Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
TinkOhio
DIS Veteran

Charleston on the Cheap?

We just booked a few nights for this April in Charleston, SC, and we are looking for things to do that won't break the bank. We were lucky to find a fantastic deal at a new hotel at the City Center, and we plan on spending 2 of our 3 nights there at a tennis tournament.

Are there must-see things to do there? Places to eat? what are your favorites? Any and all suggestions are very appreciated!

TIA!

Last edited by TinkOhio; 01-21-2013 at 12:43 AM.
TinkOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
MAD4EEYORE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkOhio
We just booked a few nights for this April in Charleston, SC, and we are looking for things to do that won't break the bank. We were lucky to find a fnatastic deal at a new hotel at the City Center, and we plan on spending 2 of our 3 nights there at a tennis tournament.

Are there must-see things to do there? Places to eat? what are your favorites? Any and all suggestions are very appreciated!

TIA!
We went to Charleston in April 2011 the flowers are in bloom and gorgeous. The Charleston market is a must, they sell local handcrafted goods. We did a carriage ride to see the historic homes. We used Palmetto carriage it was about $25 and they offered coupons on their website and 4 hours of free parking. Around their we ate at a pizza place that had huge pieces of pizza for cheap and it was very delicious. It was the size of 2 regular pieces of pizza. I googled the name it's Pizzeria Di Giovanni 40 market st. We also walked down King St. Where they have shopping and many restaurants. Another good restaurant was Toast. The best meal of our trip. I also recommend seeing a plantation especially while the flowers are in bloom. We went to Magnolia Place. It was $15 to tour the gardens and you could add a tour of the house for 8 and a tram ride to the swamp area for 8 as well. The gardens were great and not to be missed. The tram ride and the plantation house could be missed. It wasn't any different than any other house except it gave you the history of it and the family. Another plantation is Middleton Place. One of the last things we did was a boat tour of Fort Sumter.

Hope this helps

Tanya
MAD4EEYORE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
mom0299
DIS Veteran

I love Charleston. We've done carriage tours, a harbor tour, Ft. Sumter, USS Yorktown, SC Aquarium and Magnolia Plantation. All of them are great. I suggest going to the Welcome Center downtown and getting information on any tours you want to do. You can also do a walking tour on your own. You can walk into many of the beautiful churches and their cemeteries. It may sound strange, but we enjoy seeing old cemeteries. There is so much history there. On your walk down you'll want to stop at the old slave market. Walk all the way down to the tip "The Battery" and make sure you walk back up the harbor side to see Rainbow Row. I highly recommend eating at Hyman's Seafood. Charleston has so much to do. Have a great time!

Disneymoon @ Dixie Landings - 1993 Family Trip @ CR - 2004 Family Trip @ CSR - 2006 Family Christmas Trip @ All Star Sports - 2006 New Year Grand Gathering @ Pop - 2007/2008 Family Christmas Trip @ CBR - 2010 Family Trip @ POR - 2013
mom0299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
placeela
Earning My Ears

Hi! I was born and raised in NE Ohio, but since my husband is military, I have been able to live in Charleston the last three years. It is great! All the above suggestions are great. We have eaten many places downtown and never a bad experience. If you are going to be here on a Saturday, I would also recommend the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings in Marion Square.

The main thing that I wanted to add is to sign up for groupon and living social alerts for the Charleston area. I have had a ton of friends and family come visit and all have taken carriage tours. I always get deals for carriage tours. They have them about once a month on each site and they are usually around $10 each instead of the normal price of $20. We have also done walking tours through groupon. All of have been great experiences and good prices.

Finally, definately go to one of the plantations if you are here in April because the gardens are beautiful that time of year!! Magnolia is recommended for the gardens. Middleton also has beautiful gardens, but is a lot more expensive. Drayton hall doesn't have a lot of grounds but the house is one of few that is from the mid 1700s because most all the other plantations were burned during the civil war. All are great. Hope you have a wonderful time!
placeela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
TinkOhio
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for the wonderful tips! We're really excited about our visit.

Will the weather at the beginning of April be warm enough for outdoor swimming? The hotel has a heated outdoor pool. Also, we might visit a local beach. Which one should we see? I'm guessing the ocean water will only be warm enough for wading so early in the season.

Thanks, again!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
placeela
Earning My Ears

You should definately be able to swim, especially if the pool is heated. It is usually in the 80s by April. It is a nice time to visit because it can get super hot by summer (esp when you are used to Ohio temps!) We like to go to Ohio in the summer to get some relief from the heat here!

I have to say we are bad about visiting the beaches. We tend to go somewhere we know and like and then stick with it. We like Isle of Palms. There are nice facilities and it is pretty close to downtown. Folly Beach is nice, but doesn't have a park there anymore due to a hurricane last year. Most people we know really like Beachwalker Park on Kiawah Island, but we haven't actually been there. Hopefully this spring we can make it there.
placeela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Ft Sumter and Patriot's Point are great places to visit. Also, the lighthouses there are really neat to see.
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Nina1
Disney Lover

Charleston is one of our favorite places on the planet. You've gotten some great suggestions. Want to add that, while the carriage tours are great for learning about the amazing history there, you can't beat parking in the battery and just strolling through the historic district. The homes are breathtaking. Many have some sort of historic marker. Don't pass up the cemeteries - so much history there. Also, try to eat at 82 Queen or Husk. Check out the Rutledge house - George Washington slept there. Do a house tour, too. If you can, drive out to John's island and see the Angel Oak. Must be seen to be believed.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Nina1
Disney Lover

One more thing...definitely go to Magnolia Plantation.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
TinkOhio
DIS Veteran

I'm bumpig this to see if there are any more specific places people can suggest. Also, are there any particualr tour companies or carriage ride companies that anyone would suggest?

Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #11
lillyshelle
2nd Generation Disney Lover

Hello!! My family and I have lived 1.5 hours near Charleston our whole life. Its sad I can trace ancestors that come to Charleston in the Revolutionary War. We never left!!!

Anyway, Angel Oak on John's Island is a great budget friendly placed to visit. It may take you 30-45min to get there but it is worth it. You can look it up on wikipedia.

Long Island Cafe on Isle of Palms is a great place to eat lunch or dinner. I think they have better She Crab Soup than Hyman's Downtown.

THe market and plantations are great to check out. Some of the admissions for the plantations are pricey.

I cannot help you with the actual companies to use. I'm sorry to say I avoid downtown as much as I can.

Cypress Gardens is a cheaper place you can visit if you want to stay away from the plantations.

If you have any other questions you can pm me.
lillyshelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
bigmamimia
Mouseketeer

We went about 2 years ago (in mid April) and loved Angel Oak on St. Johns Island. It is unbelieveable the top thing we did in Charleston.
Charlestown Landing was a fun place to go.
Cypress Gardens was nice. Go early and sign up for the boat ride.
We saw a professional baseball game and sat just a few seats away from a famous actor which was interesting.
bigmamimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
mollymar
Mouseketeer

I am so excited. I just logged on to ask about Charleston and this was the first thread that came up. We will be spending a few nights in Charleston before heading up to Myrtle Beach for spring break. Can anyone recommend the best area to book a hotel? I looked on the map and it seems pretty spread out. We will have a rental car of course but am looking for a central area. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

Hey guys. I live in Charleston so hopefully I can answer some of you questions.

1) Where to stay -- this really depends on budget and if you want to drive. You can save alot by not staying downtown, but you will most likely have to pay for parking downtown if you want to do the historic district. Parking is approx. $16/day in most of the garages or $1/ half hour. There are some cheaper parking places to be found, but that is what I would budget for.

2) If I were going to stay somewhere other than downtown, my first choice would be Mount Pleasant. It is close to the beaches, close to downtown and easy driving to downtown. The next place I would consider is North Charleston, but only the area just around the airport/Tanger Outlet area. I would NOT stay on Ashley Phosphate Road in North Charleston. If you are looking/considering a specific hotel, I would be happy to give you the yea or nay on it's location.

3) Great places to eat -- For a great view, I like Vickery's on Shem Creek. It is in Mt. Pleasant if you're staying in that area. If you want total Southern food, look to Page's Okra Grill, or Boulevard Diner. Also, one of my favorites is Mustard Seed.
For downtown, the options are endless. We have amazing restaurants and are totally spoiled. Husk was named best new restaurant by Food and Wine last year. There are lots of fine dining choices, like Slightly North of Broad, McCrady's, Blossom, Anson's, Magnolia's, Cyprus, Peninsula Grill, Charleston Grill just to name a few.
If you are looking for more budget friendly, look at Fleet Landing (on the water), Pooghan's Porch, 82 Queen (more affordable at lunch). The courtyard restaurant at The Mills House hotel has a wonderful Sunday brunch and great lunch specials.

4) Things to do. Charleston has some amazing County parks with beautiful bike/hiking trails along the marsh. Entry is $1/person.
The carriage rides and boat to Ft. Sumter are always crowd pleasers.
The farmer's market at Marion Square on Sundays has great food and entertainment.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask or you can send me a private message.
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class
April 2014 Grand Floridian July 2014 Wilderness Lodge Club Level
CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic*
*April 2014 Disney Dream* UpcomingNovember 2014 Disney Fantasy

ADVENTURES BY DISNEY - MAY 2014 Viva Italia

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
graceesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
mollymar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceesmom View Post
Hey guys. I live in Charleston so hopefully I can answer some of you questions.

1) Where to stay -- this really depends on budget and if you want to drive. You can save alot by not staying downtown, but you will most likely have to pay for parking downtown if you want to do the historic district. Parking is approx. $16/day in most of the garages or $1/ half hour. There are some cheaper parking places to be found, but that is what I would budget for.

2) If I were going to stay somewhere other than downtown, my first choice would be Mount Pleasant. It is close to the beaches, close to downtown and easy driving to downtown. The next place I would consider is North Charleston, but only the area just around the airport/Tanger Outlet area. I would NOT stay on Ashley Phosphate Road in North Charleston. If you are looking/considering a specific hotel, I would be happy to give you the yea or nay on it's location.

3) Great places to eat -- For a great view, I like Vickery's on Shem Creek. It is in Mt. Pleasant if you're staying in that area. If you want total Southern food, look to Page's Okra Grill, or Boulevard Diner. Also, one of my favorites is Mustard Seed.
For downtown, the options are endless. We have amazing restaurants and are totally spoiled. Husk was named best new restaurant by Food and Wine last year. There are lots of fine dining choices, like Slightly North of Broad, McCrady's, Blossom, Anson's, Magnolia's, Cyprus, Peninsula Grill, Charleston Grill just to name a few.
If you are looking for more budget friendly, look at Fleet Landing (on the water), Pooghan's Porch, 82 Queen (more affordable at lunch). The courtyard restaurant at The Mills House hotel has a wonderful Sunday brunch and great lunch specials.

4) Things to do. Charleston has some amazing County parks with beautiful bike/hiking trails along the marsh. Entry is $1/person.
The carriage rides and boat to Ft. Sumter are always crowd pleasers.
The farmer's market at Marion Square on Sundays has great food and entertainment.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask or you can send me a private message.
Great info! Thank you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: