Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Good to know. Oy. I had read they were pretty accommodating when it was parents and minor children...no?
There was a point where we had a member who was an only child and multiple children who could not get connecting rooms. Many of those who complain here are parents and kids. There are only so many connecting rooms and Disney resorts are full of parents and kids. It would be impossible to guarantee all of them a connecting set of rooms.

They do their best, but it is always a possibility that you will not get connecting rooms. As such, you should weigh that into your decision.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 01-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
There was a point where we had a member who was an only child and multiple children who could not get connecting rooms. Many of those who complain here are parents and kids. There are only so many connecting rooms and Disney resorts are full of parents and kids. It would be impossible to guarantee all of them a connecting set of rooms.

They do their best, but it is always a possibility that you will not get connecting rooms. As such, you should weigh that into your decision.
TY....very helpful!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
TY....very helpful!
No problem at all!

Also, I looked up maps of the resorts that showed the pools and the smoking areas. It looks like most have a smoking area close to the pool. My guess is the people complaining about those smoking "at the pool" were near these smoking areas and didn't know it. Thus, "people were smoking at the pool".

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Those kids look familiar

My mother is coming with us this time and she's a smoker and I'm dreading it! She is a very responsible smoker, but it's a PITA looking for smoking area's for her and waiting etc..... I wish she would quit before we go in September.

The Disney medic's are AMAZING. They saved my df's life two years ago. She is was a healthy 38 mother of 3. While they were at Animal Kingdom she wasn't feeling right and collapsed. The medic felt there was something seriously wrong and called for life flight for her, and that quick thinking saved her life. She suffered and Aortic Aneurysm, which is rare and and highly fatal. If it wasn't for the quick thinking of the medic's she wouldn't have survived
Old 01-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

Hello from another mom with an asthmatic kiddo who has to carry nebs, liquid ampules, and inhalers on all our trips. In fact, I have a designated bag just for medical supplies when flying since they don't count it toward the carry-on limit.

Minnie Mum's suggestion to bring the nebulizer and liquid ampules to the park then store them in a locker was what I would suggest, too (of course keeping your inhalers with you, but you know that).

If you need to do a neb treatment in the parks or just need to get in the A/C, there are nice family rest areas in every park that play Disney cartoons to keep the other kids occupied. It's a nice place to have a snack, rest, and cool off. And if you needed to do a neb treatment, I'm sure you could.

ETA: Misting fans are great to keep a little cooler in the heat. And you can rent a stroller in each park if your kiddo finds it difficult to walk around in the heat all day.

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans
Right now I'm trying to stay away from the Art of Animation and other value resorts. They seem to be the furthest from the parks and have the most unreliable bus service over all. If we need to beat a hasty retreat to an airconditioned room for a neb treatment, I don't want to have to wait half an hour for a bus, if that makes sense.
It's just not true that the values have unreliable bus service. I've stayed in every level if resort and have not been able to discern any difference in bus service.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #22
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardimples View Post
It's just not true that the values have unreliable bus service. I've stayed in every level if resort and have not been able to discern any difference in bus service.
I'll agree. The other nice thing about Pop Century in particular is that it has it's own dedicated bus, and only one stop so it is actually *quicker* than some of the other buses which share between two resorts, or for a resort which has multiple internal stops

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #23
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

I would bring extra cash for a cab if you need to get back to any resort extra quick. The values have great bus service most if the time and I would not count the new AOA out. A family suite may be perfect for your family and it is a brand new resort. Most of the smoking sections are down by the lake and NOT near the pools.

One more thing a taxi ride on property anywhere is usually less than $25 and can be way less depending on where you are.

My husband smokes and I do not and I just looked up the smoking areas before we left. You could do it to avoid them...I do it to tell him where to go....lol!
2001 - Disney Cruise (Eastern)
2003 - Disney Cruise (Western)
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #24
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Thank you everyone...I really should just have come here first rather than reading reviews on trip advisor

Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #25
smidgy
dimples

you should check out the DSA thread (a stickey near the top of the resorts board) you will probably want to check out where the DSAs are at the parks, too. so you can avoid them. you can also see where they are on the park maps you pick up on your way into each park.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #26
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Right now I'm trying to stay away from the Art of Animation and other value resorts. They seem to be the furthest from the parks and have the most unreliable bus service over all. If we need to beat a hasty retreat to an airconditioned room for a neb treatment, I don't want to have to wait half an hour for a bus, if that makes sense.
While I haven't stayed at Arts of Animation, I have stayed at all three All Stars and Pop Century - the latter most of the time. I have waited twenty minutes for a bus ONCE in about 10 trips to those resorts. And that bus was just because one had just pulled out in the morning. Most of the time, it's ten minutes or less. If that.

If your child has an attack while in a park, make sure you know where the First Aid Stations are and head there immediately. Don't try and get yourself back to your resort on your own. Grab a Cast Member and tell them you have a medical emergency. They will get you the help you need right away.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #27
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

First aid doesn't have nebulizers you can use. They will store yours, and give you a place to use it.

Also, one advantage that Pop/AoA have in terms of bus service - the bus stops at parks tend to be adjacent to each other, but they don't have combined bus service. We would occasionally take an AoA bus if it came first, then walk to Pop, because our room was near the bridge.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #28
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree! I've stayed at all levels as well and have found that the bus service you get solely depends on your luck or bus "mojo" that day/ trip then it does on what level you are staying. I would never base my decision on where to stay based on what somebody says their bus service was on their trip as yours will probably be completely different.

As someone whose daughter ended up visiting the ER (not at WDW) because of her asthma, I would definitely bring the neb with you.
If you want more info. about the best way to go about it, you may want to ask over at the disABIILITIES board.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #29
smidgy
dimples

same thing with ALl stars, Music is in the middle. If you are staying at sports or movies, you can catch a Music bus if it comes first. or vice versa.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #30
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Agree...I think out of as many stays that we have stayed, POR had the worst busing of ANY. Now we have only been there once, so dont know if its the norm. But can say the values had fine busing for us, and we have stayed in them over 15X. Waited for a HS bus at POR for almost an hour in April (not easter week either).
On another note, the one thing I notice every trip is the CM's DO NOT enforce smoking areas. You will have to complain for them to do anything. We just get a map and circle the smoking areas so we are aware. Now we have memorized where they are and avoid them. The most annoying is when they smoke as they are walking, you will pass 3 CM's who say nothing.

2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: