Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Dzone
Earning My Ears

Help me Choose

Dolphin or POR. Price is basically the same. I really like the Epcot area and usually stay deluxe but can't justify the cost and I can't book through an owner right now. How far is the walk to Epcot from the Dolphin?
Dzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
hallienicole
Mouseketeer

It's not far at all, 15-20 minutes at the most on crowded days. There is also the boat that can take you there (and Hollywood Studios), but I think sometimes walking is faster and a better scenic route. We love staying at a Epcot resort because it's so easy to just walk in and have a great meal or see some fantastic street performers.
Disneyland:Oct '01 (Good Neighbor Hotel), June '07 (Tropicana Inn & Suites), June '08 (Tropicana Inn & Suites), Oct. '08 (Camelot Inn and Suites), June '10 (Disneyland Hotel), Jan '12 (Best Western Park Place Inn), April '13 (Carousel Inn & Suites)
WDW: June '09 (Sheraton Vistana Villages Villas), Jan '11 (Caribbean Beach Resort), Aug '12 (Beach Club), Jan '14 (Wilderness Lodge)
hallienicole is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Robbi
DIS Veteran

It takes us about 10 minutes to walk to Epcot from the Dolphin- a couple of minutes more than from the YC or BW.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
partypa
Mouseketeer

I would pick POR over the Dolphin. I would pick just about any Disney Resort over the Dolphin. The Dolphin is OK but feels like any other Hotel we can stay at, anywhere. We feel more "Magic" staying at the Disney Resorts, POR is great, relaxing and beautiful. Getting to any of the Parks in a hurry is never own main focus, we are there to take it easy.
partypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

This is a great question. We have stayed in both when not staying at DVC resorts.

My wife and I are completely split:

WIFE: I just asked her and she said, "Dolphin for location, POR for the feel." In other words, she says that POR has a more Disney feel to it, which I agree with. Her first answer was that she would take POR (where we had our honeymoon), but when I reminded her that we went with the Dolphin for a recent trip and that we loved the location (near 2 parks), she said "I guess you are right. I'd go with the Dolphin."

ME: I will be the first to say that POR is a GREAT resort. I consider it to be a deluxe resort at moderate prices. You can't beat the general vibe when walking around the grounds. With that said, I just can't pass up the location for the Dolphin. We love that area. On top of that, the rooms are bigger and nicer, the counter service is open 24 hours a day and the pool area has a more "luxury" feel to it.

Yes, the Dolphin doesn't feel as "Disney" as POR when you are walking around the hotel and grounds. However, the LOCATION feels more Disney, as you look out and see several other Disney resorts, and you can walk to 2 parks.

So..............While you can't go wrong, I would go with the Dolphin.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

I have only stayed at the Swan. Dolphin (and Swan) are corporate convention center hotels, and look and feel like it. When on vacation that's the last thing I want. All they have going for them is location (IMHO).

Last edited by DanInMN; 01-19-2013 at 06:17 PM.
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

If you think you are going to spend a lot of your time at EPCOT and HS then I would go with Dolphin. If your park time will be more even - I would go with POR...

I would stay over POR then Dolphin bc Dolphin is not a Disney owned resort. Would I ever try it .. yeah probably but not for a while when there are so many other resorts I have not tried.

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354
FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Are you by any chance a teacher, nurse, or government employee? If so, both the Swan and Dolphin offer discounts that may make them more palatable-- you might save enough that you could add a day or two to your trip.

Also, keep in mind that POR has access to both the Disney Dining Plans and Magical Express, while the Dolphin doesn't.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 01-20-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
Dzone
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Are you by any chance a teacher, nurse, or government employee? If so, both the Swan and Dolphin offer discounts that may make them more palatable-- you might save enough that you could add a day or two to your trip.

Also, keep in mind that POR has access to both the Disney Dining Plans and Magical Express, while the Dolphin doesn't.
My wife is a teacher so we would get a small discount since we are going Easter week. I could care a less about the Disney dining plan, it sounds like I would have much better food options at the swan and dolphin.
Dzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
MyOtherSS
Mouseketeer

I haven't stayed at either but if you do the dining plan keep in mind that its not available when staying at Dolphin. I have a few friend that absolutely love POR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzone

My wife is a teacher so we would get a small discount since we are going Easter week. I could care a less about the Disney dining plan, it sounds like I would have much better food options at the swan and dolphin.
How do you go about getting that discount? My girlfriend is a teacher and we are going during her spring break in April.

Past Stays: Fort Wilderness, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Contemporary.
MyOtherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherSS View Post
How do you go about getting that discount? My girlfriend is a teacher and we are going during her spring break in April.
Here you go: http://www.swandolphin.com/offers/teachers/index.html

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: