Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
L-Harper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan View Post
I am soooo envious of you. We are in Northeast PA and I absolutely hate, hate, hate the cold. We always talk of moving to Florida but my husband has a good job so we have no choice but to stay. I guess I'll have to be happy with our yearly trips for now.

Good luck with your move. I hope you find the perfect home.
This move of ours certainly hasn't come easy. My DH was an electrical engineer for 10 years. In November 2011 we decided for him to quit his job for us to start our own business. It's been a very long rough year, but we're finally just pushing through and moving to Florida since we know that he can get more work done year-around with the warmer weather. Plus, we absolutely LOVE Florida. I'm so proud of him for putting his dreams before the paycheck. We definitely have a much different lifestyle now and are "penny-pinching" until our businesses pick up more. It's worth it though to see how much happier he is.

Please vote for my photo in the DIS photo contest! {HERE}
L-Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

follow your dreams, that is awesome!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #18
tenaseewalker
Mouseketeer

Oh you live in Lansing. We live 20 minutes south of Lansing, just outside of Leslie. Sorry yes Clermont/Leesburg area.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

I chose Tampa We LOVE it. 72 miles to WDW (1 hr; we were there today). 45 min-1 hour to the amazing Gulf beaches. 2 hours to Port Canaveral to get on those Disney cruises. Our zip is 33647 - suburb is called New Tampa if you want to look it up. We are NE of downtown. Our daughter's elementary school was ranked in the top 10% in the WHOLE STATE. Average age of inhabitants is 42. We moved from Ohio in 2007. If I had it to do over again, I would and would not change anything!!! Best decision of my entire life!!

ETA: FL schools are rated by grades A-F. Don't settle!

AND, we are closer to the coast & it's no where near as hot as it is central state because of our awesome sea breeze!!!!!!

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder

Last edited by Silverfox97; 01-23-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
Silverfox97

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen
What I usually suggest for people moving to New York is to rent/sublet for a few months and explore neighborhoods. I'm not sure that's applicable to Central Florida, but it might be an idea.
We rented for the first 2 years and then bought (good thing we waited - housing market hit hard & we bought a super deal!). We ended up buying a couple of neighborhoods over from where we rented. We really love the area

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
RalphyBoy
Something was done with the parking lot, I heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
I'm so jealous! Wish you the best! We live in Holland MI and love it, but I wish we lived in Florida more! Especially right now - blizzard!!! Only good part is the kids will probably have a snow day tomorrow and I love having them home! Best wishes!
We live right next door to DisneyDoc5 in Zeeland, MI and I have to agree. It's days like these I wish we lived in Florida too! We have retired friends who have the best of both worlds - they spend November - April in Florida, and May - October in Michigan. In Florida they live in Davenport and work part time at Disney. I don't know a lot about Davenport, but they seem to like it.
RalphyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
ElCapitanAmerica
Earning My Ears

We live in "New" Tampa, right off I-75 so it's pretty quick and a bit over an hour to get to Disney. The nice thing about the Tampa area is you get a mix of a bigger city with areas that don't feel like one.

However, I lived and still work (from home and travel) in the Melbourne, FL area. Melbourne is very nice, and a lot of my co-workers live in Viera (part of Brevard County). You'll be a bit closer to Disney (but not by much) but you have quick access to the beach and Cape Canaveral.

Also, now it's a great time to buy homes, you can get some great deals!

Really nice that you have the flexibility and the whole family is ready to move. I almost moved out of FL to Georgia last year, and to be honest I'm not willing to leave FL anytime soon. Really enjoying our Disney FL annual pass too :-)
ElCapitanAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #23
ElCapitanAmerica
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
Our zip is 33647 - suburb is called New Tampa if you want to look it up. We are NE of downtown. Our daughter's elementary school was ranked in the top 10% in the WHOLE STATE.
Pride Elementary? I think we're neighbors :-)
ElCapitanAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #24
Silverfox97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitanAmerica

Pride Elementary? I think we're neighbors :-)
Yep!!! I love Pride!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #25
L-Harper
DIS Veteran

Thank you all SO much for your replies.

Anyone know anything about Palm Coast? It's not within an hour to WDW, but it's right on the beach and rent prices are INSANELY cheap for amazing houses.

Please vote for my photo in the DIS photo contest! {HERE}
L-Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #26
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
I'm so jealous! Wish you the best! We live in Holland MI and love it, but I wish we lived in Florida more! Especially right now - blizzard!!! Only good part is the kids will probably have a snow day tomorrow and I love having them home! Best wishes!
We go up to my inlaws cottage in Saugatuck in the summer. And we keep our boat there. Last year we actually went into Lake Macatawa, because the water in Saugatuck is SOOO LOW ...I really enjoyed Lake Macatawa, but also noticed it was low as well. So I do hope for the sake of the water being raised there is some snow so the lake could freeze...Has it been snowing a lot up by you?

Sorry for hijacking this thread and going off course....
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #27
tenaseewalker
Mouseketeer

It's snowing north of Lansing right now. We got about an inch so far and it's 10 degrees which is warmer then it was 2 days ago at this time (it was 4 below zero). I'm dreaming of the day that I get to leave all the snow, cold and gray skies behind me.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyBoy View Post
We live right next door to DisneyDoc5 in Zeeland, MI and I have to agree. It's days like these I wish we lived in Florida too! We have retired friends who have the best of both worlds - they spend November - April in Florida, and May - October in Michigan. In Florida they live in Davenport and work part time at Disney. I don't know a lot about Davenport, but they seem to like it.
Hi Neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmouse View Post
We go up to my inlaws cottage in Saugatuck in the summer. And we keep our boat there. Last year we actually went into Lake Macatawa, because the water in Saugatuck is SOOO LOW ...I really enjoyed Lake Macatawa, but also noticed it was low as well. So I do hope for the sake of the water being raised there is some snow so the lake could freeze...Has it been snowing a lot up by you?

Sorry for hijacking this thread and going off course....
Water is LOW everywhere - hoping our slip at our marina in spring is deep enough for our boat! We live on Lake Mac - love West MI with all my heart - just would like a palm tree in my yard and Disney within driving distance!!!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: