Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
Ripey
Earning My Ears

We were very pleasantly surprised by the lunch buffet at Hollywood and Vine. One of our favorite meals. We also ate at our resort restaurant, Shutters, and LOVED it. That was at CBR. Didn't even cross my mind to go eat there, DH suggested it.
Ripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by showers2flowers View Post
Same here. One of my favorite meals of the trip. Surprised me, because I was basically expecting to endure it in order to not have to wait in line for princess autographs at another time. I really liked the food (in fact, I am trying to re-create the rice cream dessert today!)
Please let me know how that works out for you! My husband absolutely loves that dessert and it is the only rice pudding I have ever found that I liked. I would love to be able to make it for our family one night when we do our "Ode to Disney" meals.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
dmiller64152
Mouseketeer

Can't answer to the "ended up loving" part but ... trip in June this year and I think I've already cancelled or changed most of my ADRs!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Our biggest pleasant surprise was Sci-Fi. It constantly gets negative reviews & they used to be even worse. We decided to try it for lunch to see the restaurant. We thoroughly enjoyed. The burger & onion rings were the best we've had on WDW property. It was also the quietest restaurant including signatures. It was so nice to have a relaxing, quiet lunch at Disney.

The other would be Tony's. Again, we had never tried it & wanted to see the restaurant once. After reading reviews, I warned DH that we may have to eat somewhere else after leaving there. I really wasn't expecting it to be palatable. It wasn't the best meal we've had at WDW, but it definitely wasn't even close to as bad as some of the negative reviews we've read. I would dine there again for lunch, & I can't say that for all the restaurants on property.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
mousiemom
adam lambert lover!

ours was the biergarten in germany. i'm not a huge fan of german food, well, we fell in love with the restaurant, the entertainment and the food! you would never know that restaurant is back there!! all 30 of us loved it!

[]75-DL/80-WDW/97-WDW/99-DISNEYMOON-ASM/02-DD 1ST TRIP-ASM/04-ASM/05-POP/06-POP/1/07-POP/5/07-POR/8/07-SSR/12/07-POP/1/08-POP/6/08-DL-HOJO/9/08-POP/12/08-ASM/2/09-POP/5/09-POP/9/09-POP/12/09-POP/5/10-POP/12/10-POP/11/11-POPBC12/11-POP-11/12POP 4/13/POP-11/13Offsite-4/14/POP-11/14
mousiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #21
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

We went to Sanaa on our trip last May. I wasn't in love with the menu when I made the ressie and wasn't sure that I would like the food. Man, am I glad I made that ressie. It was wonderful! The food, the service and the ambiance were all great! DH and I loved the meal

The only downside is that if you aren't staying at AKL it's really out of the way and not the easiest place to get to. Other than that...YUM!

wdwpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
showers2flowers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Please let me know how that works out for you! My husband absolutely loves that dessert and it is the only rice pudding I have ever found that I liked. I would love to be able to make it for our family one night when we do our "Ode to Disney" meals.
Well, I would say it's close, but not quite right. (I used the recipe on allears and scaled it down) I am wondering if they use whole milk, because I used 2 percent and it was not as creamy as the real deal. Other than that, it's actually pretty good. I did end up putting the strawberry preserve mixture on the stove to reduce a little because it was very watery when blended, but I am guessing that could vary as well, depending on the type or brand of preserves used. Definitely needs to be chilled before serving.

I hate rice pudding with a passion, but something made me try that stuff--and I LOVE it!

Too bad Boma's bread pudding couldn't put an end to my irrational hatred of bread pudding.
showers2flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #23
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Maybe this one doesn't count because it gets pretty high scores now, but back when AK first opened, (and before this board even existed to sing praises), I walked up to Flame Tree with great skepticism. Amusement park BBQ....ugh! But I was pleasantly surprised.

And despite positive reviews of both the food and wine, I expected to be let down at Jiko, figuring that it would be "South Africa Lite" in the Disney sense. But I was impressed by both the quality of the food and the depth of the wine list. When I first dined there, I was working part time for a wine distributor and we had a very deep portfolio of South African wines before most people could even spell Pinotage, and I expected to see the "Mondavi Woodbridge" and Kendall-Jackson level of wines on their list. I was delighted to see that I was wrong, and that many of the wines that I sold were well represented on the list.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #24
loganpaulsmom
DIS Veteran

The problem is as a DIS 'er you want to have all the info you can about your trip including restaurants. This poses so many problems!! Lol I now base my restaurants on the park that I choose that day. We have already had to cancel multiple ressies for our April trip because we keep changing our itinerary. I try to do at least 1 signature and at least 1 sit down per day..
loganpaulsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
LuvGoofy6
"This bond between us can't be broken. I will be here, don't you cry." ~ Kala

I thought the Sci-Fi Dine-In would be cheesy but we went because my husband loves those old sci-fi movie clips. I was genuinely pleased with the food and the service was wonderful each and every time.

We heard bad reviews about 1900 Park Fare but decided to try it on our first trip (for breakfast) because we heard the character interaction was the best. Well, the character interaction was wonderful and so was the breakfast. We have eaten there on all of our trips. The Mad Hatter is hilarious and likes to have fun with the adults!

(Disneyland): 2013 Sheraton Park
LuvGoofy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #26
Merbean09
Mouseketeer

Before I was on the Dis-boards, when we went two June's or so ago, we were at Epcot. We were just going to eat at Seasons or Electric Umbrella (), but instead we stumbled upon Via Napoli. It was hands down the best food we've had at WDW and the best pizza we've ever had.
The servers there were so adorable and authentic, and they were so nice. I also love the atmosphere

Jordan - Daddy/Puts up with Disney fanatic of the same name

London- Son/Disney Fantic- in training
Merbean09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
roushcivic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
I wasn't expecting to like Cape May Cafe seafood buffet because I don't like or eat Crab legs. But they had plenty of other stuff I did like and I ended up enjoying it. DH didn't care for it much but the kids loved it because THEY DO eat Crab legs.
seafood buffet....tell me more
roushcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #28
Three cats
DIS Veteran

I was skeptical about San Angel Inn for lunch but ended up loving it. It is on our must do list for our next trip.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #29
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three cats
I was skeptical about San Angel Inn for lunch but ended up loving it. It is on our must do list for our next trip.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Same here! We had dinner there and loved it!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #30
PosadaGirl519
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripey View Post
We also ate at our resort restaurant, Shutters, and LOVED it. That was at CBR. Didn't even cross my mind to go eat there, DH suggested it.
Yes! The resort restaurants are such hidden gems. I was so surprised by Olivias (OKW) The Maya Grill (CS) and Boma (AKL).

March 1985 OP
, March 1988 OP, March 1991 OP, Christmas 1993 OP, January 1999 OP, March 2005 OP, August 2008 AllSS, May 2009 '29th Birthday Celebration' POR, December 2009 'Fairy Tale Wedding' AKL, November 2011 'Quinn's 1st Birthday' SSTHV , March 2013 'Kennedy's 1st Birthday' BWV, October 2013 'Cary's 35th Birthday Present'
PosadaGirl519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: