Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Flyerfan
Hockey lovin' OLTL addict with a deep desire for Disney

Special diet by choice- what are my chances?

I do not have any confirmed allergies but I have a limited diet by choice because of reflux and eczema issues I'm trying to work through. Gluten/dairy/sugar free, no fried foods; little to no processed foods; no beef, pork or shellfish. Limited to wild caught alaskan fish and turkey or chicken free of hormones/antibiotics/steroids, nuts, seeds, fresh/dried fruit and vegetables.

This is all by choice so I'm not sure how accomodating the restaurants would be if, for instance I would ask for a chicken sandwich in a lettuce wrap. Should I say I have an allergy even though It's never been confirmed?
Oct1989 Off site...Jan 1996 Dixie Landings...Jan 2006 POR....Dec 2006 POFQ...January 2008 SSR...Nov '08 OKW/Swan/SSR...Sept '09 BWV/YC....Nov '09 AKV/ SSR....July '10 SSR...Oct '10 HHI...Nov '11 SSR/BLT....May 2013 POR

Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan View Post
I do not have any confirmed allergies but I have a limited diet by choice because of reflux and eczema issues I'm trying to work through. Gluten/dairy/sugar free, no fried foods; little to no processed foods; no beef, pork or shellfish. Limited to wild caught alaskan fish and turkey or chicken free of hormones/antibiotics/steroids, nuts, seeds, fresh/dried fruit and vegetables.

This is all by choice so I'm not sure how accomodating the restaurants would be if, for instance I would ask for a chicken sandwich in a lettuce wrap. Should I say I have an allergy even though It's never been confirmed?
I have never heard of WDW having anything that 'wild' - is any of their poultry hormone/antibiotic/steroid free? I've never seen them offer nuts or seeds, if anything, just the opposite, due to allergies. They should have plenty of veggies, and some fruit. You may have to bring some of the above food yourself, and stay in a suite or a home offsite that has a kitchen.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I would not claim an allergy when your diet is by choice. I would suggest you be prepared to bring your own food. Disney chefs will not be able to cook any food you bring, so you may want to book a villa or suite with a kitchen/kitchenette. Nuts, seed and dried fruit is easy to bring with you. Fresh fruit is very available in the parks and the resorts. Counter service locations have small bags of carrots and many grab and go's at the value resorts have cut celery and carrots. MK has a baked potato cart.

http://allears.net/menu/menu_hfm.htm
AK has a fruit market
ineapple Bites $3.99

Apples and Caramel $3.49

Mixed Fruit Cup $3.39
Orange $1.29
Waxed Apple $1.29
Banana $1.29

Carrots and Celery Sticks $3.69

Soft Pretzel $3.79

Jalapeno Cheese Stuffed Pretzel $4.29

Assorted Chips $2.69

Ocean Spray Craisins Dried Cranberries $1.99
Ocean Spray Craisins Fruit and Nut Trail Mix $3.69

Minute Maid Juices $2.39 - $2.59
Bottled Water $2.50
Smart Water $3.25
Vitamin Water $3.29

Odwalla Smoothie $4.19

Pickle $1.19

Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade $3.29

DHS-
Anaheim Produce
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Print

Menu Date: September 2012

Frozen Golden Margarita $8.75

Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade $3.99

Powerade $3.19

Bottled Beverages $2.59

Bottled Water $2.50

Smart Water $3.50

Vitaminwater $3.29

Pretzel $3.99
Cheese Sauce $1.00

Assorted Chips $2.69

Ocean Spray Craisins brand Dried Cranberries $1.99 and $3.39

Fruit and Nut Trail Mix - with Craisins $3.69

California Trail Mix $2.99

Assorted Whole Fruit $1.49

Carrot and Celery Sticks with Lite Ranch Dressing $3.69

Granny Smith Apple Slices - with Caramel $3.49

Carrots $1.99

Mixed Fruit Cup or Grapes $3.59

Pineapple Cup $3.99

Pickle $1.39

MK
Liberty Square Market
Magic Kingdom
Print

Menu Date: July 2012

Hot Dog $4.79

Assorted Chips $2.69

Chocolate Chip Cookie $2.19

Bottled Beverages $2.50 - $3.99

smart Water $3.50

Pickles $1.39

Fruit Varies Seasonally
Apple Slices $1.89
Oranges $1.29
Green Apples $1.29
Bananas $1.29
Grapes $3.39
Mixed Fruit $3.39
Pineapple Spear $3.29
Watermelon $3.19
Carrot/Celery Sticks $3.69

Baked Potato $3.29

Corn on the cob $1.99

Ocean Spray Craisins Dried Cranberries $1.99
Ocean Spray Craisins Fruit and Nut Trail Mix $3.69

Frozen Slush $3.69

Last edited by livndisney; 01-12-2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added link
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

I'm sure you could order chicken with no bun and lettuce, but they won't have organic chicken. I think I've heard of wild fish at the Wave, you could also check out the menu at Flying Fish.

Your best bet will probably be to follow a vegan diet there, which is completely doable. They usually do note this as an allergy on your reservation in my experience, and when you get seated just clarify it with the server that it is not an allergy. The chef will still come and speak with you most of the time and let you know what the vegan options are (or what they can make).

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

As other posters mentioned, you would be able to order a chicken sandwich without a bun. But the chicken won't be organic and the counter service places are not likely to have lettuce they could make a wrp with (plus, would probably not know how to do it).

You can bring food with you into the parks. You will be able to find fresh fruits in each park (some free vegetables too). Vegan will get you the closest to what you are looking for.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Flyerfan
Hockey lovin' OLTL addict with a deep desire for Disney

Thank you. I had to type my original post quickly before the juice ran out on my Ipad and I wasn't really clear.

I was planning on bringing my own snacks and I've accepted the fact that I will have to be non-organic for the week. Basically I was just wondering if I could get substitutions in my meals. Like a vegetable instead of rice or potato...stuff like that.

I've been to WDW many times so I'm not a newbie, just a newbie to the whole limited diet thing.
Oct1989 Off site...Jan 1996 Dixie Landings...Jan 2006 POR....Dec 2006 POFQ...January 2008 SSR...Nov '08 OKW/Swan/SSR...Sept '09 BWV/YC....Nov '09 AKV/ SSR....July '10 SSR...Oct '10 HHI...Nov '11 SSR/BLT....May 2013 POR

Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Here's my opinion. I WOULD claim allergy to gluten and dairy, because that's most likely a big trigger for you. There is no harm and no shame in doing that. I don't have the menus up but if my memory serves me correctly... The Wave has free range chicken and I think that Jiko might as well. Also, I think The Wave has an organic greens salad and for breakfast they might have free range eggs, but I could be wrong. Your diet sounds a lot like mine . I have to run but I'll be back on later with more suggestions. There is a Whole Foods fairly close by and they do deliver, too. I'll check the menus when I get back from Trader Joe's in a bit. .
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Chickenlady
Mouseketeer

ALL chicken in the US is steroid/hormone free. The only time antibiotics are given is in the first 3-4 days of life. Free range has nothing to do with the feed the animal has eaten.
Chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you. I had to type my original post quickly before the juice ran out on my Ipad and I wasn't really clear.

I was planning on bringing my own snacks and I've accepted the fact that I will have to be non-organic for the week. Basically I was just wondering if I could get substitutions in my meals. Like a vegetable instead of rice or potato...stuff like that.

I've been to WDW many times so I'm not a newbie, just a newbie to the whole limited diet thing.
My family frequently requests substitutions and have never had a problem. My sister is a vegan and has always been able to remove/add/substitute at counter service and table service restaurants. She'd also prefer vegetables or fruit salad over fries, etc.. My mother is just picky. A few times the cashiers at the counter service restaurants have had the manager come out and speak with my sister, but they've always worked with her.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I don't see the lack of a doctor saying that you need a special diet like the one that you're describing as meaning it's "by choice". If you're seeing these kinds of health changes from these diet changes then this is diagnostic and a medical need.

But, if you're not concerned with things like cross contamination then I'd treat it differently than if you are concerned about it. If all you want is substitutions of things like vegetables for starches or leaving things like bread off then that can be handled without dealing with chefs and managers. You only need to treat all of this like allergies if you need to avoid cross contamination or really confirm ingredients to ensure no trace amounts of what you're avoiding.

I do agree that you're going to have trouble though with what you're describing as your diet. The meats are pretty much a no-go and the nuts/seeds that I can think of are processed. I think you're pretty much limited to fruits and vegetables so it's good that you're planning on bringing food.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
I don't see the lack of a doctor saying that you need a special diet like the one that you're describing as meaning it's "by choice". If you're seeing these kinds of health changes from these diet changes then this is diagnostic and a medical need.

But, if you're not concerned with things like cross contamination then I'd treat it differently than if you are concerned about it. If all you want is substitutions of things like vegetables for starches or leaving things like bread off then that can be handled without dealing with chefs and managers. You only need to treat all of this like allergies if you need to avoid cross contamination or really confirm ingredients to ensure no trace amounts of what you're avoiding.

I do agree that you're going to have trouble though with what you're describing as your diet. The meats are pretty much a no-go and the nuts/seeds that I can think of are processed. I think you're pretty much limited to fruits and vegetables so it's good that you're planning on bringing food.
Just to clarify, if you let them know at either a counter or table service restaurant that you are following a vegan diet, the cashier or server may get the manager or chef. Even if you say you don't need them.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

I would recommend looking at the menus on www.allears.net. Make a list for yourself of restaurants that offer what you can eat. It shouldn't be very difficult to get a piece of chicken or fish with a side of veggies at most any place. You might have to get a little creative in ordering - like getting a chicken sandwich, plain, no bun and a bunch of extra lettuce and tomatoes. Many places offer a side of fruit instead of fries. Carry your own nuts and dried fruit for snacks and you should be in business.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!

My mom is vegan and my dh and dad ovo-lacto vegetarian...it was pretty easy. We called ahead and the chef at boma even walked my mom around to be sure she had enough things to eat. It was a lot of fun and tons of good food. At flying fish the waiter made substitutions for us and wow. Look up the menus on All ears and it helped us plan. My mom had some gardein with her too in case cs had no vegan protein.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

I am vegetarian (choice) with allergy to mushrooms and mangoes.

I am a big fan of "intolerant." I have several friends who are anaphylactic to stuff... to me THAT is an allergy. I try not to downplay it by claiming allergy when the reality is it won't kill me, my body just doesn't like it. I used to write "mushroom intolernace" until it came to my attention that my symptoms were probably actually GI anaphylaxis, now I have changed it to allergy lol.

Anyways, the point is, I have found that being up front with the chefs etc is your best bet. If you can tell them, "my body doesn't tolerate gluten and dairy well, but they won't kill me," they will make you a gluten/dairy free meal but not necessarily have to take it into the back kitchen or wash all fresh utensils. We got to the point with my BFF's latex allergy that we would just literally rattle off protocol to the chefs - this is is the allergy, this is how most chefs choose to accomodate it, there is also an allergy to a, b and c but a bit of cross-contamination with those would probably not be a huge issue." I personally feel that throwing the label "allergy" on things can be a bit difficult - there is a huge difference between the fact that my body doesn't like dairy, and the fact that if my friend gets ahold of a tiny bite of strawberry she will probably die en route to the hospital.

I would probably go ahead and send in the special diets form, paring it down to what is most important to you. You seem to understand that you're likely not going to get all natural food, but let them know that you are looking for minimally processed meals. And as others have said, help them help you - have an idea of where you're likely to have success. The Wave is going to be able to help you a whole lot better than Cosmic Ray's, lol!!

Lastly, to piggyback on the last response, it is HARD to find veg protein in the World. Sci-Fi used to have tofu, but no more. The pasta bars at AoA and POR have four different meat proteins but no veggie option. I always pack my own trail mix (I get a case at Costco) and it's in my bag at all times. I can do an egg sandwich/burrito for breakfast, but other than that, it's cheese, and I just can't eat enough of that to provide my body with adaquete protein. The trail mix is a great "back pocket" option. I am always careful to eat it in open areas and wash my hands well afterwards... hoping to not set off a PN/TNa kiddo.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
zumbergc
DIS Veteran

Whole foods will deliver so if u get a villa , condo or house near by with a kitchen U can get the organic meats

I have frozen meals ahead. Put them in cooler in suitcase and checked that bag. We stay dvc so at the min I have a microwave and small fridge
I don't travel the summer months and I have a short 2 hr flight. Everything has always been still frozen when I arrived
I do plan my flights for mid afternoon we arrive after 4 so our room is ready.
It saves time cooking some of my meals

Also if u bring food into the parks don't forget to bring to freezer pack thing to keep things cool
Also the thermos brand containers really help things cool when bringing things in the park

There are not microwaves in the parks to heat things up unfortunately.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: