Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
L-Harper
DIS Veteran

We're moving to Florida! Help picking location!!!

I know this is a very strange thread. I figured I would post it here since everyone on the podcast lives in Florida and also that some of you must live around Disney. I have no idea where else I could post this online or who else to ask. We have to do all of our research online because there will be no way we'll be able to get to Florida before we actually drive down for our move. We're from Michigan.

My family of 5 (me, my husband, our niece-16, and our two sons-3&5) is moving to Florida in a few months and need help picking a place to move! DH and I have online businesses, so we can move anywhere we want. We're choosing Florida because we absolutely love Disney World, tropical weather, and the ocean. We've lived in Michigan all of our lives and are beyond sick of cold and snow.

Here are our three absolute musts:
-Must be close to Disney, hopefully under an hours drive.
-Great schools for our kids.
-Great sense of community with low crime.

Any advice, tips, opinions?

Please vote for my photo in the DIS photo contest! {HERE}

Last edited by L-Harper; 01-19-2013 at 10:31 PM.
L-Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
DLB
DIS Veteran

Have you thought about Oviedo?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
lthiesfeld07
Mouseketeer

When I looked into moving ( I still am!) I really liked the Lake Mary area. Schools are in Seminole County, which is a good school district. Winter Springs is nice too! All on the north side or Orlando.
1997- Dixie Landings * 2002- ASMo * Aug 2011- Off-site Jan 2012- CBR * April 2012- OKW *June 2012- ASMu *September 2012- Pop/Kidani *March 2013- ASMu/Kidani *July 2013 AEP- CSR/Contemporary *October 2013- ASMu/Contemporary *December 2013- POR June 2014 Engagement Trip- AKL-Jambo

lthiesfeld07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Val & I have been planning our move to the Orlando area. In fact, we will be seeing a realtor in two weeks.

Our criteria are a bit different than yours since we are retired. The quality of the school district isn't important to us. We decided we want to live about 30 minutes from Disney (we may want to work there part time) but we don't want to live in an area heavily impacted by the tourist trade.

We've spent some time driving around the different neighborhoods, talking to the locals and checking the on-line real estate listings to get an idea of prices. It looks like we are going to concentrate our search in the Clermont area but are still open to other options.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
L-Harper
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your responses! It's such a hard decision to just pick a place. We have a few months though, so I feel in that time we'll make a good decision.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

What I usually suggest for people moving to New York is to rent/sublet for a few months and explore neighborhoods. I'm not sure that's applicable to Central Florida, but it might be an idea.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

I moved here almost 3 years ago from the northeast and it is wonderful. We live in an area called Viera which is 15 min from Cocoa Beach and about 50 min from Disney. We love being near the beach and a short drive from Disney. Closer to Disney but not in Orlando was Lake Nona and Celebration. We went with Viera. Do some research it is all in what you want but our area has amazing schools and is a real family based small community. Have fun!!

Just wanted to add the zip code is 32940 and go on school digger and check out Manatee Elementary along with Quest or Suntree but Manatee is by far the best IMO. Your neice would be in Viera High

Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
L-Harper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWISHFORDISNEY View Post
I moved here almost 3 years ago from the northeast and it is wonderful. We live in an area called Viera which is 15 min from Cocoa Beach and about 50 min from Disney. We love being near the beach and a short drive from Disney. Closer to Disney but not in Orlando was Lake Nona and Celebration. We went with Viera. Do some research it is all in what you want but our area has amazing schools and is a real family based small community. Have fun!!

Just wanted to add the zip code is 32940 and go on school digger and check out Manatee Elementary along with Quest or Suntree but Manatee is by far the best IMO. Your neice would be in Viera High
Thank you! We will definitely be adding that to our list of areas to check out. It really is fun looking at all of these new cities. We absolutely LOVE our current town, it's just too bad that it's in Michigan. Has a very small town feel, but still close to a city, and has great schools.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

I'm so jealous! Wish you the best! We live in Holland MI and love it, but I wish we lived in Florida more! Especially right now - blizzard!!! Only good part is the kids will probably have a snow day tomorrow and I love having them home! Best wishes!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
schoen
DIS Veteran

Where do you live in Michigan?
schoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
tenaseewalker
Mouseketeer

We are planning our moving within the next year and we're looking toward the Clemont area.. We are from Michigan too.. After todays snow and freezing temps, I could leave today and never look back. What part of Michigan are you from?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoen View Post
We are in Holland, fellow Spartan, but I think you were asking the OP.
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
L-Harper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
I'm so jealous! Wish you the best! We live in Holland MI and love it, but I wish we lived in Florida more! Especially right now - blizzard!!! Only good part is the kids will probably have a snow day tomorrow and I love having them home! Best wishes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaseewalker View Post
We are planning our moving within the next year and we're looking toward the Clemont area.. We are from Michigan too.. After todays snow and freezing temps, I could leave today and never look back. What part of Michigan are you from?
We are just west of Lansing. Yes, it's FREEZING here today! I'm sad that we are waiting until our kids are done with this school year before we move. My husband is a woodworker, so working out in his non-heated garage is making it hard on him. Hence why we want to move to Florida. He is totally fine working in 100 degree heat, he just hates the cold.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
L-Harper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaseewalker View Post
Is this Clermont area by chance? Clemont isn't coming up when I Google.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Flyerfan
Hockey lovin' OLTL addict with a deep desire for Disney

I am soooo envious of you. We are in Northeast PA and I absolutely hate, hate, hate the cold. We always talk of moving to Florida but my husband has a good job so we have no choice but to stay. I guess I'll have to be happy with our yearly trips for now.

Good luck with your move. I hope you find the perfect home.
Oct1989 Off site...Jan 1996 Dixie Landings...Jan 2006 POR....Dec 2006 POFQ...January 2008 SSR...Nov '08 OKW/Swan/SSR...Sept '09 BWV/YC....Nov '09 AKV/ SSR....July '10 SSR...Oct '10 HHI...Nov '11 SSR/BLT....May 2013 POR

Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: