Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
mom2munchkins
Mouseketeer

Good first time coaster

I am a big time major chicken.I promised my kiddos next time we go to WDW I would go on one of the coasters. Which would be a good starter?

Wilderness Lodge December 2010
mom2munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
JaimeA
Mouseketeer

I would suggest big thunder. Try to sit in the front it is tamer than the back. I can do big thunder with no problem, EE makes me cry. You can do it! Enjoy your trip

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

JaimeA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2munchkins
I am a big time major chicken.I promised my kiddos next time we go to WDW I would go on one of the coasters. Which would be a good starter?
Even though it's really designed for children, I don't see how Goofy's Barnstormer would be a bad choice.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
hugApug
The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful-e.e. cummings

Big Thunder! DBF has only recently started riding Disney coasters and is still pretty weary! But, his favorite out of all of them is Big Thunder. He refuses to ride EE, so I'll be riding solo in June . Good luck!

hugApug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
YankeePrincess
I love Donald Duck

Thunder Mountain for sure.

Bay Lake Tower Owners Since 2009
Waiting on the Poly DVC!
YankeePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
LadyLuck24
Mouseketeer

Big Thunder! I am a wimp & that is my favorite ride. If you're really a wimp, sit in the front. And you can watch the ride on YouTube before you go on it!
LadyLuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

another vote for big thunder. my mother has a life long fear and was able to do this just fine. she thought it was real easy, just a bit bumpy. she hated primeval whirl in AK. she was not used to the overhead lap bar and got herself a bit stuck at first and hated all the spinning.

i think EE is a very smooth ride and easy, but if you are a beginner i can see the dark + backwards adding to the fear factor. however as i pointed out to my mother if you can handle the top speed on test track i don't think EE is that far off.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Big Thunder Mountain! I don't love roller coasters, but I could ride BTMR all day.

There is the Great Goofini (Barnstormer)... but I never liked it because the back of the seats were really uncomfortable..not sure if they've changed since the refurb, but they used to be hard plastic that was ribbed to look like an orange cushion. It was painful even though the ride is really tame.
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
BebopBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
monkyby87
Mouseketeer

Barnstormer is short and meant for kids, but still is a good "first coaster". After that I would do Big Thunder. It will be kind of rough and "jerky", but isn't really intense and there aren't any huge drops or anything. I would make Exepdition Everest and Rockin' Rollercoaster the last coasters to do, if you do them.

WDW - 2011
WDW - 2012
monkyby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
monkyby87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BebopBaloo View Post
Another vote for Big Thunder Mountain! I don't love roller coasters, but I could ride BTMR all day.

There is the Great Goofini (Barnstormer)... but I never liked it because the back of the seats were really uncomfortable..not sure if they've changed since the refurb, but they used to be hard plastic that was ribbed to look like an orange cushion. It was painful even though the ride is really tame.
I rode it back in August, and I do kind of remember the seats being uncomfortable It's not too bad though since it's pretty short.

WDW - 2011
WDW - 2012
monkyby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

I'm a fellow ride chicken - afraid of heights, afraid of speed, afraid of drops - married to a roller coaster. It's taken numerous trips but I've finally sampled every ride that WDW has to offer.

In spite of all of my fears, Big Thunder Mountain is one of my all time favorite rides. I need at least three rides a trip, preferably in the back. I agree the front is not quite as scary, though.

Depending on what scares you about the roller coasters, I might recommend just starting with Big Thunder Mountain - it doesn't go too fast and has no straight down drops or upside down elements. It is also pretty smooth.

I hated the Great Goofini - it wasn't scary but the seats were uncomfortable and it hurt my head.

You might also consider Splash Mountain - not a coaster but it does have the long, fast drop at the end (scary but it lasts less than 4 seconds) or Test Track (really a fast car ride) as options to try before Big Thunder.

I was OK on Space Mountain but thought it was kind of rough. The dark also makes it feel much faster. Also survived Rock 'n Roller Coaster in spite of the launch, the dark, and the inversions. I would do SM or RRC again but didn't really like either of them. I hated Expedition Everest - thought the backwards part was fun but I was absolutely terrified at the end of the ride and will probably never ride again. None of these three would make a good first roller coaster but may be good options if you like Big Thunder.

I second the recommendation for the you tube videos - knowing what to expect when helped me. Also, when you do ride, make sure to keep your head still and back against the head rest. And be sure to breathe. I hope you have fun!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Goofy and Thunder Mountain are both pretty tame, though I agree with whoever said that Splash Mountain might be a nice intermediary, too.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

The great thing about Big Thunder is that it doesn't have big drops that go straight down. All the biggest hills go around curves, so you don't get that free-fall feeling in your stomach.

Goofy's Barnstormer is also a fun kids' coaster.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
autismmom1
Mouseketeer

LOVE LOVE LOVE BTMRR!! You do get thrown around, but there are no big drops...I love the fact that almost every drop spirals down.

I rode the Great Goofini for the first time in Oct. It wasn't bad either...it's very short.

We all hated Space Mountain, very jerky and pitch dark.

I also rode EE for the first time our last trip. Definitely more intense, but not so bad that I would say I wouldn't ride it ever again.

If you hate drops, I don't suggest Splash Mountain...it feels like you're going off the edge of the earth! It is over quickly, but ugh, I HATE that feeling!
2012 Oct Contemporary!! (shhhh, it's a surprise!)
2013 Oct POFQ
2014 Oct POFQ
autismmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
Mickey_for_President
My job's only purpose is to support our WDW habit.

BTMRR ALL THE WAY. Then, you'll get the fever... for more!
(8/13) May - June 2009: A-S Spo (Adults Only!)... (9/13) May 2010: Pop (Adults Only!)... (10/13)
Dec '12 - Jan '13: PO:FQ (Adults Only!)... (11/13) April 2013: AKL... (12/13) Feb 2014: Offsite... (13/13) Jan 2015: AofA & PO:FQ (BFF Trip!)
Mickey_for_President is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: