted with a company called Corporate Chaplains of America. Per the handout that each of us got, their program details are:

Our chaplin will:

Employee
Hospital visitation - Marriage and remarriage - Divorce - Spousal/child abuse - Financial/budgeting matter - Pre-marital couseling/ceremony officiating - Courtroom testimony and emotional support - Death and dying - Planning/performing funeral svc

Health
Serious illness - Aids and HIV related illness - Durg/alchol dependency - Psychiatric problems - Long term grief support - Fears of national, state, and local terrorist activity

Work
Stress management - Conflict resolution - Assisting supervisors w/attraction and retention problems - Dispute resolution - Lay-off/termination trasitions

In and of itself, the vast majority of us, have no issue that they are trying to provide us with a service that many of us could use at one point or another in our lives.

BUT, the major conflict is, the owners want the HR manager to give our chaplin a list of all the emplyee's names and home and cell phone numbers, so that they can reach us in times of emergancies. Their thought is, as an example, when DH had his heart attack, when I called my employer, that they would contact the chaplin to met me at the hospital instead of it being one more thing I would have had to think about doing. The chaplin would have my cell number to get ahold of me when he arrived at the hospital.

The HR person is telling them that isn't the best idea. They need to have the employees sign off on who wants their info given out and who doesn't. There are 4 of us who sit in the basement, none of us what our info given out. We all said the same thing. We want to be the ones to call the Chaplin if and when we need them. The HR person and the owners are not seeing eye to eye on this. She knows her stuff. If she says it's not a wise idea, I think they should be listening to her and they aren't.

So, would you want your company giving out this information without your concent?
No, I wouldn't. Furthermore, I find it quite presumptuous of your employers to assume that everyone would find a chaplain to be a comfort. It is likely that most would already have some sort of clergy person they are already familiar with to serve in that capacity.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:

Our chaplin will:

Employee

Health

Work

No, and I wouldn't want anything to do with a Chaplain service anyway. We're agnostic. How odd. I can't see my company doing that unless they did it for EVERY religion. Is there a Rabbis-R-Us?
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

Nope! And I imagine there are very few people who would think this is a good idea.

Those who are agnostic (or just not religious) wouldn't want the chaplain there and wouldn't find their help a comfort
Those who are religious and would want some spiritual guidance almost certainly have their own Priest/Rabbi/Minister/Imam/etc. who they would call on (or at least would prefer someone from their specific faith, not a generic chaplain)

There may be a few people who would appreciate this service. It's nice that your employer wants to offer it. But let those people opt-in rather than presuming to send some stranger to an employee in a time of crisis.
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Not even close to a good idea! Not all share the same regards to needing comfort of a religious body be it specific or general during a time of need.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Our chaplin will:

Employee

Health

Work

Absolutely not. Your HR person is correct, it's a bad idea. In fact, my company will not disclose any information to a third party without written consent.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I would be fine with a chaplin having my number
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

No, I would not want the company giving my personal information to a chaplain, and I think it's a bad idea in general. I would not want a company chaplain visiting me or my family in the hospital or in other time of need/distress.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Absolutely not. I'd find the so-called support of someone from an organization whose mission it is "to share the life-changing Good News of Jesus Christ in a non-threatening manner" under the philosophy that "Jesus Christ is the answer to our greatest need" very intrusive, particularly in a time of crisis (quotes from the organization's "about us" page).

I can't imagine who thought this would be a good idea. As someone else already pointed out, non-Christians aren't going to appreciate evangelism dressed up as support and practicing Christians likely have their own faith community to turn to. I'm sure there are those who would find it helpful, particularly cultural/non-practicing Christians, but on whole it seems very insensitive to consider this a service appropriate for a diverse workforce.

ETA: Since the chaplain will be visiting the workplace weekly it should be a simple enough matter for him/her to collect contact information from employees who do appreciate the service.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Absolutely not. I'd find the so-called support of someone from an organization whose mission it is "to share the life-changing Good News of Jesus Christ in a non-threatening manner" under the philosophy that "Jesus Christ is the answer to our greatest need" very intrusive, particularly in a time of crisis (quotes from the organization's "about us" page).

I can't imagine who thought this would be a good idea. As someone else already pointed out, non-Christians aren't going to appreciate evangelism dressed up as support and practicing Christians likely have their own faith community to turn to. I'm sure there are those who would find it helpful, particularly cultural/non-practicing Christians, but on whole it seems very insensitive to consider this a service appropriate for a diverse workforce.

ETA: Since the chaplain will be visiting the workplace weekly it should be a simple enough matter for him/her to collect contact information from employees who do appreciate the service.
Oh, my. After reading more, there's no way I'd want this company in my workplace. Very insensitive to non-Christians and/or progressive Christians who don't believe the bible is the inerrant word of God or that only Christians may enter the kingdom of heaven or that Christians are required to evangelize. So many things wrong with this.

http://www.chaplain.org/about-us/beliefs/
Old 05-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

What can you tells us about the owners and why they might want to do this? Is the service owned by a relative or something like that? It's probably illegal in the first place to give out that information.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Bottom line, would NOT be comfortable with this and if I was contacted by the chaplin, I would tell him thanks, but no thanks. Less said the better with this kind of stuff.

Now if he questioned me in any way about my religious affliation and I reiterate, thanks but no thanks and if he continued if he with a line of questioning, then we are going to have issues. At that point I would be wondering if my employer is doing a mission trip on me to collect info.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Bottom line, would NOT be comfortable with this and if I was contacted by the chaplin, I would tell him thanks, but no thanks. Less said the better with this kind of stuff.

Now if he questioned me in any way about my religious affliation and I reiterate, thanks but no thanks and if he continued if he with a line of questioning, then we are going to have issues. At that point I would be wondering if my employer is doing a mission trip on me to collect info.
I was wondering this myself. There has to be an ulterior motive. I've never heard of such a thing.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaLisa View Post
Oh, my. After reading more, there's no way I'd want this company in my workplace. Very insensitive to non-Christians and/or progressive Christians who don't believe the bible is the inerrant word of God or that only Christians may enter the kingdom of heaven or that Christians are required to evangelize. So many things wrong with this.

http://www.chaplain.org/about-us/beliefs/
What you are listing is their beliefs. They are Christians. This is what most Christians believe. And I don't see what you are reading that makes them "insensitive" to anything. A simple statement of beliefs. Just as anyone else's statement of beliefs may be different from yours, but that doesn't make them insensitive.

As to the original post--I would want the giving out of my phone number, address, etc. to be my choice. I would think the better option would be someone to have the Chaplain's number and give it to the person "in need" to call. Some times even a religious person can be without a home church but still want the comfort of a chaplain.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

I'd let my employer know that he can most certainly give my personal cell phone number and address away as long as he/she let ME give his/her personal cell phone number and address to anyone I might think would be of assistance to him/her!

No, this is NOT proper in any way, shape or form.

I'm an atheist. I would VERY MUCH consider this to be religious harassment.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: