Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
MickeezMeg
Lovin Dis and Lovin Love

Ipad... Movies... TV?? Horribly UN tech savvy first time Fantasy cruiser here!!

So I have read here on the boards that there are limited channels as well as Disney movies run in the staterooms, correct? If so, my DH is going to pull his hair out from lack of variety... I'd watch Disney movies all day, he however, will freak (I'm working on him... Got him to buy into DVC and take a 7 night Disney cruise and came into the living room the other day to him "just listening to" Tangled, lol so were getting there!). I just got an Ipad and was curious if there is something I could do to download movies or shows and then somehow connect them and play them through the stateroom television? Any help would be great and again, I apologize for my ignorance!!! "My generation" is supposed to be good at this stuff, right?!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Tinknalli
DIS Veteran

They have other movies that you can watch, not just Disney. They show other new releases too. Like the stuff you might find on pay per view at home, except you do not have to pay for it. Last year on the Fantasy we watched Johny English Reborn (not recalling how Johny is spelled in that movie) starring Rowan Atkinson and Jack and Jill starring Adam Sandler in our cabin last year. Plus they show new releases in the movie theater.

Tinknalli is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Cruisefan2
DIS Veteran

The first picture is the stations on the stateroom tv. The second picture is the movies on the stateroom tv. The third picture is the movies in the ships movie theatre. This is from 2 years ago so it's just an outdated idea of what they show on the ships. When I was on in February they had Lincoln in the movie theatre.

4 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream 2/17/13
7 night Medderiteranian Cruise on the Magic 7/30/11
7 night Eastern Caribbean on the Magic 2/11/06
Cruisefan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

How much TV is he even going to have time to watch? Even though I'm not an 'out and about, never in my room person' I didn't have much time to watch the TV on the ship. I only got maybe 30 min a night after DS went to bed because I was super tired every day. We were on a 14 night cruise and I only got in one movie in the theater (The Life of Timothy Green), and only got to see 2 whole movies from my room (Spider-Man 3 and Elvis' Blue Hawai). Those I had to watch in pieces because I swear I wasn't in my room to enough with enough down time to catch a movie from beginning to end. The movies repeated throughout the trip which was nice. There are several non kid movie channels. There are also news and other types of channels too. I can't remember them but there's lots of variety. I only had time for the movie channels though.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 05-12-2013 at 10:32 AM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

I agree with Luv2sleep. I really don't think he is going to be watching much TV. Anyway, DCL does not really want you to connect any devices such as DVD players, Ipads, etc. to their TVs. You can probably download digital copies of movies from ITunes before you leave home and he can watch them on his Ipad. I wouldn't suggest downloading anything while on the ship.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
bbn1122
DIS Veteran

I agree with the two previous posters. Who needs TV on a cruise.....maybe your the type that needs it to fall asleep. If yes, there are plenty of selections to get to sleep. I find that we put it on once in a while. My boys a few years ago would watch a movie while they fell asleep...

....I was always so exhausted from having such a great time that I would crash.....happy cruising...
AKL - Aug 2011,
HHI - August 2012
OKW - August 2014
Vero Beach - August 2014
Magic - West Carib April 2010, 2 night NYC June 2012
Dream - 3 night - August 2011 3 Night Dream - August 2014
bbn1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

I always download movies and TV shows onto my IPad for when I travel...usually for the Plane ride, though I might save a movie for laying late in bed at night during the cruise while DH is sleeping. Anyway, it's really easy to download onto your IPad using ITunes. Renting movies is usually between 3.99-4.99 and they will stay on your IPad for 30 days, until you start it. Once you start the Movie, you have 24 hours before it's deleted from your IPad. Rentals usually come out the same day the DVD is released. I also BUY episodes of TV shows to watch when I'm traveling. They are usually around 1.99 a piece. I downloaded a bunch of Mad Men before I went to visit my Aunt. If you buy something, it will stay on your IPad and watch it over & over if you want. Also, if you had other Apple products (I use my Apple TV a lot), whatever you BUY can be seen on your other Apples....so if I download Mad Men on my IPad and don't watch it until I get home, I can watch it on my bedroom TV on Apple TV instead. This doesn't work with rented movies.

Anyway, you can't "download" anything from Hulu or Netflix, that's all streaming, which means you have to be hooked up to the internet at the time. Also, as others have mentioned. If you want to download something, do it from home.

I, with the others, think your DH will have to watch his shows on the IPad itself, there won't be a way to hook it up to the TV onboard.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
SoozCruise
Earning My Ears

We were on the Fantasy in April and my husband connected his iPad to the in-room TV with an HDMI adapter and cable (one end of the adapter is attached to the iPad, and the other end is an HDMI socket, which you attach to an HDMI cable that then plugs into the HDMI input on the TV). These parts are available from Apple or electronics stores.
SoozCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
kiford
Mouseketeer

On the Dream and Fantasy, there is on demand programming. Not just Disney films. Disney owns ABC so there are also lots of tv shows in the on demand portion (sorry, can't tell you what they are - I don't have ABC at home). We did spend lots of time in our stateroom last time because we spent so much time on deck around the pool. We got sleepy from the heat and mojitos so we'd go down to our room, watch TV or read, pop up back up on deck to get a snack and bring it down (nap occasionally). We saw Bedknobs and Broomsticks (blast from the past there!), Paranorman, some of the ABC TV shows, Ratatouille, news, and a number of other programming I don't recall. We also saw Brave and Frankenweenie in 3D in the theatres.

My husband also downloaded a bunch of programs and movies to his iPad to watch on the plane, on deck and in the room. You can't put it on the TV as far as I know but he liked being by the pool, putting in his earphones and watching a couple of 1 hour shows. I don't know where he downloaded from but he usually does that before travelling. Sometimes he watches them and sometimes not. Then he changes the content frequently between travels.

Between on demand TV, TV channels, movie theatre, funnel vision, and his iPad, there should be plenty of content for your DH to view if he is so inclined.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (49) Him (52)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
jtkboston
Scheming to book another cruise

Here's a video showing an iPad connection on the Magic. Similar setup on the Fantasy, you just unplug the HDMI feed from the TV and plug in your own HDMI source.

http://youtu.be/MnkSAxGV2To
Old 05-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
MickeezMeg
Lovin Dis and Lovin Love

Woooo! Thanks everyone! He probably could have figured this hookup stuff on his own but I at least wanted to appear moderately informed about the prospects lol! He is a "napper" and may or may not want to utilize the tv before/during naptime (teeehee... my 30 year old child!) but I wanted to come into the situation with options for him. Thanks again all! 153 days... Ugh!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkboston View Post
Here's a video showing an iPad connection on the Magic. Similar setup on the Fantasy, you just unplug the HDMI feed from the TV and plug in your own HDMI source.

http://youtu.be/MnkSAxGV2To
Too cool! Thanks!

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeezMeg
Woooo! Thanks everyone! He probably could have figured this hookup stuff on his own but I at least wanted to appear moderately informed about the prospects lol! He is a "napper" and may or may not want to utilize the tv before/during naptime (teeehee... my 30 year old child!) but I wanted to come into the situation with options for him. Thanks again all! 153 days... Ugh!
I'm married to the tech king who does fiber optics for a living and has so much add he even used the coloring book left at our table every night. He liked the on demand movies. Don't forget that its more than cartoons Disney has. He put on Flight of the Navigator, a movie he liked from his generation. We were on a three day and watched it a lil getting up in the morning and winding down to bed. He never once felt the need to hook up anything he brought. He also went all over sound midship detect and all kinds if things. You might be surprised that Disney even has enough to keep these "kids" occupied! (Mine is 36)
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
buddy2k9
Earning My Ears

this is awesome! good to know that there are many options!
buddy2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: