DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
ANGRebel
Mouseketeer

Best resort for Marathon weekend 2014?

We will have 6 adults and two kids (3 & 1). Any thoughts on the best room choice? SSR is our home resort, and a GV is not an option. We've thought THV or try for 2BR at BLT if there's any availability at 7 months. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated as this will be our first trip as DVC members!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
June 2012 - Shades of Green
December 2011 - BWV
June 2011 - AKV
March 2010 - Port Orleans - French Quarter
March 2009 - Yacht Club
ANGRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Kygirls
Earning My Ears

I don't have an answer, as we are brand new DVC owners at SSR, but we are also looking to come for the marathon in 2014 in we are bringing a crew. I am interested in the answers you receive from the experts.

Margo

2009: off-property
2010: CBR
2011: off-property
2013: WL

Bought DVC at SSR in January 2013

Kygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
mistergq
Earning My Ears

Stayed at Tree House Villas with 5 adults and 1 child for this past marathon weekend and would do it again for 2014.

Tree house only has two bedrooms for adults. The bunk beds are not good for adults because you will bang your head when you wake up in the middle night if you are on the bottom bunk.

So adults 5 and 6 need to sleep in the living room on the pull out couch.

At 3:00 AM, SSR sent one of the DVC vans around the tree houses every 15 minutes to pick up runners and dropped them off at the main bus area. It was very smooth process, but only ran from 3:00 to 3:45.
mistergq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

As far as getting around for/during the marathon - especially if any of you are spectators - I would do BLT. We just stayed at OKW for the marathon and loved it - just DH and I - but the transportation to/from and in between the marathon would be awesome from BLT.
For the 1/2 marathon I didn't even make it into the MK - waited at T&TC so I could jump right back on the monorail and beat him to the finish line (many people reported long lines at MK going back to T&TC that morning).
For the full marathon I ended up taking the resort monorail over to BLT from T&TC and walking to MK since they weren't opening the monorail until 5:30 AM to take people to MK (the resort monorail was by-passing the MK stop until then). If you were staying at BLT you would be right there already.

bjakmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

As posted above, BLT would be the best for spectators getting around to see those running. It would also be a great location for visiting MK on marathon day. Even more so than normal as the bus transportation is not great until late afternoon that day due to road closures.

Now if some were not running and wanting to visit HS or Epcot, then Boardwalk or Beach club would be bar far the best choices. Again due to buses and road closures for other resorts.

Other than the monorail resorts and being able to walk from OKW, I don't think there is much of a difference if you are only looking at transportation to and from the race for runners.

Upcoming: 12/14 - AKV, 11/15 - BWV (W&D 1/2), 11/15 - Magic Bahamas Cruise

2014: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), July - BWV, Mar - BLT, Jan - VGC
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy Race & 1/2)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2007: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
madduck
Mouseketeer

Do many people actually walk from OKW? Is it possible to walk from BWV?
madduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madduck View Post
Do many people actually walk from OKW? Is it possible to walk from BWV?
I know there were several that walked to the start line from OKW. There were some directions on the second 2013 marathon thread. They do not want for you to walk, but if I were staying there I would do it. It wouldn't be that much more of a walk from where the buses drop you off.

The walk to BWV would be much longer. You could walk back after the marathon if you had a ticket to get into Epcot. Depending on your speed (3 hour plus), you could do the same for the half. I found the bus back to the resort much better than getting there. The runners leaving are spread out much more than getting there so the traffic is not nearly as bad. I was back at BWV within 15 mins of crossing the finish line of the marathon and maybe 20 mintues on the morning of the half.

Upcoming: 12/14 - AKV, 11/15 - BWV (W&D 1/2), 11/15 - Magic Bahamas Cruise

2014: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), July - BWV, Mar - BLT, Jan - VGC
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy Race & 1/2)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2007: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
drusba

DIS Veteran

You cannot really walk to the Epcot lot. You need to arrive at 4 a.m. to get ready for start of the race. You cannot walk from the Epcot resorts because Epcot is closed and you would need to walk through it. You cannot walk from other resorts including OKW because walking outside the resorts along the roads is frowned upon and there are no sidewalks (some still do it). They have buses that run from the resorts to the Epcot lot

For OP, for a group your size, room size and number of beds may make a large difference. AKV Kidani, BLT and OKW 2BRs all provide the extra sleeper chair and can give you 2 queens in the second bedroom (in dedicated units at Kidani and BLT and all units at OKW). OKW provides the largest space, followed by AKV Kidani.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
ANGRebel
Mouseketeer

What would be the chance of getting a 2BR at BCV or BWV for marathon weekend at the seven month mark?

June 2012 - Shades of Green
December 2011 - BWV
June 2011 - AKV
March 2010 - Port Orleans - French Quarter
March 2009 - Yacht Club
ANGRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRebel
What would be the chance of getting a 2BR at BCV or BWV for marathon weekend at the seven month mark?

We stayed at BLT for the actual marathon, but for the 11 nights before it we were at BCV. When I was looking to switch from BCV to BLT I noticed that 2 bedroom lock offs and dedicated (but NOT the 2 queen bed category) were still available at 7 months.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
stitch4336
Mouseketeer

Hi Anyone have any experience with SSR on race day?
This will be our first WDW race event - we've done both events at DLR, but you can walk to everywhere there so we had no problems.

SSR is our home resort (but we've never stayed there HA!). I went ahead and booked a ressy for Jan to cover the race weekend but was thinking of moving at 7 months if I find a better option for the race - and it's available!

We have 3 adults for sure - 2 runners, 1 spectator. Possibly adding another spectator or 2. Any thoughts on SSR greatley appreciated! Did the early AM busses to the corrals work fine? Transport back work ok? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
kaulds
Earning My Ears

I stayed at SSR this past year, it was very convenient . The bus line did get long but it went fast. I am going to consider staying there again last year.
kaulds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

When you catch the bus to the start of the race at SSR and OKW, you have to catch the bus at the main building. These buses do not go around the resort picking you up.

You don't want to walk from OKW. They seriously don't want you to do that with the traffic on the road before the race start and the course is fenced. You'd have to climb over a fence to get to the race.

BLT may be hard to get at seven months. Because it is so convenient with the monorail.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
stitch4336
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the responses! I think we may keep our SSR ressy then
It is my home resort after all - I reckon I should stay there once haha. HEY just realized SSR has a spa! Post race massage - YES please.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #15
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

We have participated in 2 Marathon weekends. Once we had BLT, booked at 7 months with a waitlist for a 2 bedroom that was fulfilled, and once in AKV, Kidani. Transportation was great, good for each.

The family is doing things again for 2014, and I asked about OKW here, people have given favorable thoughts, so that's where I hope to book at 7 months out.

Bobbi

PS. We are waiting for ROFR on a BLT contract, and if we can get in there, I am still unsure that it would be better than OKW, but I may book it if I can so that we have something when the 7 month window opens.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: