Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
kermiebudge
Mouseketeer

Ohana- First Dinner Experience

We just got back from a December trip with Dining Plan. We planned our dining reservations months in advance and continued to "fine tune" reservations even during the first part of our stay.

For some reason, one of the reservations we were most torn about making was Ohana. We had only been for breakfast and enjoyed it. I had been scouring the boards daily prior to the trip and started to get nervous about the dinner reviews here. The reservation I most looked forward to started to look like it may be a mistake...maybe even a waste of a dining credit. So I made reservations for dinner, cancelled them, made them again...AND cancelled them. While in Disney, and not exactly thrilled with our reservation I had made on the second night of our stay (Rainforest Cafe), I decided to look and see what other options may be available. An Ohana dinner reservation popped up. So, hesitantly...I grabbed it. I was a little concerned that 1 of our 2 kids may not enjoy the offerings...and I was also concerned about some of the bad reviews...but went with it anyways.

We were seated promptly and the food started streaming in right away... CONTINUOUSLY. Soon after, all doubts went out the window as we enjoyed our bread, salad, dumplings and wings... All fantastic. Then the skewers started.....OMG, they were all tasty, so tender...and plentiful. I have to say, surprisingly the chicken and shrimp were our favorites. Noodles were yummy too... We thought there was absolutely no way we'd be able to fit in dessert, but somehow managed . Service was amazing too as they went out of their way to make sure the kids had fun and that we were not left wanting for a morsel- and we definitely didn't feel rushed. Kids did the coconut races and dragged me up with them to learn Hawaiian dance.

It was the best night ever!!! I'm so glad we decided to try it out... Like any place, I'm sure they have "off" nights, but this will absolutely be another must-do for us on our next trip.
kermiebudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

So glad you discovered Ohana! We also love it and return every trip.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 OKW - July 2015 AKV Kidani June 2016
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
ktnryansmom
Mouseketeer

THANK YOU

for your post. This will be our first dinner meal when we arrive and I've been so worried based on what everyone has been saying...

I am so happy to read your post. Puts my mind at ease a bit!
ktnryansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

O'hana is FREAKING AMAZING. I dream about that place. The dessert is ... there just aren't words. Can't wait to go back!!!!!
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
jfoster
Earning My Ears

Yes, Thank you!
We will be dining here for the first time when we go this May. I must say, Ohana receives a great deal of very mixed reviews. I have second guessed myself a few times, but I want to give it a try! Thanks for the reassurance!
jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
IllinoisMommy
Mouseketeer

Glad you loved it, I wanted to try there but decided against it. Need to leave something for the next trip...

Disneyworld, Off-site 1981; Disneyland, Disneyland Hotel 1983; Disneyworld, Off-site 1992; Disneyworld, Off-site 1997 ; Disneyworld, Old Key West 2003; Disneyworld, POFQ 2007; Disneyworld and Universal, Offsite Christmas 2012
EPCOT Family of the Day, 12-24-12
Hopeful future DVC members
IllinoisMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

We went through the same thing several years ago. We were so glad we did. We return every year and love it each time. Glad you went and enjoyed it. Our kids love the coconut races and the hula dancing too. It is always a greāt night.

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
teesott
Earning My Ears

This makes me happy Ohana is one of the only places I have not dined on property (for dinner) and am definately doing it during our next trip.
teesott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
sissy1
Mouseketeer

This gives me hope, we are going next month and I have been trying to get ressies for weeks now to no avail. Getting ressies while there, WOW, I will keep trying. Thanks!
sissy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
DisneyHardin
DIS Veteran

We ate there for the first time last fall and loved it. DH, who doesn't ever remember the name of any of the Disney restaurants, asked me the other day if we were going to eat at the "meat fest" again this year.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

'Ohana is always our first night celebration dinner. I swear I could eat my weight in wings!!!!!

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
amcnj
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a good experience. Your description sounds exactly like my last visit there. It never ceases to amaze me that others can have a totally negative visit there. I hope I never have one of those off days as I would hate to fear going there again.
amcnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
pigletto
DIS Veteran

We go on every trip and while we did have one pretty bad meal, that was the server and nothing else. In 7 or 8 trips we've never had a horrible Ohana experience.

I think sometimes expectations are the culprit. If you read over and over that something is amazing, it can be a let down because you are expecting so much. On the flipside.. you had been reading some unfavourable reviews and had low expectations so your dinner surpassed them.

It isn't the greatest restaurant on the planet..but it is usually pretty good and we enjoy it!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
JerseyDevils
Mouseketeer

We tried Ohana for the first time on our trip last May. It was easily the best meal of our stay! All of us cannot wait to return!
5/5/11-5/14/11 @ POFQ
5/3/12-5/12/12 @ POFQ 10 days is never enough!!
4/25/13-5/5/13 @ POFQ So we'll do 11 this time.

Me , DW , DS (10) , DD (5) , DS (2)
JerseyDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
IMALOVNDISNEY
DIS Veteran

Glad you enjoyed it. Ohana's is one of our favorites. It's a must do every trip. On our last trip we were a group of 11, our family of 3 were the only ones that had ever dined there. Needless to say, it is now the fave for the rest of the group too.
I usually don't put much stock in others reviews. Every ones likes/dislikes are never the same.
IMALOVNDISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: