Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
your friend
Mouseketeer

BWI Question

Ok we just booked BWI for November 2013. Now I'm reading reviews and found two reviews that complain about a damp and musty smell. Has anyone else heard about this? I hope that this is not something BWI is known for and I didn't know. I really hope that is not true because we are using this trip to decide if the boardwalk is going to be our home resort for DVC. If someone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Trips
Pop Century: Nov. 2011
Boardwalk Inn: Nov. 2013
your friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Not sure where you saw/heard this, but in all the times I've stayed at BW, I have never, ever found there to be a damp/musty smell. If you get put in a room that hasn't been used recently, you may get a slightly musty odor, but that should go away as soon as the doors are opened.
I own at BWV......have never ever regretted the decision to buy there.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
your friend
Mouseketeer

I saw it on reviews at allears.net

Trips
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Have stayed at BWI 4 times and BWV twice - once paid cash and the other time on a friend's points. Have never noticed a musty smell and I have a sensitive nose. I just bought a 250 point resale contract for BWV. Will be "going home" for the first time in August. Can't wait!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
sissy1
Mouseketeer

Own at BWV, but haven't stayed there yet. Usually stay at our other resort, BLT. Have our first ressie for BWV for F&W in Oct. I haven't heard anything about the odd smells there, hopefully its a false rumor.
sissy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by your friend
Ok we just booked BWI for November 2013. Now I'm reading reviews and found two reviews that complain about a damp and musty smell. Has anyone else heard about this? I hope that this is not something BWI is known for and I didn't know. I really hope that is not true because we are using this trip to decide if the boardwalk is going to be our home resort for DVC. If someone could help me out I would appreciate it.
My parents have had DVC at BWV for over 10 years so we've spent a lot of time staying at the resort. I've also stayed at the Inn, which I love. Never had a musty room, and we've been on every floor in all sections of the resort. With the humidity in Florida, this does happen from time to time especially when a unit isn't being occupied. I wouldn't worry about it and just go enjoy your stay! If the room isn't up to your expectations just ask for something else and hopefully they can accommodate. Enjoy!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We've stayed at BWV many times, most recently last month, and never noticed a musty smell in any of the villas we have been in. I seriously doubt that the Inn side would be any different.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
your friend
Mouseketeer

Are the villas and the inn on two separate sides?

Trips
Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Denise W
Boardwalk DVC Member

Yes they are and the rooms are very different. Staying on the Inn side will not give you a very accurate idea of what being a DVC member is like so keep that in mind.

Denise
Denise W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
your friend
Mouseketeer

Which side is the inn on and since there is a DVC kiosk there will I be able to tour a villa?

Trips
Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by your friend View Post
Which side is the inn on and since there is a DVC kiosk there will I be able to tour a villa?
Viewed from the front (where people arrive) the Inn is on the right and the Villa's are on the left. They share a common check in area.

Yes, you will be able to visit the DVC center on the boardwalk and tour a model villa.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
lililoo12
Mouseketeer

i have stayed bwi twice once deluxe rm club level and the other a standard room where i got pixie dust upgrade to a larger room with a pool view. it was amazing and no nasty smell at all. the bwv side i have heard is no where near as nice as the bwi side.
lililoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise W View Post
Yes they are and the rooms are very different. Staying on the Inn side will not give you a very accurate idea of what being a DVC member is like so keep that in mind.

Denise
I agree with PP, if you're truly trying to decided whether to buy at BWV, you'd be much better off staying in a villa instead of a resort room. Staying in a resort room will give you a feel for the resort's location, but now a feel for what a DVC stay would be like.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
Sunshinedaydream
Earning My Ears

Have stayed at BWI a few times and never encountered any musty smell. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences.
Sunshinedaydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lililoo12 View Post
i have stayed bwi twice once deluxe rm club level and the other a standard room where i got pixie dust upgrade to a larger room with a pool view. it was amazing and no nasty smell at all. the bwv side i have heard is no where near as nice as the bwi side.
I do like the setup of the rooms at the Inn better than the studio villas but that's not to say that the villas aren't nice. I like that the rooms at the Inn have 2 queen beds and a day bed vs the studios that have 1 queen and a sleep sofa. I didn't use the microwave in the studio. I am however very much looking forward to our trip this August in a 2 BR villa. The villas are very nice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: