Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
WDWDeb
Cue the DCL horn!

Have read advice...need some more answers about Dolphin Swim - Blue Lagoon

I have read prior threads about the Dolphin Swim (deep water) at Blue Lagoon Nassau while trying to decide whether to do the excursion at Altantis or Blue Lagoon. We want to do the swim at Blue Lagoon because it sounds like the best for multiple reasons including the foot push is neat, it sounds there is a little more interaction with the dolphins versus at Atlantis, etc. We have a few more questions if anyone can help out:

- We are kinda paranoid about missing the ship. Silly, huh?!?..but we do. So, how easy is it to get back to the ferry after the excursion to get back to the ship? Do you have plenty of time to order pics/videos and shop a bit or are you rushed? Is the departure point for the ferry easy to find? We would be booking it through DCL so any info about how transportation works to and back would be helpful.

- My parents will be with us and want to observe. Is the observation area covered and/or offers any shade...and are there seats?

- do you wear a wet suit or is it just a life jacket?

Any other helpful advice to make the experience more enjoyable would be appreciated!!
WDWDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
ssjones
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWDeb View Post
I have read prior threads about the Dolphin Swim (deep water) at Blue Lagoon Nassau while trying to decide whether to do the excursion at Altantis or Blue Lagoon. We want to do the swim at Blue Lagoon because it sounds like the best for multiple reasons including the foot push is neat, it sounds there is a little more interaction with the dolphins versus at Atlantis, etc. We have a few more questions if anyone can help out:

- We are kinda paranoid about missing the ship. Silly, huh?!?..but we do. So, how easy is it to get back to the ferry after the excursion to get back to the ship? Do you have plenty of time to order pics/videos and shop a bit or are you rushed? Is the departure point for the ferry easy to find? We would be booking it through DCL so any info about how transportation works to and back would be helpful.

- My parents will be with us and want to observe. Is the observation area covered and/or offers any shade...and are there seats?

- do you wear a wet suit or is it just a life jacket?

Any other helpful advice to make the experience more enjoyable would be appreciated!!
We booked through DCL and did the 1245 excursion. If done with DCL the ship won't leave you. With that said there is plenty of time to browse around as well.

Observation deck is covered, but I never saw the observers sit, think there was some benches.

We wore life jackets (required). Wet suits were available.

We did Blue Lagoon because my children were younger and Altlantis water area was not a draw due to the height requirements for most of the slides.

Disney takes you to the departure point which is about a 5minute walk.

Excellent Port Adventure. Would recomend to anyone.

------------------------------------
Disney Dream May 2012 - Nassau
ssjones is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
WDWDeb
Cue the DCL horn!

Thanks for the information!

It certainly isn't a cheap excursion, but we have always wanted to swim with the dolphins, and this looks like a good one.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
scrapbookjulie
Mouseketeer

If you scroll through my trip report from last year, it answers several of your questions! In one of my pics, you can see the ferry and how it's pulled up right to the pier that takes you to the dolphin swim. In the other pic, you can see blue awnings in the water. Those are dolphin swim/encounter areas. I think the observer areas were the little wooden gazebos you can see in the pictures. Not 100% positive on that, though.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2691745
scrapbookjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
WDWDeb
Cue the DCL horn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookjulie View Post
If you scroll through my trip report from last year, it answers several of your questions! In one of my pics, you can see the ferry and how it's pulled up right to the pier that takes you to the dolphin swim. In the other pic, you can see blue awnings in the water. Those are dolphin swim/encounter areas. I think the observer areas were the little wooden gazebos you can see in the pictures. Not 100% positive on that, though.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2691745
I just finished reading your report. Thank you!!!! The pictures were great and helpful and the detail answered my questions and confirmed what I had read...that it is a great excursion!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Can observers

take pictures? I think I read somewhere (Discovery Cove maybe?) that you need to buy their pix..
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
take pictures? I think I read somewhere (Discovery Cove maybe?) that you need to buy their pix..
I went as an observer and got lots of great photos. We did end up buying a couple of the photos that Blue Lagoon's photographer took as well, though. They were very good and not outrageously priced. The observation deck is behind the two swim areas, so I had to move out to the side and crouch down to get a good angle. BL's photos were close-up and straight on, which was nice. Here is an example of the kind of photos I was able to get.

We were there in February 2012. The water was pretty chilly, so everyone wore wet suits.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: