Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #166
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

I got my son, nephew and sister signed up for the 10K through Get Travel yesterday. Its my sons first race! We'll get him into a 5K before then, but I'm so excited. His cousin is crazy fast and athletic, and while Luke is no slouch, he was already saying he needed to train up so he can keep up with Ethan. Made me laugh a little- my 10 yr old in training!

My other sister was going to sign up for the 10K, but I pointed out she could get her C2C if she did the half (PHM last week) and she said... oh... yeah... I guess I have to do the half then. So she's on board too!

Anyone looking for the 10K or the half options, check with Bill at Get Travel. No DDD but they do have the other races (or did as of yesterday)

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #167
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

We're still 5+ months out, but are you all prepping for the DLR HM? I just completed my first HM (the San Diego HM) in 2:18. I was shooting for 2:20, so I count it as a success. Been running 10k and 15k races at somewhat faster paces, but considering I walked over a mile up a long hill during the SD HM, I can't complain.

With the flat course at DLR, this 59yo is hoping for an even better time in September. Unless I stop for pics of course!

For those of you who are currently training, are you using a published regimen such as the Galloway plan?

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #168
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrich View Post
We're still 5+ months out, but are you all prepping for the DLR HM? I just completed my first HM (the San Diego HM) in 2:18. I was shooting for 2:20, so I count it as a success. Been running 10k and 15k races at somewhat faster paces, but considering I walked over a mile up a long hill during the SD HM, I can't complain.

With the flat course at DLR, this 59yo is hoping for an even better time in September. Unless I stop for pics of course!

For those of you who are currently training, are you using a published regimen such as the Galloway plan?
I probably saw you cross the finish line! I did the 5k and my dad did the 1/2. Gorgeous weather that weekend!! And the Washington St. hill!?! I know that hill well, my school was right next to it and it would drive it many a time. Congrats on the great time!!

I've slowly started training back up again this week, working on cardio and strength. Me personally, I'm not a fan of Galloway's plan; I've just complied a whole bunch of plans and what I like out of each of them into a 12 week one. This year's different though, b/c I'll be in the middle of training for a marathon, so the DDD will be my "light" week. I hoping though that b/c of the longer runs before DL that I can get a PR that weekend. I would love to break 2:30 and get close down to 2:25, haven't gone that fast in a few years or if it's possible w/ the slowing when we go in/out of backstage but that's my goal.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #169
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Kim3339- Yes, the climb up Washington St is a challenge, especially since it starts at about mile 8 on the course.
I agree with your method of training both for cardio and strength. Personally, I alternate days by strength training in the weight room one day and running the next.
BTW, what marathon are you training for?

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #170
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Kim3339- Yes, the climb up Washington St is a challenge, especially since it starts at about mile 8 on the course.
I agree with your method of training both for cardio and strength. Personally, I alternate days by strength training in the weight room one day and running the next.
BTW, what marathon are you training for?
Yes, Mile 8 is not a good place. I tried warning my dad about it and he was just expecting the first part under the 5 and not all the way up to University. Don't know if you've done the AFC one, but that one is worse, b/c you go UP 6th right at the end.

I'm doing NYC in Nov. I was looking at the calendar and the way the weeks line up, I'll be doing a 20 week plan for NYC and it works at 11 weeks for DDD, but I'll have the base so that extra week won't be a problem.

Are you doing the 1/2 for DL or the other races too?

Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #171
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, Mile 8 is not a good place. I tried warning my dad about it and he was just expecting the first part under the 5 and not all the way up to University. Don't know if you've done the AFC one, but that one is worse, b/c you go UP 6th right at the end.

I'm doing NYC in Nov. I was looking at the calendar and the way the weeks line up, I'll be doing a 20 week plan for NYC and it works at 11 weeks for DDD, but I'll have the base so that extra week won't be a problem.

Are you doing the 1/2 for DL or the other races too?
My DW is doing the 10k and I'm doing the HM at DLR. This is so we can watch the grandkids on the separate days while DD and her husband do the DDD.

We did the AFC 5k last year, and will probably stick to the 5k this year just because of that climb at the end of the half. I'll be doing some 10 and 15ks in the meantime.

ETA- Good luck at the NYC! DW and I both grew up in NYC.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #172
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My DW is doing the 10k and I'm doing the HM at DLR. This is so we can watch the grandkids on the separate days while DD and her husband do the DDD.

We did the AFC 5k last year, and will probably stick to the 5k this year just because of that climb at the end of the half. I'll be doing some 10 and 15ks in the meantime.

ETA- Good luck at the NYC! DW and I both grew up in NYC.
That sounds like a fun family weekend and nice of you guys to watch the grandkids. Are they doing the kid races?

Thanks for the luck! Did either of you ever run it?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #173
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That sounds like a fun family weekend and nice of you guys to watch the grandkids. Are they doing the kid races?

Thanks for the luck! Did either of you ever run it?
DD waited just a day too long to sign the kids up for the DLR races and they got filled up. They have run the kids races at WDW though.
Neither DW or I have run the NYC, but a couple of our friends have done it.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #174
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Not sure who to ask about this so thought I would ask you folks on here. Do you know if in order to get the coast to coast challenge medal if it has to be in the same calendar year or 12 months from the first date? For example, my husband is running the dumbo double dare this Aug at DL and he just signed up for the WDW marathon in January 2014. The races are both eligible and only 5 months apart, so is he eligible for the Coast to Coast medal? Or does it not count because one race is in 2013 and the other in 2014? Thank you for your help.

Last edited by wallawallakids; 04-23-2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #175
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Not sure who to ask about this so thought I would ask you folks on here. Do you know if in order to get the coast to coast challenge medal if it has to be in the same calendar year or 12 months from the first date? For example, my husband is running the dumbo double dare this Aug at DL and he just signed up for the WDW marathon in January 2014. The races are both eligible and only 5 months apart, so is he eligible for the Coast to Coast medal? Or does it not count because one race is in 2013 and the other in 2014? Thank you for your help.
It has to be calendar year, unfortunately.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #176
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post
It has to be calendar year, unfortunately.
That is what I thought. Bummer.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #177
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

If you want the Disneyland training plans they are posted on rundisney. Except for dumbo. It's not up just yet for some reason.....

But if you check my blog (in signature) you can get it there! We found a back door.

Training for dumbo starts next week!!!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #178
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
It is calendar year like pp said but there is still W&D this fall, it isn't sold out and it would count for C2C with DL 1/2 this year.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #179
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Since it hasn't been posted in this thread yet and in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, medals were announced today!!!!

I don't start training for another couple of weeks, but I am now in excitement mode!! August cannot get here fast enough.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #180
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
Since it hasn't been posted in this thread yet and in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, medals were announced today!!!!

I don't start training for another couple of weeks, but I am now in excitement mode!! August cannot get here fast enough.
I know!! I sent the image to my coworkers this morning!! Can't wait to run in this event!!

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: