Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #61
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,788

It's great to hear about all the gluten free options!! I am concerned about our Atlantis excursion. Does anyone know if there are any glunten free options there? What about Castaway Cay? Thanks
sunshineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #62
postalchick71
Mouseketeer
 
postalchick71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denine View Post
I want to do that for my DD. She is turning 11 on our upcoming cruise. Now, I need to find out how to order it.
They talked to the head server the 1st night, and his birthday was 2 days later.
__________________
2003-4 Night Wonder
2004-7 Night Magic
2005-7 Night Magic
2011-7 Night Magic(Western)
2012-7 Night Magic(Western)
2013-March 24 Dream
2014-April 12 Fantasy
postalchick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #63
jmarsh
Mouseketeer
 
jmarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineNJ View Post
It's great to hear about all the gluten free options!! I am concerned about our Atlantis excursion. Does anyone know if there are any glunten free options there? What about Castaway Cay? Thanks
Castaway Cay yes they have gluten free not sure about Atlantis
__________________
jmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #64
Wonder2008
Mouseketeer
 
Wonder2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 187

When we sailed on the Wonder in 2009, we pre-ordered our Castaway Cay lunch during dinner the night before. I was actually sort of disappointed we did this. Our meals were just fine, they came exactly as we ordered them, but we were too filled to enjoy what was on the Cookie's BBQ buffet. We sailed on the Dream in May 2011 and did not pre-order for Castaway Cay. All I did was ask a chef what was gluten-free. He pointed to this, this, this, and so on, definitely more options than I expected and it was all very good! If cross-contamination is a potential problem, I'm sure they can bring whatever from the back.

A few pages back it was suggested to order your first night dinner as soon as you board the ship. This is a fantastic idea and I wish I had thought to do that sooner! I know to stop by the place where you can change your dining rotation (D Lounge on Dream), but I never thought to ask about that night's dinner!

Has anyone had GF pizza from the quick-service areas at the pools on the Dream? What about all those GF breakfast items that were mentioned (donuts, muffins, etc)? I've always wanted pancakes and waffles in the ship's buffet breakfast (Cabanas), but never knew who to ask. Can I order these through the head server the night before? We had a sit-down breakfast at Royal Palace, but for whatever reason it was very slow.

How do you go about finding a manager or head server on the pool deck?

Any information would be enormously appreciated!

Robert
__________________

D23 Gold Charter Member
Walt Disney World Annual Passholder
Disneyland: 2006 (50th Anniversary), 2007, 2009, Dec 2013
Disney Wonder: 2008, 2009
Disney Dream: 2011
Walt Disney World: Numerous!
Wonder2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #65
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!
 
Denine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalchick71 View Post
They talked to the head server the 1st night, and his birthday was 2 days later.
Thank you!
__________________
DVC '95
Disney Magic 4-99 Disney Magic 10-16-04
Disney Wonder 1-00 Disney Magic 8-20-05
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #66
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!
 
Denine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,224

We were also wondering how you tell them at Topsiders that you need to eat GF. Do you just talk to the person handing out the trays?
__________________
DVC '95
Disney Magic 4-99 Disney Magic 10-16-04
Disney Wonder 1-00 Disney Magic 8-20-05
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #67
jmarsh
Mouseketeer
 
jmarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denine View Post
We were also wondering how you tell them at Topsiders that you need to eat GF. Do you just talk to the person handing out the trays?
Tell someone your gluten free and you need to speak with the chef. The chef will walk you through telling you what you can and cannot have
__________________
jmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #68
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!
 
Denine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsh View Post
Tell someone your gluten free and you need to speak with the chef. The chef will walk you through telling you what you can and cannot have
Thanks! Cruising GF is going to be a whole new experience.
__________________
DVC '95
Disney Magic 4-99 Disney Magic 10-16-04
Disney Wonder 1-00 Disney Magic 8-20-05
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #69
jmarsh
Mouseketeer
 
jmarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denine View Post

Thanks! Cruising GF is going to be a whole new experience.
I was on the Dream May 2nd and it was such a stress free experience. I loved every aspect of it
__________________
jmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #70
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsh View Post
Tell someone your gluten free and you need to speak with the chef. The chef will walk you through telling you what you can and cannot have
And, if you are concerned about cross-contamination, the chef will bring you freshly prepared items from the kitchen. I have seen many instances of cross-contamination where people use the same pair of tongs to pick up different items.
__________________
DH, me, DS 16, DS 14
Candy Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #71
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder2008 View Post


Has anyone had GF pizza from the quick-service areas at the pools on the Dream? What about all those GF breakfast items that were mentioned (donuts, muffins, etc)? I've always wanted pancakes and waffles in the ship's buffet breakfast (Cabanas), but never knew who to ask. Can I order these through the head server the night before? We had a sit-down breakfast at Royal Palace, but for whatever reason it was very slow.

How do you go about finding a manager or head server on the pool deck?

Any information would be enormously appreciated!

Robert
I had the GF pizza on the Fantasy and I was disappointed - it was basically a frozen GF Pizza. Not that great, but not horrible. The only time I had something truly bad that was GF on DCl was on our last day on the Wonder - the pancakes at breakfast were inedible. I think they must have messed up the batter that day. Everything else has been really good (and I have had good GF pancakes before too).

I posted earlier and I will say it again - the GF rolls/bread with dinner, if cold, are not very good. But at Remy they sliced and toasted it for me and it was very good like that. I think that if I had asked my MDR servers to toast it they would have, but I didn't want to slow down the service for everyone else and there was so much other food to eat (and that was healthier than the bread) that I didn't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo71 View Post
How long does it take them to get you the pizza after you order it?
I definitely had to wait - IIRC it was 10-15 minutes. But this was during a very busy time. I got it at Flo's.
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #72
DVCisME
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Apple View Post
And, if you are concerned about cross-contamination, the chef will bring you freshly prepared items from the kitchen. I have seen many instances of cross-contamination where people use the same pair of tongs to pick up different items.
I always ask for stuff from the back because you just never know. I especially request the butter and syrup kind of stuff because most times those items are overlooked as possible contamination.
DVCisME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #73
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!
 
Denine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCisME View Post
I always ask for stuff from the back because you just never know. I especially request the butter and syrup kind of stuff because most times those items are overlooked as possible contamination.
At buffets, if there is a universal bowl of butter, I ask for it from the back.

I always imagine people sticking spoon and tongs into everything unless there is nothing with gluten anywhere near the item DD wants.
__________________
DVC '95
Disney Magic 4-99 Disney Magic 10-16-04
Disney Wonder 1-00 Disney Magic 8-20-05
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #74
Futurist
REAL magic is when you can make people WANT to believe!
 
Futurist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMomInNC View Post
I had the GF pizza on the Fantasy and I was disappointed - it was basically a frozen GF Pizza. Not that great, but not horrible. The only time I had something truly bad that was GF on DCl was on our last day on the Wonder - the pancakes at breakfast were inedible. I think they must have messed up the batter that day. Everything else has been really good (and I have had good GF pancakes before too).

I posted earlier and I will say it again - the GF rolls/bread with dinner, if cold, are not very good. But at Remy they sliced and toasted it for me and it was very good like that. I think that if I had asked my MDR servers to toast it they would have, but I didn't want to slow down the service for everyone else and there was so much other food to eat (and that was healthier than the bread) that I didn't ask.



I definitely had to wait - IIRC it was 10-15 minutes. But this was during a very busy time. I got it at Flo's.
I'm a celiac, and I concur with all of your points. You can order GF pizza, but it's definitely standard frozen GF pizza, which typically means the crust is soggy and too thick. You can order it from room service as well as the deck restaurants, but you will have to wait while they cook it – typically 10-15 minutes. If you're not in a hurry, and ask them to make sure the crust is done, it's slightly better, but it is what it is.

If you go to any of the buffet restaurants, (Topsiders, Beach Blanket, Parrot Cayetc.) just ask any server. Tell them you have food allergies, and need to speak to a chef. One will come out from the back and walk you through the line. Make sure you listen carefully to what they say – they can make mistakes. Once I asked about a salad dressing, and found it was made with malt vinegar. He had told me it was fine, until I mentioned that, and then he
corrected himself. They do their best, and it's mostly really good, but you still need to pay attention.

As for the bread and rolls, it really depends on where they re-provision. When we did a Transatlantic on the Magic out of Barcelona, the bread was really good – until they ran out of it. Other places, it's distinctly so-so. If you're going on the cruise for the bread and rolls, you will probably be disappointed.

As for the pancakes, cakes, and other desserts, I don't eat much of these, so can't tell you much. Waffles are generally Van's frozen waffles.

So, my advice is: manage your expectations, don't hesitate to talk to the servers, ask for a chef as necessary, order ahead, and, most of all, have fun. You can get better GF bread on shore, most likely, but don't let it detract from your cruise!

Hope this helps,
Richard
__________________
Disneyland - July 1956, August 1963, January 2003
DisneryWorld – November 1992, April 1994, March 1997, January 2001, January 2006, April 2011
Disney Magic – January 17-24, 2009; WBTA – Sept. 18-Oct. 2, 2010
Disney Dream – Feb. 6-10, 2011
Disney Fantasy – Maiden Voyage, March 31-April 7, 2012; February 8th-15th, 2014
Disney Wonder, Jan. 28-Feb. 2, 2013
EBPC, Disney Wonder, Sept. 12th-26th, 2014 (36th anniversary celebration)
Futurist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #75
Chiasgirl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 85

I just wanted to post a friendly reminder to let DCL know in advance that you are GF. This way they have an idea of how much GF food to stock on a cruise. When we sailed Alaska on the May 27th cruise, they ran out of several GF options mid-cruise. My son was very disappointed when they no longer had waffles, pizza and chicken fingers. (The pancakes were not very good; I'm not surprised they had those still available on the last day!).
Fortunately, they did have lots of kinnikinnick donuts on board!
Chiasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: