Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
6624Ng
Earning My Ears

DVC Points or Pay for Cruise?

Hi,

New here. Just wondered if anyone found it better to use DVC points or pay out of pocket for the Disney Cruise? Trying to make a decision and would love some insight. Thanks much.
6624Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

I always use my points to book my DCL cruises. However, you will find lots of members who disagree and say it isn't worth it. You will have to decide what your comfort level is and if you have enough points for the type of room you want. So far, I have taken the DCL Western, Alaskan, 7 night Mediterranean, and Mexican Riveria cruises using my DVC points. I am doing the Eastern and 12 night Med in 2013 using points. I also use my points for ABD and RCI. It works for me! Good luck with your decision.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
DisneyCruisin'
DIS Veteran

It's what you are comfortable with. For us, we don't want to deal with renting out points and have used points to book cruises and ABD adventures. In fact, we leave Sunday on B2B cruises on the Dream all booked on points.

DisneyCruisin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
dorkeemn
Mouseketeer

We've been members for 5 years now and have booked 4 cruises using points.

As others said - it's up to you and your comfort level - If you can't bank the points, and are going to lose them, might as well use them.

Dave
dorkeemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
aymekae
Mouseketeer

I haven't had to worry about this situation yet (fairly new member as well), but we would probably look into renting our points and using the cash from the rental to pay for the cruise. That seems to help save some value of the points.

Ben (32) Ayme (28) Ian (10 mo)

DLR Trips - Last: Sep. 2013 Next: Jan. 2014
Honeymoon to WDW (Wilderness Lodge) Sep. 11, 2008
Western Caribbean Cruise (Magic) Dec. 10, 2011
Aulani Nov. 3-12, 2012
Eastern Caribbean Cruise (Fantasy) Dec. 14, 2013
Disneyland Jan. 16-18, 2014 (Neverland 5K)
aymekae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
vacationsitis
Mouseketeer

Six cruises, all on points. I am thinking of renting & paying but haven't done it yet.
vacationsitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

There are so many variables here. # of people? Time of year? Did you book on opening day? Category of room? Can you rent your points for cash, or go through a broker? Here are a couple of tips/thoughts

- As a PP mentioned if the points are expiring then use them
- Keep in mind there is a small fee, I believe it is still $95 to use the points for a cruise
- Cash for the cruise is almost always a better "value", however the points are meant to be used so inherently there is a kind of obligatory vacation with DVC or the points expire
- Some people do a mix they book some of the party with cash and some with points

We have done both and we have also considered renting points, however we only do that with people we know, we prefer not to go through a broker and have yet to try and book people through the forum. We just feel that the hassle of that is not worth the savings we would garner. However we usually just pay cash for the cruises and use the points for before and after stays.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

We rented out points once and I was very nervous about it. Would they leave a credt card on file with insufficient credit? Would they smoke in the room or damage something? As the member, you will ultimately be responsible for that if the renters don't take responsibility.. I'm sure it doesn't happen often at all, but I'm not willing to risk it again.

We've taken 2 cruises. One was paid for with points and when I broke it all down at what we paid for points, maintenance fees, booking fee, we came out slightly ahead had we paid cash. However, I didn't have any obc either.

Since 2 out of our last 3 WDW accommodations have been paid for us (hubby attending conference) we have banked points that need to b used. Add those with current points, hubby and I can take a one week on magic for or anniversary next oct. That is something we are considering.

Good luck with what you decide :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Walt Disney World Aug/04 FW Cabins; Jun/05 offsite; Dec/06 ASMo/OKW & MVMCP; Jan/08 POR BFF trip; Sept-Oct/08 AKV & MNSSHP; Dec/09 Pop; Nov/11 Cor Spngs w/my honey; Dec/11 AKV Kidani w/ the kids; Oct/12 CR/Poly & MNSSHP; June/13 SSR Girls Only Trip; Oct/13 BC & MNSSHP w/my honey; Jan/14 AKV Mother son trip
Disney Cruise Line Dec/09 Magic 7 nt E w/ Tortola; Jan/11 Wonder 15 nt WBPC; Mar/13 Fantasy 7 nt E w/San Juan; May/13 Magic 6 nt W w/my honey; Sept/14 Fantasy 7 nt W w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
robhawk
DIS Veteran

We got our points to use them for anything & everything Disney! 3 times it has been for cruises. Best value?? Probably not but don't care! Haha!
Use them if it works best for you. You will have a great time!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
WDW Enabler
Founding Father of the HARDHAT BRIGADE

This will be our third cruise on points. Our first was a gift tot adding on points. This year we are taking my patents. On the cruise for their40th wedding anniversary. We would not be able to afford two staterooms without the points. We bought the points to enjoy them.

Proud father of 1 Disney FANATIC, and husband to an even bigger Disney FANATIC.
Proud Disney "Verteran of the day" three times, and owner of the flag flown over the Magic Kingdom on March 27th 2008.

Founding father of the "Hardhat Brigade", a growing group of enternal fun loving Disney fanatics who ...... wait the surprise is coming....... Wear lime-green hardhats with Mickey ears....

Applications now being accepted. Apply within
WDW Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
ethanash1
A little bit of Pixie Dust can fix almost anything......

We've taken 3 cruises on points. If we're vacationing that year on a ship, might as well use them. When you factor in the entertainment, food, etc VS a room only at WDW, it doesn't seem that far off. Good luck, and enjoy whatever you do.

Port Orleans French Quarter March 2009Disney Magic Western Caribbean March 2010
Disneyland VGC June 2010Disneyland VGC Sept 2010
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011 Walt Disney World / Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean October 2012Aulani Resort June 2013 Disney Magic Double Dip October 2013
ethanash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

DW and I have been on seven DCLs and used points for all or part of six of them.
One of the cruises on points we got two rooms for us and DD(#1)'s family. Have set aside points for a 2014 cruise for us and DD(#2)'s family.
We do not rent points, we got the points to us, family, and friends to enjoy.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

We have been on one DCL cruise and have another booked, and we paid cash for both. I won't say we will never use points, but we certainly won't in the next few years while we have young children. We need our points for WDW. If we ever get to a point where we want to skip a few years of WDW, we might use them for a cruise, as I'm not (at least currently) comfortable with renting them out.

(me) (DH) (DS 9) (DD 3) (4 cats)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
ajmercedes59
Earning My Ears

We are new DVC members and we are taking a cruise paid with points in March. I had already had an onboard booking from a previous cruise and when I called DVC to book the cruise I was shocked to learn that not only could they convert my OBB to be paid with points but also that I would get a discount on the points required that takes the place of the OBB discount. So that's something to keep in mind.
ajmercedes59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmercedes59
We are new DVC members and we are taking a cruise paid with points in March. I had already had an onboard booking from a previous cruise and when I called DVC to book the cruise I was shocked to learn that not only could they convert my OBB to be paid with points but also that I would get a discount on the points required that takes the place of the OBB discount. So that's something to keep in mind.
How long after booking did you transfer to DVC? I know you'll get a 10% point discount if you book 5 days after disembarking but is there a time limit on transfers to get discount?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Walt Disney World Aug/04 FW Cabins; Jun/05 offsite; Dec/06 ASMo/OKW & MVMCP; Jan/08 POR BFF trip; Sept-Oct/08 AKV & MNSSHP; Dec/09 Pop; Nov/11 Cor Spngs w/my honey; Dec/11 AKV Kidani w/ the kids; Oct/12 CR/Poly & MNSSHP; June/13 SSR Girls Only Trip; Oct/13 BC & MNSSHP w/my honey; Jan/14 AKV Mother son trip
Disney Cruise Line Dec/09 Magic 7 nt E w/ Tortola; Jan/11 Wonder 15 nt WBPC; Mar/13 Fantasy 7 nt E w/San Juan; May/13 Magic 6 nt W w/my honey; Sept/14 Fantasy 7 nt W w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: