Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
pansmermaidzlagoon
Mickey asks that you not advise screwing things into his head

surreptitiously filmed movie debuts at Sundance

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...8,0,4296.story

guy spends 3 years secretly filming at DL and WDW....debuts film at Sundance
'11 WONDER Alaska Cruise: '13 WILDERNESS LODGE
pansmermaidzlagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
kramer222
Mouseketeer

From The AV Club (avclub.com):

"The safest bet on an unrepeatable experience at Sundance this year is Escape From Tomorrow (A-), a movie shot guerilla-style inside the Magic Kingdom. That’s a bet, however, I’d be delighted to lose, since Randy Moore’s first feature is a sui generis work of art that deserves an audience every bit as devoted, if substantially more select than, as The Little Mermaid. The movie begins with an ironic twist on the perfect family vacation, as dad Roy Abramsohn rises for his last day at the park to find out he’s been fired from his job. But the demons menacing him soon manifest themselves more literally: the “Small World” marionettes hiss at him with bared fangs, and “Space Mountain” threatens swift decapitation.

"With a Disney lawsuit all but certain—an audience member informed Moore during the Q&A that one was already in progress, although I haven’t seen confirmation elsewhere—Escape has drawn a few comparisons to Todd Haynes’ samizdat Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story. But the likeness goes deeper than mere provocation. Like Haynes, Moore is waging an all-out assault on a cultural icon, flipping the polarities so what normally attracts repulses, and vice-versa. Its extralegal production style, which required substantial rerecording of dialogue and the use of green screen, lends a sense of disassociation more akin to Haynes’ Poison, which like Escape is essentially a semiotics thesis masquerading as a loose narrative. It has plenty of rough edges, but its climax hits like a confetti-filled shotgun."
kramer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

That sounds fascinating. I wonder how widely circulated it will get before Disney shuts it down.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

I heard about this on NPR yesterday. I doubt any of us will ever get a chance to see it, but it sounds very interesting.
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
ruckelc
Earning My Ears

I read a plot summary of the movie today after seeing something about it on Twitter and I want to see the film so badly now. Escape From Tomorrow takes some pretty crazy twists and I would love to see the parks in a dark and surreal way. With all of the hype that this film is getting it seems like it could possibly be good publicity if Disney were to allow it to continue to be screened but that may just be my intense desire to see this thing.
ruckelc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: