Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
wdwmaw
planin' next trip
 
wdwmaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: georgetown, ky
Posts: 2,422

Allegiant ?'s

Allegiant Air ~ if the times for a flight changes will they change your flight for no fee (without travel insurance they offer). Also anyone use one of the Town Car services? Which do you like and from landing what kind of timing are we looking at to resort, POP probably.

Haven't flown them since they moved to SFB from MCO. Looking at them again since Airtrain left our market, 10 minutes from our house, and boy have they changed a bunch with all their fees but still paying for everything they offer and transfers it is still half of what SWA offers and SWA is an hour from us. Just want to know some policy before we get into this.
__________________
dh meds dsgdd



24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The People's Republic of Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 11,579

Allegiant often runs at most one flight per day---and won't necessarily even fly every day of the week---so if they change their schedule, you are more or less stuck.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 45,444

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmaw View Post
Allegiant Air ~ if the times for a flight changes will they change your flight for no fee (without travel insurance they offer). Also anyone use one of the Town Car services? Which do you like and from landing what kind of timing are we looking at to resort, POP probably.

Haven't flown them since they moved to SFB from MCO. Looking at them again since Airtrain left our market, 10 minutes from our house, and boy have they changed a bunch with all their fees but still paying for everything they offer and transfers it is still half of what SWA offers and SWA is an hour from us. Just want to know some policy before we get into this.
Since they don't fly daily from most markets, they have been known to change the DATE of your flight. For example, from Sunday to Monday. They should allow you to cancel if that's the case.
__________________
DebbieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
wdwmaw
planin' next trip
 
wdwmaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: georgetown, ky
Posts: 2,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Allegiant often runs at most one flight per day---and won't necessarily even fly every day of the week---so if they change their schedule, you are more or less stuck.
But is it possible? From here they have a flight at 5pm home and on another day they may have a 5 am flight and are bad to switch days. If they change the time to a really early morning on us will they without fee let us change to the day after or day bofore. Would really hate to leave the resort at 3 am. From here they do fly at least 6 of the 7 days. Use to you could switch and even get credit for price drop.
__________________
dh meds dsgdd



24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
halld6479
DIS Veteran
 
halld6479's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Galesburg IL
Posts: 585

over half the time they are delayed

I fly them at least every two months and mostly always delayed a couple hours, I can count on one hand how many times my flight has left online. Last month they announced an hour from departing plane was going to be late by 5 hours and won't explain then at 4 hours out there announce a weather issue and the plane might not even land at the original airport but they would fly us somewhere in FL and then wait for weather to clear but they would tell us before we boarded where we would land as we loaded we were told probably going to original location but won"t know till we get closer, when we landed no one at that end understood what the whole problem had been cause their weather had been great all day they said. SO be flexible with this airline.
__________________
offsite 1990 & 04, POP spring break 05, OKW May 06, SSR June 06, SSR June 07 grand daughters trip
SSR Dec 07- family gathering,SSR Family Oct 09 party
SSR son & grandsons Oct 2011
treehouses Feb 2012 daughter, grand daughter, great grand daughter, Aug 2013 Wilderness Lodge
Oct. 2013 Animal Kindgon Lodge, Pop Century
halld6479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
wdwmaw
planin' next trip
 
wdwmaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: georgetown, ky
Posts: 2,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Since they don't fly daily from most markets, they have been known to change the DATE of your flight. For example, from Sunday to Monday. They should allow you to cancel if that's the case.
Thank you, they use to be that way and thought it quicker to just ask here rather than navigate the site for info. We flew SWA this past trip (DEC) and just hated it. We got good rate ($138 each way non stop) but SDF is over an hour from our house, so we had parking fees. Airtran pulled out of LEX (10-15 minutes from our house) last year and we really missed the smaller airport. Our kids are bigger now so we won't have seat fees we use to feel like we had to have and really looking into shipping our luggage through UPS. With the fees of transfer or rental car, shipping luggage both ways, Allegiant is still more than half the price. Allegiant is the only non stop option for us at LEX.
__________________
dh meds dsgdd



24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
wdwmaw
planin' next trip
 
wdwmaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: georgetown, ky
Posts: 2,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by halld6479 View Post
I fly them at least every two months and mostly always delayed a couple hours, I can count on one hand how many times my flight has left online. Last month they announced an hour from departing plane was going to be late by 5 hours and won't explain then at 4 hours out there announce a weather issue and the plane might not even land at the original airport but they would fly us somewhere in FL and then wait for weather to clear but they would tell us before we boarded where we would land as we loaded we were told probably going to original location but won"t know till we get closer, when we landed no one at that end understood what the whole problem had been cause their weather had been great all day they said. SO be flexible with this airline.
Thanks we always had good luck with them in the past just a few minutes here or there. Gotta tell ya our return flight on SWA took us 11 hours to get home on a 2 hour flight. We live 12 hours from Disney so DH kept saying we could have drove and beat the plane, (wasn't funny at the time)
__________________
dh meds dsgdd



24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?
 
disneymarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,616

Glad I didn't have that issue. Left on time and flights landed early. My complaint was he luggage fees for carry on, and not even a free beverage. Out of Allentown pa and Scranton Pa. The town car fee was more the a rental so I just rented ended up using it to the parks. And Walmart.
__________________
disneymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran
 
KrazeeK120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 1,070

I just flew Allegiant to and then back home from Disney this past week.

I have to say, I have zero complaints. Our flight to Orlando left on time and we were delayed 30 minutes coming home (not a big deal to me).

They do charge for snacks and carry ons, but that's so they can keep the fares low. I did not take a carry on or care for a snack during the flight, so I like that they keep the fares down and then everything else is customizable from there. Why pay for something you're not going to use?

We rented a car from the airport in Sanford, which was SUPER easy.

I've flown to MCO twice and drove from home to WDW once and I have to say, flying Allegiant to Sanford and renting a car from there was the easiest traveling experience I've had when going to Disney.
__________________
Me DH
'95 Offsite, '07 POFQ (Disneymoon!), '09 YC, '12 CR, '13 Pop, '14 BWI
KrazeeK120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
DonnaL
DIS Veteran
 
DonnaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE PA
Posts: 2,174

We just used Allegiant from AVP (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre) mid December....we live literally 5 minutes from airport. We left on time at 11:00 a.m....arrived on time at Sanford at 1:30 p.m. We each had a carryon...I got a great deal on fare.....I believe it was $53 each plus the carryon, which was $15 (I think) if purchased online before reaching the airport check-in counter. We did rent a car at Sanford, which is something we haven't done for several years. We actually used a route from the airport which took us across a little north of Orlando, into Ocoee/Winter Garden and then just drove down Winter Garden/ Vineland Road to get on property....it may have been 10 minutes longer than using I-4 or 417, but, we stopped at the Publix in Windemere on 535 on the way in so it worked for us. We had no problems with Allegiant leaving from our airport.....very clean plane, nice flight crew, etc. However, for our return flight we chose not to use them since the return flight from Sanford was at 7:30 a.m. and since we were only there for a long weekend (Thurs to Sun) we didn't want to leave that early morning, so, flew Frontier (which was also about $80 pp) from MCO to ABE (Lehigh Valley)late afternoon and just rented a car there for the drive home (one hour) our cost for that rental was about the same as if we had parked at the airport for four days.
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
Rpasko
Earning My Ears
 
Rpasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaL
We just used Allegiant from AVP (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre) mid December....we live literally 5 minutes from airport. We left on time at 11:00 a.m....arrived on time at Sanford at 1:30 p.m. We each had a carryon...I got a great deal on fare.....I believe it was $53 each plus the carryon, which was $15 (I think) if purchased online before reaching the airport check-in counter. We did rent a car at Sanford, which is something we haven't done for several years. We actually used a route from the airport which took us across a little north of Orlando, into Ocoee/Winter Garden and then just drove down Winter Garden/ Vineland Road to get on property....it may have been 10 minutes longer than using I-4 or 417, but, we stopped at the Publix in Windemere on 535 on the way in so it worked for us. We had no problems with Allegiant leaving from our airport.....very clean plane, nice flight crew, etc. However, for our return flight we chose not to use them since the return flight from Sanford was at 7:30 a.m. and since we were only there for a long weekend (Thurs to Sun) we didn't want to leave that early morning, so, flew Frontier (which was also about $80 pp) from MCO to ABE (Lehigh Valley)late afternoon and just rented a car there for the drive home (one hour) our cost for that rental was about the same as if we had parked at the airport for four days.
We also live close to AVP. Was debating trying Allegiant in November. We've flown JetBlue out of Newburgh NY last time. Easy drive and small airport as well.
Rpasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
utkscvol1
DIS Veteran
 
utkscvol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 944

We just flew allegiant this past weekend. We were delayed almost 3 hours due to an earlier flight being diverted due to low visibility. Flight back was on time. Took us about 35 min drive time from Sanford to pop. We will def fly them again. If you book at the ticket counter you don't get charged the $80 convince fee. We were very pleased for the price.
__________________
utkscvol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran
 
KrazeeK120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkscvol1 View Post
We just flew allegiant this past weekend. We were delayed almost 3 hours due to an earlier flight being diverted due to low visibility. Flight back was on time. Took us about 35 min drive time from Sanford to pop. We will def fly them again. If you book at the ticket counter you don't get charged the $80 convince fee. We were very pleased for the price.
Did you stay at Pop Century this weekend? I stayed there! Had a nice time.
__________________
Me DH
'95 Offsite, '07 POFQ (Disneymoon!), '09 YC, '12 CR, '13 Pop, '14 BWI
KrazeeK120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
utkscvol1
DIS Veteran
 
utkscvol1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeK120

Did you stay at Pop Century this weekend? I stayed there! Had a nice time.
Yes we did unfortunately their was a huge foreign tour group in our building that found it appropriate to knock on the doors and windows about 11 Friday night and were very loud all weekend
__________________
utkscvol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran
 
KrazeeK120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkscvol1 View Post
Yes we did unfortunately their was a huge foreign tour group in our building that found it appropriate to knock on the doors and windows about 11 Friday night and were very loud all weekend
Oh no! Which building were you in? I was in the 50's section, building 2 - very end of the resort. Seemed pretty quiet.
__________________
Me DH
'95 Offsite, '07 POFQ (Disneymoon!), '09 YC, '12 CR, '13 Pop, '14 BWI
KrazeeK120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.