Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

In the parks:

MK: LTT Lunch only. Very good home cooking food. From pot roast to salads to a good burger.

AK: Yak and Yeti: lunch and or dinner. CS or TS. Yes, TS is much better but the CS is very good. Sweet and sour chicken with fresh green peppers and pineapple, plus many more.

HS: I would go to any of the restaurants. They are all good as in Applebees, TGIF's. None are superb, but all our very, very good.

EPCOT: Any restaurant. Seriously, we have never had a bad meal. Find the menus and pick what you want. Even a bad meal is a good meal (hope that makes sense.

Best Breakfast: Sit Down: Kona - Buffet: Boma

Lunch/Dinner sitdown: Grand Floridian Cafe - Buffet: Boma again, and for more Americanized food: Ohana (now I did not like this restaurant, but I truly believe it was me being overtired and unhungry). I know the potential is there.

I didn't put any Signature restaurants because they are all good on their own merits. Some better than others, but I believe you can get a really good meal with a lower price than them. If money is no option, again look at the menus and GO. You shouldn't be disappointed.

The only meals that I would put believe your neighborhood TGIF's might be CS at the resorts. It has always been hit/miss for us.

Have fun planning.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
I often wonder If the Disney food is actually good or if it's people getting caught up in Disney magic. Would you actually eat at these places if they were in your hometown?
For the ones I mentioned as being places we like going to, YES. Absolutely. But remember, I'm not talking about the whole menu, but the vegetarian options. They might very well have horrible food for omnivores.

One of the things that makes me glad I'm not living in Orlando is that I would have the need to eat at my fave restaurants all the time and that would never go along with my weight-loss efforts. It's best to keep them across the country, LOL.

I guess I don't know why you don't trust people reviewing things. We're all coming from our own tastes, our own backgrounds, likes and dislikes, and if you read a review, take it as face value. If I say the coconut tofu is marvelous, why not believe that that's how I feel? (and DH too, and now our food costs have gone up because DS tried thai food and LOVED it, and that dish is close to Thai without the spice, and I think we'll be paying for an adult dish for DS instead of the grilled cheese this time, LOL)

If I don't like something, it doesn't matter *where* I am. We had the fabulous opportunity to eat at Club 33, and one of the things that people RAVE over was something that was definitely not to my liking.

And I think a lot of people here on the Dis are the same way in terms of telling the truth.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
Paradise18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
Breakfast at Kona Cafe is truly superb. Best coffee on property, too.
Absolutely agree with the above statement. I also love Via Napoli. Their pizza is fantastic, IMO. I am hoping to convince DH to eat there twice this summer.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #19
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

All of the signatures I've eaten at totally blow Applebee's out of the water (they'd better for the prices charged, even considering it's WDW) and, in that regard, it's laughable to even put them in the same sentence. I've eaten at 7 of the and would rank them:

1. Artist Point
2. California Grill
3. Jiko
4. Flying Fish
5. Citricos
6. Yachtsman
7. Hollywood Brown Derby

I've eaten at 3 Epcot table service restaurants and would rank these as:
1. Via Napoli
2. Chefs de France
3. Coral Reef

The first two of these are also significantly better than Applebees (from a pure taste perspective, Via Napoli is, IMO, arguably better than Brown Derby, even though Brown Derby uses more expensive ingredients). Coral Reef is somewhat better than Applebees, but, IMO, not by a lot (I'd compare it to an average to somewhat below average Red Lobster).

The only other in-park table service lunch/dinner I've eaten at is 50's Prime Time. Taste-wise, I'd put this in the same ballpark as Chefs de France, although the style of food is completely different and I think the quality at Chefs de France is somewhat higher (the best comparision to 50's PT outside WDW would be an above-average Cracker Barrel).

I've eaten at three character breakfast buffets, Crystal Palace, Tusker House, and Cape May. From a food quality perspective, all three are very close (would probably give a slight edge to Tusker House) and come close to what you'd get at a mid-priced (e.g., $20ish) but not higher end Vegas breakfast buffet (i.e., don't go in expecting Wynn or Bellagio).

I've also eaten breakfast at CRT, which although it's more expensive, doesn't have, IMO, as good of offerings as any of the above breakfast buffets (the pastries are pretty good but everything else isn't much better than IHOP/Denny's quality IMO).

Finally, I've eaten at 'Ohana a couple times. I think the food here is quite tasty (I actually enjoy the experience better than at least a couple of the signature restaurants) but I've always had ADRs when the restaurant opened at 5 pm and, in that regard, have never experienced the dry meat or poor service that some complain about. The best comparision, style-wise, is probably to a Brazilian steakhouse and, if you're used to eating at one of the higher end chains (e.g., Fogo de Chao, etc.) you may come away disappointed (the meat offerings at 'Ohana, while tasty, are not on the same quality level). In any event, I've found it to be light years better than Applebees.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
topmonkeygirl
DIS Veteran

Here are some of our favs.

50's Prime Time - Authentic southern fried chicken, I'm a Southerner so I should know.
Sci Fi - Burgers, onion rings, and milkshakes are awesome. I wouldn't stray from that.
Hollywood and Vine breakfast - One of my fav breakfast, and I have no idea who the character are I just like the breakfast there.
Akershus - Breakfast is really good, and character interaction is wonderful.
Tuskar House - Breakfast awesome, characters awesome. Not just standard buffet breakfast but has some African inspired foods.
Flame Tree BBQ - Out of this world BBQ.
Rainforest Cafe' - Food is good, service is slow, but there's plenty for the kids to look at.
Crystal Palace - One of DH's fav breakfast places, I think it's just O.K. Character interaction is terrific.
Cindy's Table - The new menu is worth the price, and princess' are great.
Whispering Canyon Cafe' - Great breakfast, and the antics are worth the trip.
Kona lunch - Wonderful fish tacos and sticky wings, some of the best service we've had in all of Disney. (we've been to Artist Point, Narcoossee's, Le Cellier, Yachtman, and Cali Grill)
Ohauna - breakfast great character interaction, food was good and hot.
Liberty Tree Tavern - Love, love, love the food. Good service, quick, didn't want for anything.
Columbia Harbour House - is one of our fav quick service location. Food is much better than most.
Boma - Another place that is worth traveling to for breakfast. This is mine and my DH's fav breakfast places to go to. Kind of like Tuskar as far as the African inspired foods go but more dishes to choose from. Go a little or stay and linger after the meal to check out the resort. Great gift shop, beautiful lobby, animals to look at, and art work to check out.

There's my 2 cents, hope it helps.

It really is a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".
topmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
ksbean
Mouseketeer

AKL - Boma for breakfast (we always go at least once)
DHS - Hollywood Brown Derby (Cobb Salad)
DTD - Earl of Sandwich
MK - Plaza Restuarant

DH luvs Beaches and Cream's No Way Jose Sundae
ksbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #22
cerilene
Mouseketeer

I wish we had 50's Prime Time, Sanaa, Marrakesh, Tusker House (although we'd rarely eat there due to the price), Sunshine Seasons (for the strawberry shortcake), and Earl of Sandwich in our home town!! I would probably eat at 50's and Sanaa on a weekly basis.

cerilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #23
pigletto
DIS Veteran

We've eaten at many very nice restaurants and Jiko is right up there with them. The menu was unique and the food was outstanding. It was easily our favourite meal of any of our Disney trips and in our top 5 of all meals. Maybe we hit a good night, but we were very impressed.
Sanaa is another I would recommend. We travel with a vegetarian dd who is no stranger to good food and it is her favourite.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #24
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
I often wonder If the Disney food is actually good or if it's people getting caught up in Disney magic. Would you actually eat at these places if they were in your hometown?
I would eat at the two I just mentioned, and I would go often.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #25
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

We don't like the antics of say 50's or WC. But we like the food. We eat at the 50's lounge every trip. We like CR. Good food and the aquarium. Tutto Italia and Gusto. The menu is almost the same. VN is a must do. We love RFC and Trex. Food is really good. I would eat at all these places if they were near me!!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: