Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

WWYD - theme park before or after cruise??

My sons (7 & 4) are lego obsessed and have been asking to go to Legoland since they found coupons in their Lego Club magazine for a free child's ticket (yes, this mama uses LOTS of coupons and my children are used to hearing 'you can't have X snack because there's no sale/coupon for it ). We've since gotten another free child's coupon from a friend, so it would make admission for our family fairly reasonable with the 2 children getting in free.

We're trying to decide if we should do the park before or after our cruise. We'll be driving down to Miami from SC for the cruise, so transportation/flights aren't an issue.

If we go before:
PLUSES: We'll only need a hotel for a total of 2 nights (1 night in Orlando before Legoland and 1 night in Miami before cruise) and we'll go back home the day we disembark, making the trip Sat - Sat total. This will give my husband a full day at home before returning to work.
NEGATIVES: it will be a LONG 9-10 hour ride home following the cruise. The rides home are always the worst.

If we go after:
PLUSES: It will give us something to look forward to when we disembark and will break up the ride home somewhat.
NEGATIVES: It will make the trip longer (Sun - following Mon) since we'll drive to Orlando on Sat after we disembark, go to Legoland Sunday, and then drive home Monday. My husband will miss an extra day of work and won't have the full day at home to 'recover' before returning to work Tuesday. It will also cause us to require a hotel for an extra night (1 in Miami before cruise and 2 in Orlando before/after Legoland).

It's possible, if we do the park first that we'll end up staying another night in Miami following the cruise since some good friends are cruising with us and aren't flying out until Sunday, but we haven't decided about that yet, so that makes the difference in hotel costs a non-issue. But we're having a really hard time deciding which route to take. I REALLY like the idea of doing the park after the cruise, but not sure it's worth it, given the toll it will take on DH as far as missing another day of work & not having a rest day. He says he's fine with either....but you know men.

Any suggestions?
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
nosnits
Earning My Ears

We are thinking about adding a day or two at WDW and are going to go before the cruise if we do. We are movers and shakers and need to force ourselves to slow down. We know once we hit the ground in the parks we will keep going until our feet fall off. Our thinking is that the cruise will be an amazing rest after running ourselves ragged in the parks.
nosnits is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
sambycat
DIS Veteran

I vote for anything that gives me a day at home before I gave to go to work, especially after running and driving and having all that vacation fun!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
BrennaM
Mouseketeer

Through my own personal experience I would recommend doing the parks before your cruise. They are a blast and I love them, but you will always fall into the Go Go Go trap and most often run yourself ragged. So why not do that when you are fresh on your trip and still willing to go through the odd bits of aggravation here and there.

When you are done the parks you hop onto the ship and all those stressful park days just melt away so you get to go home feeling really satisfied with your trip. At least this is my own personal opinion.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
~Walt Disney

2004 - Port Orleans - French Quarter | 2005 - Beach Club Resort | 2008 - Grand Gathering @ Animal Kingdom Villas | 2010 - Disney Cruise - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise | 2012 - Disney Land & Sea - Animal Kingdom Villas & 5 day Bahama Cruise | 2012 - Disney Cruise - 7 Night Alaskan Cruise | 2013 - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise | Summer 2014 - Adventures By Disney - Ireland | Winter 2014 - Family New Years @ Animal Kingdom Villas | Summer 2015 - Disney Cruise - 12 Night Northern Europe Cruise
BrennaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
mommy2tati
DIS Veteran

From prior experience I would go before your cruise. We're doing a week at WDW before our fantasy cruise this summer. We did the parks after our cruise in 2011 and we were exhausted when we got home. I'd rather do the running around at the parks before then unwind on the cruise. So when I get home I'll be ready to tackle the whole back to school stuff.

April 2009 - Disney Wonder
August 2011 - Disney Dream
February 2012 - Disney Dream
August 2012 - Disney Magic
August 2013 - Disney Fantasy Eastern
mommy2tati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Legoland is a bit more relaxing ( not as go go go) as WDW. I love Legoland! So before or after is good, but go to Legoland!

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

We like going to a theme park before a cruise.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
lundve
DIS Veteran

We got off the ship last January at 8:00AM and went to Lego land after our cruise. We got there very soon after it opened. We were able to everything the kids wanted to do in in the one day and still drive to just over the line to SC to spend the night on the way home. It was super easy to do as it is just not that big as a WDW park and the time of year we went was not busy at all.

lundve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Minnie Annie
Minnie Annie

We went before our 4 day Dream cruise in 2011 and it was fine, but WOW - what a letdown when we headed to the airport! For that reason, we are doing the Fantasy this June and have a week at WDW planned AFTER the cruise. It will still be a letdown to head home, but wanted a buffer between the cruise and heading home.

2013 Summer Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruise, Bay Lake Tower/Beach Club Villas 2013 Easter Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo Concierge
2012 Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas - Food and Wine Festival
2011 Bay Lake Tower/Beach Club Villas - Food and Wine Festival
2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo Concierge, Disney Dream Cruise
2010 Bay Lake Tower/Beach Club Villas/Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani
2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
2007 Beach Club Villas
2006 Beach Club Villas
1997 Boardwalk Villas
Minnie Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Dani85Bri06
Earning My Ears

We did a 5 night on the dream and then 6 days at the parks last January! If I did it again we would do the parks first and then relax on the cruise! We were so exhausted by the end of the trip and I don't think it would have been as tiring doing the parks first then the cruise!!
Dani85Bri06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We go before the cruise if at all. Went after with friends one time and all of us were ragged. Tried to go after the EBPC, but the kids both fell asleep on the way to Orlando after the extended disembarkation. We ended up checking into our hotel early and taking naps.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Just another vote for beforehand.

We've done both. Parks before was great. Parks afterwards was exhausting. And it seemed such a shame because after the cruise we were so relaxed and refreshed!

Saying that, legoland will be more relaxing than the Orlando Parks I imagine.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

I would do before hand. I always get land motion when we are done cruising and there is no way I could enjoy any rides.

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
magrudersmakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrudersmakes3 View Post
I would do before hand. I always get land motion when we are done cruising and there is no way I could enjoy any rides.
Yes! great point! I forgot about that! Rides were not fun that first day back! Felt very woozy!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
NWmom
DIS Veteran

We had a few days before and a few days after our cruise.

I vote for pre-cruise in the parks.

Food is areason. After eating the delicious food on ship, I noticed a quality difference off the ship that I had not noticed before.

Cleanliness is another reason. after ther ship being so pristinely clean, I really noticed the trash in the parks.

People, everyone on board is so patient and lines that exist are pleasant. In the parks, people were cranky compared to the ship. Yet they were fine before the cruise.

Now for why we had days post cruise at the park- I get land sickness when we disembark and it was to allow some time before driving home.

We had fun on both ends, just that next time we will do the parks pre-cruise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: