DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
OneMoreTry

DIS Veteran

What is Walking a Reservation?

There is a thread on this but no explanation of what exactly it is.

Sounds like I will need to do that for my upcoming OKW GV HH next Xmas.
OneMoreTry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTry View Post
There is a thread on this but no explanation of what exactly it is.

Sounds like I will need to do that for my upcoming OKW GV HH next Xmas.
It's when you start booking your stay a period of time before the actual stay. For example, you want Dec 25 through Jan 1 and it is going to be hard to get those nights because they are really desired by a lot of members. You start booking your stay for seven nights around Dec 18 or so. Then you call MS each day and drop the first night and add another night until you get the stay you want.

It's kind of the opposite of what members used to do when you booked your stay by the departure day of your trip. They would book a single night for the first night (so everyone was equal at that point) and every day add another night to the trip until they got the stay they wanted.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
riatees
Mouseketeer

How do you determine if you really need to walk a reservation or not? It actually kind of sounds like cheating to me even though I am sure it is perfectly legal. We are planing on staying in a GV at OKW checking in on Jan. 7th 2014 and checking out on Jan. 14th 2014. Do you think it is necessary to walk this reservation and if so, what date should I actually book as my check in date? Sorry if this has all been explained before, I'm just not really sure that I understand it. Thanks.

RIATEES
riatees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by riatees View Post
How do you determine if you really need to walk a reservation or not? It actually kind of sounds like cheating to me even though I am sure it is perfectly legal. We are planing on staying in a GV at OKW checking in on Jan. 7th 2014 and checking out on Jan. 14th 2014. Do you think it is necessary to walk this reservation and if so, what date should I actually book as my check in date? Sorry if this has all been explained before, I'm just not really sure that I understand it. Thanks.
Sounds like you plan on being there for the marathon. I don't think there is the rush for the marathon like Christmas/New Years.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
drusba

DIS Veteran

Walking at the 11 month period is not needed for most things most of the time. First week of Dec and Christmas time it may be needed for AKV value and concierge, OKW GVs at Hospitality House area (not elsewhere) and possibly BWV standard and BLT standard view. It can also be needed for AKV concierge many other times of year. if you were to do it for Jan 7 to 14, you would start Feb 1 and reserve Jan 1 to 8 thus picking up first night you want, and then call daily and drop front end day and add one at the end until you have Jan 7 to 14.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
riatees
Mouseketeer

Ok, so from your replies, it sounds like I won't really need to walk this reservation. I was a little concerned because we are checking in on a Tuesday so I wasn't sure if the GV'S would book up for the whole week with people checking in on Saturday. If that is a concern, is it right to assume I should actually walk the reservation from Saturday the 4th. Or, am I just worrying over nothing since it is a slower time of year? I really need the GV because there will be 12 of us and I know there are not that many. Thanks again for all of your replies. I've been out of the loop for a while because I lost my job a while ago and was unable to vacation for a few years. Finally, last year I found a job and was back to work again full time and just before Christmas this year I was told I was being laid off again! Now my boss says he can keep me on part time so at least that is something. So much for a career in the health field being secure. Anyway, I feel like I have a lot to catch up on these boards and I am looking forward to it!!

RIATEES
riatees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
drusba

DIS Veteran

If booking 11 months out, you will not need to walk. Also, as far as DVC demand that time of year, from Jan 4 through the night of the 8th, it will be moderate. it is the Thursday through Monday of Marathon weekend, Jan 9 through 13, that will be the high demand nights but even for those you won't need to walk. As far as OKW GVs go, the HH area GVs will go somewhat quickly, but the others are likely to still be available at 7 months out.

Last edited by drusba; 01-29-2013 at 02:54 AM.
drusba is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: