Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
leeg229
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Even though it's really designed for children, I don't see how Goofy's Barnstormer would be a bad choice.
Honestly, and this is just my opinion, Barnstormer threw me around and rattled me worse than Space or Everest ever did.

Personally, I'd start off with what others have said Thunder Mountain.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #17
bleeps
DIS Veteran

I am a reformed ride chicken -- and I NEVER thought I'd ever be able to ride anything other than the tamest kiddie rides. On our family's second trip to WDW, my son (then 6) said his one wish for the trip was that I would try Splash Mountain, and I've worked my way up to *almost* everything else since then.

I agree with those who point out that Goofy's coaster is actually a bit more intense for people who don't do rollercoasters than BTMRR is.

But here's my most important advice:
Keep breathing, and keep focusing on keeping your body relaxed -- don't tense all up and ride with all your muscles in "holding on for dear life" mode. You start this process of relaxing by telling yourself that although it may be scary, the ride isn't going to hurt or kill you -- you are going to survive, even if you don't love every moment. It's the process of tensing up, and riding with your muscles all stiff, that really makes the rides worse and makes you feel "hurt" or sore when you get off. By staying loose, and allowing your body to kind of move along naturally with the movements of the ride (which you can only do if you trust that it's not going to kill you), you'll find that it's SO much easier to ride.

I will say that our family's annual trips got a lot more fun -- for all of us -- when I stopped sitting out every other ride and starting sharing the experiences with my family. I still don't do RnRC, and I've done EE once (maybe I'll try again next trip!), but being able to go on most rides is really awesome. And again, I never ever thought I'd get over my fear of rides. Lucky for me, a 6-year-old had something important to teach a 42-year-old!!

WDW once a year since 2003!
bleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #18
brobrosmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeA View Post
I would suggest big thunder. Try to sit in the front it is tamer than the back. I can do big thunder with no problem, EE makes me cry. You can do it! Enjoy your trip

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I agree...BTMRR and sit in the front.

brobrosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
HappyPeach
Mouseketeer

Barnstormer
4 day Disney Wonder, June 2007 -*- 7 day Eastern Caribbean Disney Magic, February 2010 -*- 4 day Disney Wonder, May 2010 -*- 7 day Western Caribbean Disney Magic, February 2011 -*- 7 day Eastern Caribbean Disney Magic, April 2011 -*- 5 day Disney Dream, January 2012 -*- 7 day Disney Fantasy, April 2013 -*-12 day EBTA Disney Magic, May 2014

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

HappyPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #20
ses1230
DIS Veteran

I am a major ride chicken, I can't even do Soarin. Last time I decided I would try because younger DD was now tall enough and I didn't want DH to take both girls by himself. I started with Barnstormer and while I didn't like it, I was able to count to 30 and it was over. Then I tried BTMRR and Splash and really disliked both of those. If I had done one of those first I would never have tried anything else, so I recommend Barnstormer to start.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #21
krb2g
DIS Veteran

A testimonial from a family member of a reformed ride chicken:

When I was little, my mother wouldn't go on any of the coasters with us (except maybe Big Thunder; we never much messed with Barnstormer). Then she got sick of sitting around and waiting for us to ride. Now she'll go on everything but Tower of Terror (she really hates drops most of all), and while she doesn't *love* the coasters the way the rest of us do, we all have more fun because we're together on the rides. I might add that it's made for some *great* ride photos....
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
mom2munchkins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismmom1 View Post
If you hate drops, I don't suggest Splash Mountain...it feels like you're going off the edge of the earth! It is over quickly, but ugh, I HATE that feeling!
I hate drops.My stomach is so touchy. I often feel like I'm going to hurl...even over mini drops on the rode while driving.

I can do going around in circles. Not my fav but I can manage it better than I drop. I really like Aerosmith so had thought it would be fun but I see that is a big no-no chickens like me. I hae done Test Track hated it the first time..made me so sick I braed it for my son the second time and was ok. Part of my chicken-itis is also not knowing what's coming. So the suggestion for you tube videos is and awesome thought. Thanks for all the advice

Wilderness Lodge December 2010
mom2munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
kermiebudge
Mouseketeer

Try Barnstormer as a warm-up... Then I bet you'll do BTM no problem! BTM is really just a series of twists and turns without any significant drops at all. Don't be put off by the climb up the hill either...no major dropping as you just circle and twist your way down. Good luck!!!
kermiebudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #24
RoosMama
Mouseketeer

Y'all might think this is crazy, but my mom NEVER did any roller coasters - she finally agreed to try Big Thunder Mountain a couple of years ago. (I agree - this is a good starter one.) She liked it, but didn't care about going again. On the same trip, my dad and I (who are big roller coaster fans) convinced her to go on Rockin Roller Coaster. She refused at first, but made it through the line. I had to convince her at the end to not take the chicken exit and she was clinging onto me when we got in the coaster. She screamed through the whole thing and I was scared she hated it and was going to hate me for convincing her, but it turned out she absolutely loved it! She even made us go thru the 90 minute line to ride it again. *rolls eyes*

So for anyone who is scared of coaster, you never know which one you might love!
RoosMama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2munchkins
I hate drops.My stomach is so touchy. I often feel like I'm going to hurl...even over mini drops on the rode while driving.

I can do going around in circles. Not my fav but I can manage it better than I drop. I really like Aerosmith so had thought it would be fun but I see that is a big no-no chickens like me. I hae done Test Track hated it the first time..made me so sick I braed it for my son the second time and was ok. Part of my chicken-itis is also not knowing what's coming. So the suggestion for you tube videos is and awesome thought. Thanks for all the advice
The Rock 'n Roller Coaster isn't a definite no for a ride chicken (and i say that as a proud member of the chicken family who didn't really like the ride). It is extremely smooth, it is in the dark and somewhat disorientating so you may not even be aware you are upside down, and it is over very quickly so if you hate it, you won't be on it long. It also doesn't have the drop sensation and you can just concentrate on the music to get you through. It's just a lot for a first time coaster - fast, high speed launch, over the shoulder restraints, etc. See if you can find a lights on or night vision you tube video of it so you get a good idea of what it's about. And don't sit in the front seat or the back car.

Overall, I found that I wasn't really scared - I just wasn't really enjoying it.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #26
MsLeFever
WPASADI II Co-Winner
Wants to be the #1 WPASADI!
Won't beg for a tag but will rewrite disco songs!
Eating chocolate is a good cure for anything and everything!

Goofy's Barnstormer - barely a coaster but still fun!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #27
hughech
Earning My Ears

Barnstormer has to be the easiest. My child can't take any of them except barnstormer and btm so they must be the easiest lol
hughech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #28
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

I think Big Thunder is the best starter coaster.

People ask me why I keep going back to Disney. Truthfully, it's because the rides there are just my speed. There are coasters but they aren't big, scary coasters. I went to Six Flags with my friends in college and rode 2 rides the whole day. I'm just too scared of most rides. I didn't feel like I got my money's worth, while at Disney, there is enough to keep me occupied all day. I was in MK from open to close on Friday and wasn't bored for a moment!

Anyway...back to the topic. Space Mountain was the first roller coaster I ever rode (I was 12 years old) and I loved it then and I still love it. If you aren't afraid of the dark, that's a good one to start with as well. Actually...it might be better to have no idea where you're going! I think it's a little smoother than BTMRR too.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #29
katt789
DIS Veteran

I would reccommend going in this order:

-Barnstormer
-Big Thunder (it really isn't that wild)
-Splash Mtn (there's really only the 1 big drop that you can see from the outside, then a little drop on the inside)

Depending how you're feeling and how those went over, I'd personally hit up Everest, then Space, then RnR, but that's just me, I don't like things in the dark, and Space is super bumpy, so I'm not a fan, but I LOVE EE!!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #30
Phdmama06
DIS Veteran

My five-year-old is nervous about anything new, but he got excited about riding the Barnstormer. One thing I liked about it is that if he DIDN'T like it, it's a very short ride LOL. Turns out we ended up going on several times in a row!!

BTM would be the next one in line, I think. My dad HATES roller coasters and thrill rides of any kind, but he will still ride that one with no problem.

Not a fan of Space Mt. It's a rough ride plus in the dark...not my cup o' tea!
Phdmama06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: