Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
tb1972
DIS Veteran

My DD10 is super picky & vegetarian too. We pay OOP for her kids meals which most consist of mac & cheese or cheese pizza. She's very petite though & probably looks younger than 10.

tb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelMomto5 View Post
We'd really like to try the T-Rex but short of the kids menu, there is nothing my kids will eat. We will not be using the dining plan. Michelle
Well, to possibly help you, what will they eat? Because in actuality a lot of the dishes offered on the kids menu are what's on the adult menu.

Rotiserrie chicken, burger, lasagna, ribs, shrimp are on both the adult and the kids menus!

But if you are not using the dining plan they should let you order what you want, from any menu! In Aug, we were 7, with 2 insanely picky 11 year old girls and they ordered pasta with alfredo sauce from the kids menus while the rest of us ordered from the adult menu!

We never do the DDP!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
LisaBi
DIS Veteran

I've never had an issue ordering a child's meal, for either myself or DS (who now looks about 15 and is 19). That has been true wether OOP or DDP. I also frequently substitute kids items like grapes for dessert if we are on the DDP. It's paid for, so figure I may as well get something.
LisaBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #19
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

There are only two places I've read about here on the DIS that have adamantly refused serving kids' meals to anyone older than 9 years old:

La Hacienda de San Angel in Epcot
Plaza Restaurant in the Magic Kingdom

No matter what the guest said, willing to pay out of pocket or a larger portion to use a dining plan credit, the restaurants stood their ground.

I've been able to get kid's items at counter service places everywhere on Disney property without a problem. But those two full service restaurants should be carefully avoided if kids' meals are an issue.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #20
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie View Post
There are only two places I've read about here on the DIS that have adamantly refused serving kids' meals to anyone older than 9 years old:

No matter what the guest said, willing to pay out of pocket or a larger portion to use a dining plan credit, the restaurants stood their ground.
You can add Marrakesh to the list for us. My vegetarian DD was just 10 and at the time they still offered couscous on the kids menu. I can't remember if it was vegetarian already or if I asked for it without without chicken. I was refused and had to purchase an adult meal for her. She barely picked at it.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

If you're not on the dining plan, you can order whatever you want..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #22
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
You can add Marrakesh to the list for us.
Marrakesh tried this with us during our Thanksgiving vacation. 7 of us, 2 of which were 11 year old girls, they wanted the kids pasta. The waiter said they had to order from the adult menu, I told him we're paying OOP, so it doesn't matter, he said it's the rule! My reply was, it's 5 adult meals, a bottle of wine and 2 kids pasta, or we walk and eat elsewhere, you decide?

He took our orders, dinner what very good, as was the show!

I can understand a restaurants concern, had we walked in and all 7 of us wanted to order from the kids menu. We enjoy Marrakesh, but had they made the decision to stick to the "rules", it' would have been the last of my money they would have ever seen!

I think LC, since going to 2TS credits is going to encounter issues when many show up with lunch ADR's and only order soup and bread, paying OOP! I have real issues with a restaurant dictating what I can order when I'm paying OOP and we're not using the DDP.

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #23
jakenjess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie View Post

I've been able to get kid's items at counter service places everywhere on Disney property without a problem. But those two full service restaurants should be carefully avoided if kids' meals are an issue.
We had this problem at Tutto Italia. They would not let us order a child's meal for our older DS. We were paying OOP for everything, but they weren't budging.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
AppleSister1
DIS Veteran

If you are not on the dining plan, you shouldn't have a problem. My nephews are now 10 and 12. For the last few trips we've asked for both menus just in case and no one has ever asked their ages or given us any push back, even when trying to modify things (eg, plain pasta with butter, that kind of thing.)

Happy to report they graduated to all adult ordering this time (even though we asked for the kid's menu just in case) and were very adventurous! They also split apps or entrees with each other or us so they could experiement more without feeling pressure to finish a whole meal. Never got push back on that either, and it worked out very well.
1982 - WDW, Off site * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 - DL, Disneyland Hotel * 1998 - CSR * 2000 - YC* 2001 - DL, Grand Californian * 2002 - YC * 2003 - YC * 2004 - BC Concierge * 2006 - YC * 2008 - YC * Jan 2010 - WL * May 2010-Poly * Dec 2010 - CSR *April 2011 - AKL CL * Sept 2011 - YC * Dec 2011 - YC * May 2012 - YC * July 2012 - Aulani * Dec 2012 - POFQ * April 2013 - POFQ * June 2014- Contemporary * October '14 Boardwalk
AppleSister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASLYBOO View Post
I can understand a restaurants concern, had we walked in and all 7 of us wanted to order from the kids menu. We enjoy Marrakesh, but had they made the decision to stick to the "rules", it' would have been the last of my money they would have ever seen!
I totally understand it too. I do cringe when I read about adults and older teen girls ordering off the kids menu at TS restaurants, but I feel I really can't say much since I bend the rules too for my DD. There were 7 of us as well (5 adults, one older teen and my DD) and we had already ordered specialty drinks. It was NYE and we really couldn't threaten to leave ... they would have just tossed us out and gladly seated the next group. We tipped the minimum that was added to our bill and it was indeed the last time we were there.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #26
ElizabethG
When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me!

I have an addition about plated meals. We went to CRT when my son was 10 (October 2012). We had already pre-paid for the meal with him as an adult. When we were seated they gave him both the child and adult menus. They said he could choose from either one. However, if he chose from the kids menu, he would be given a larger portion. For his meal, he ordered from the adult menu, because he liked the status of being considered an 'adult'. But he ordered ice cream off of the kids menu for dessert, as did my DD8. His was much bigger than hers.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #27
Pudding mum
Earning My Ears

When paying oop can you ask for a child's portion off the adult menu??? I can't see my 9yrold ds being happy with mac n cheese and nuggets for two weeks.
Pudding mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #28
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding mum View Post
When paying oop can you ask for a child's portion off the adult menu??? I can't see my 9yrold ds being happy with mac n cheese and nuggets for two weeks.
We did once. As I said before my DD is a vegetarian and we made a reservation at Les Chefs so we could see Remy. I knew that there were no vegetarian meals on the kids menu and I asked if she could have a child-sized portion of the Gratin de Macaroni. They brought it with no problem ... BUT I think it was because she was a vegetarian and they didn't have anything on the kids menu that she *could* eat. I'm not sure they would do it she just preferred the macaroni and cheese over the rest of the menu, KWIM?

I think your best bet would be to review the menus and choose places that have a variety of meal options for your DD. For instance, Chefs has a hamburger and a fish dish on the kids menu.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #29
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran

Anyone have experience with older kids ordering off the kid's menu at the Sci-Fi (paying OOP)?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #30
DisneyDiana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle&Jakesmom View Post
Anyone have experience with older kids ordering off the kid's menu at the Sci-Fi (paying OOP)?
DS10 ordered off the kids menu at scifi in June with no problem. I didn't mention his age, I just asked for a kids menu when we were seated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: