Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

Which resort has the best overall transportation/location

In your opinion, which resort has the best overall location and transportation? (Asssuming you use only WDW transportation). As with price and amenities, transportation options are always a big factor for us in making a resort decision.

We have only stayed at CR, BLT, and POP. While it is nice to have the monorail and also walk to MK, we found that at the CR/BLT, transportation to the other 3 parks was a huge hassle. A minimum 35 minutes to Epcot via monorail and often 40-45. DHS and AK were about 40-45 minimum too once you factor in stops at other resorts for pickups and stops at Blizzard Beach.

At POP, we couldn't walk anywhere but it had exclusive bus transportation - didn't make any other resort stops and thus was pretty quick. But, you are always dependant on a bus.

I know you can walk to Epcot from some resorts but not sure about HS and AK.

Nothing is riding on this info, I was just curious as to what others thought.
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
lobsterkmd
Mouseketeer

I personally think BC/YC or BW are ideally located because you can walk to two parks- where as the other resorts- you have easy access to one resort and then have to switch transportation to get to the others. That being said, I would pick location based on the park you think you will spend the most time at. This year we are considering a MK resort because we are traveling for the fist time with our baby and our 10 yr old.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

IMOHI I think The Polynesian would be a good bet on the best transportation. That's because you are on the MK monorail loop, and a walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center where you can pick up the monorail to Epcot. Now I know I mention this website a lot but it's the best out there on the Poly, and the website shows how the Poly's transportation speed rivals even Epcot area Hotels including the YC and BC Resorts in the time it takes to get to Epcot on the ride and attraction section of the park. http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Kae
DIS Veteran

We found the Bus service at CSR to be great.

kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Sammie
DIS Veteran

I think "overall" to all 4 parks, SSR and OKW because they are centrally located. Also POR.

Others might be closer to one park or even two but then they are further away to the other two parks.

BC and BW are great for Epcot and Studios but not so great for MK and AK.

And as you said the ones close to MK are great for that, but not so much for other parks.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
themrsp
Disney Freak!

We are staying at BWI in May because of this very reason. My DH hates having to ride buses everywhere. We can walk to both DHS and EPCOT. We can live taking buses to the other two parks.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at most of the deluxes and 1 mod (CBR) and for us, CBR has had the best transportation. CBR is centrally located and we found that it didn't take more than about 10 minutes to get to any theme park, water park, or DTD. With that said, everyone's experience is different and what one might see as great transportation/location, someone else might see as terrible transportation.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterkmd View Post
I personally think BC/YC or BW are ideally located because you can walk to two parks- where as the other resorts- you have easy access to one resort and then have to switch transportation to get to the others. That being said, I would pick location based on the park you think you will spend the most time at. This year we are considering a MK resort because we are traveling for the fist time with our baby and our 10 yr old.
I have to agree with Boardwalk and BC/YC. You can walk to both Epcot (via the International Gate) and HS. I love Port Orleans, but once we are out for the day, we don't return until we are done because we don't want to deal with going back out again. I have several friends that stay at BW because of the convenience to the parks.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

For transportation I think Polynesian wins. You have the MK monorail and can walk to the TTC for the Epcot Monorail.

But i love the Boardwalk location the best.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?

While I like the bus service at POP in that it is dedicated to that hotel, I think POFQ has the best transportation.

It is also centrally located and it is a quick ride to the MK, HS and Epcot. Plus DTD is only a boat ride away and they have a bus as well. I have always found the boat ride, while slow to be very relaxing.

Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
eeyore29
DIS Veteran Wanna-Be

Location: Mount Wannahockaloogie (a small mountain town near Allentown, PA)

At the BC/YC/BWI resorts, your walk to Epcot is about 5 minutes or less. I've heard it's quite a trek over to HS though. I'm not talking miles, but it's not a quick 5-minute walk like Epcot is. We prefer the boatride to HS, very relaxing.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
jackemail
DIS Veteran

I always solve the problem with a Boardwalk/either Poly or WL split. That way, 3 parks are covered with easy transportation.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

There is no one resort that has the best service to all four parks.

For MK I would chose either the Poly or the Contemporary. At the Poly you can walk to the TTC and hop a boat or monorail to MK. At the Contemporary you can walk to the MK.

For Epcot I would pick any of the Boardwalk area resorts. You can walk right into Epcot. Ditto for the Disney Studios. A short walk or boat ride away from any Boardwalk area resort.

For the Animal Kingdom pick the Animal Kingdom Lodge, CSR, or any of the All Stars. All are a short bus ride away.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

It depends on how many days you plan to spend at each park.

We like to do at least two days at MK, two days at EP, and one day at each of HS and AK.

So for us, the Poly has the best overall location, PROVIDED the Monorails are working (which, unfortunately, is never a sure bet).

Second would probably be the Contemporary.

Third would be Boardwalk, then Beach Club, then Yacht Club.

After that, I'd say Grand Floridian, then Wilderness Lodge.

Of the resorts that can only be reached by bus, I'd say CSR (most central location and the bus service is consistently above average).

All that being said, if you really want to maximize location, a MK resort/EP resort split stay can't be beat.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

You can also factor in dining experiences. We usually stay at BC, but we are trying out Poly next trip not only for the monorail convenience, but also because we will be dining at several restaurants nearby.
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: