Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

We normally just use Disney transportation and are very happy to do so, but this summer we will need a car since our son will be going to camp outside of the park during the day. What is the best way to get a super great deal on a car?

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned getting a car at MCO, but we will need the car for the second week of a 2-week trip.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #32
JJ&JSMOM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
For a larger family, renting a car is more expensive. You also need to deal with bringing boosters for older children who otherwise wouldn't need them on the plane. It's an added hassle in the airport, and frankly, I don't like driving or parking!

Bus service can be a pain, but IMO if you're on property, the real perk to that is being able to *avoid* the car rental :-)
I agree. We were thinking of staying off site to save some money but the rental put us up to the price of staying on site. That solved that....on site it is! Plus I love not having to drive and if there's a wait for the bus....sit & relax. You're on vacation.

[
JJ&JSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #33
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
One thing I would like to ask of those who do drive but leave the car/van in the parking lot the whole time is to please after unloading, park the non used vehicle a little farther out so those of us who do drive to the parks every day can have a parking spot kinda closer to the building when we come back from the parks. You can always get closer when packing up to leave. In our many trips I have always noticed a lot of the same cars/vans parked in the same spots the whole trip. Hope I don't get flamed for asking that, lol.
That would be nice. I wish Disney would have mandatory valet parking as many hotels and resorts do.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #34
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1
We normally just use Disney transportation and are very happy to do so, but this summer we will need a car since our son will be going to camp outside of the park during the day. What is the best way to get a super great deal on a car?

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned getting a car at MCO, but we will need the car for the second week of a 2-week trip.
You can pick up an Alamo/National car at the Dolphin. Also, check the Transportation board for codes to use for rental discounts. I used Rentalcarmomma.com for some great rates.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #35
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

A couple years ago we flew on the airlines, stayed off-site, and rented a car. At the end of our trip we had a 2 day flight delay due to snowstorms up north. I called the car rental company to extend, yet they charged us a HUGE fee that exceeded the cost of the whole week. I felt ripped-off.

This time we are taking the airlines, staying on-site, and using Disney transportation. The cost is no more than off-site with a car/gas/tolls/parking. We don't have to find our way, take the parking lot shuttles, or worry about driving after having a beer. Since our trip is off season (one week from today) we are hoping that the buses will not be too crowded.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #36
busymommy2pink
Lost in Neverland

Im one of those who stay deluxe and dont bother renting a car. Why? Many reasons really. For me personally it involves lugging two large and extremely heavy britax car seats through a crowded airport four times that we otherwise don't need while there. We would need a van, those are not affordable. We priced at $537-1100 for our vacation. Where i come from (Toronto) and other large metropolises like NYC etc plenty of people dont ever have a license since it's not needed. Public transportation is a way of life. Many more people do not own a car than those that do. Not everyone drives or enjoys it. I do, but here I am not the norm. For me my money is better spent on a splurge to stay deluxe than renting a car and staying value or moderate. We have a budget. We stick to it. Rental cars don't fit into it if we want deluxe accommodations. Not everyone staying Poly is loaded with money. Many many people plan and budget to have that specific vacation of their dreams. Others may not rent because they don't have credit cards. They are required 99% of the time, and 100% of the time when you are getting deals like you suggest. Others may have health issues, want to enjoy adult beverages, are nervous of driving in unknown areas, view it as part of the experience etc. Just because of these reasons, doesn't strip a person of their right to voice an opinion over an unpleasant Disney transportation experience. I'd be careful on how quick you judge others.

MEDHDD8DD5

coming soon fam jam part 2 May 2015!!
planning sept 2014 with sister and nephew first time and dd5!! AKL or POR
Beach Club 10 days fam jam/little sis 1st time! August 2013!
Beach Club stay 11 days May 2012! First Family Vacation!!!
AKL 2010 ~~ Girls Only Trip...with my BFF and DD and her BFF
busymommy2pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #37
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

I think most people are bus fans, just those than complain (sometimes rightfully) stick in your brain.
Personally we love it, not that it's been perfect by a long shot. We also (considering we fly from CA) think that the ME addition and experience has added so much value to our travel and stay...incredible that we don't have to pick up luggage at the airport and it just 'appears' in your hotel room. Yep, that's magical alright!

Oh almost forgot resort airline check-in. Man, what a fantastic addition also!

Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #38
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
That would be nice. I wish Disney would have mandatory valet parking as many hotels and resorts do.
There would be no way that would work....could you imagine how many valets would be needed after park closings...And, folks arent going to want to wait for their vehicle in the morning either...and who wants to add more tip possibilities.Honestly, i have stayed pretty much everywhere, I havnt encountered mandatory valet. First come first serve has worked well since all these resorts at WDW has opened. I dont ever recall a time when we went back to say...All star music or WL and found it difficult to park near our room entrance. Before this thread..i dont know that i even thought much about it..I have left our van front row right outside our room all week...not even getting in it...other times, we use it and more times than not...park pretty darn close to where we left it. If not...its not too far away,
But the bottom line....Disney transport is fine. Nothing really to complain about. Its free. So...you cant really. The buses are fine.

Last edited by alecshawn; 01-19-2013 at 06:24 PM.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #39
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
We drive to WDW. 2-3 days. Each way. Once we're there, the last thing we want to do is drive some more. And we like to enjoy the occasional adult beverage either in the parks or with dinner in the evenings. So driving back to our resort could present a problem (we never drive after more than one drink).

In 35 years of going to WDW we have never encountered bus problems of such severity that it would warrant using our car. But people's ability to tolerate public transportation varies wildly. I get that. But for us, the occasional taxi to return to a resort in the evening or to get to an early morning ADR is still much more convenient than driving our own car.

Of course if we were travelling off site, that would be a whole 'nuther ball game. But we very rarely do.

Totally agree! We also drive 24 hours each way so we never use our car in WDW when their transportation is easy and free. We do not mind waiting or need to have a seat on the bus for a 10 minute ride. When we do get one we usually end up giving it away. However my 2 kids are a bit older and can manage standing.

Also OP, not everyone who goes to Disney stays at the Poly. Some families scrimp and save for a very long time to be able to afford a vacation at just a value hotel. Renting a car, even at $25 a day or so can be a deal breaker for them. Everyone's situation is different and just because they are at Disney does not mean they have money to spend when they don't need to.
mom to minnie&mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #40
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

Why don't I rent a car? Why WOULD I rent a car?

I park my car in the cheapie lot ($4/day!!) and take the shuttle to the airport. Once I give my bags to my friendly Southwest agent, I am hands-off until I pack them post-bedbug check.

Arrive at MCO, cross to B-side, down the elevators (can you take the escalator down?) and then follow the signs. On the bus, where your biggest decision is how close to a monitor to sit. Someone else handles the tolls, the traffic, and the directions. Arrive at Po'Half, check in, and head to the room for the aforementioned bedbug check. Drop our carry-ons, and off we go.

All week, all we have to do is follow the signs. Marathon weekend, half the roads closed? No biggie. Want to start at DHS, have lunch at Cap't Cook's and spend the evening at the MK? No worries about where you left your car.

I pay for the busses, boats, and monorails, plus DME and luggage delivery, in my $169 "value" room rate. I don't spend $3500 for a week at the Poly... I guess I could, but it would be an annual trip, instead of several as an AP-holder. We get on that shuttle at the airport parking lot and have no worries, all week. If the worst thing I have to fuss about is standing for an 18-minute bus ride, I am golden!!

ETA: We stayed at a hotel with mandatory valet a few years ago. Talk about a hassle... I waited longer for my car than I wait for a bus, 95% of the time. Also, we DID rent a car at the start of one trip last year - went to Universal, then drove to MK for the night before heading home to Pop. It didn't really save us time on the WDW end of things, not to mention, I am not a good tired driver, and we leave those parks EXHAUSTED, so it's best that I let someone else do the driving!
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #41
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post
Why don't I rent a car? Why WOULD I rent a car?

I park my car in the cheapie lot ($4/day!!) and take the shuttle to the airport. Once I give my bags to my friendly Southwest agent, I am hands-off until I pack them post-bedbug check.

Arrive at MCO, cross to B-side, down the elevators (can you take the escalator down?) and then follow the signs. On the bus, where your biggest decision is how close to a monitor to sit. Someone else handles the tolls, the traffic, and the directions. Arrive at Po'Half, check in, and head to the room for the aforementioned bedbug check. Drop our carry-ons, and off we go.

All week, all we have to do is follow the signs. Marathon weekend, half the roads closed? No biggie. Want to start at DHS, have lunch at Cap't Cook's and spend the evening at the MK? No worries about where you left your car.

I pay for the busses, boats, and monorails, plus DME and luggage delivery, in my $169 "value" room rate. I don't spend $3500 for a week at the Poly... I guess I could, but it would be an annual trip, instead of several as an AP-holder. We get on that shuttle at the airport parking lot and have no worries, all week. If the worst thing I have to fuss about is standing for an 18-minute bus ride, I am golden!!

ETA: We stayed at a hotel with mandatory valet a few years ago. Talk about a hassle... I waited longer for my car than I wait for a bus, 95% of the time. Also, we DID rent a car at the start of one trip last year - went to Universal, then drove to MK for the night before heading home to Pop. It didn't really save us time on the WDW end of things, not to mention, I am not a good tired driver, and we leave those parks EXHAUSTED, so it's best that I let someone else do the driving!
Very well stated....The buses are FINE.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #42
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

The bus system may not be perfect, and sometimes it's downright aggravating, but driving to the parks is just as bad. It's not just the expense...I have a rotten sense of direction and get really tired of getting lost and turning around! Even my Garman kept letting me down last time we rented a car in Orlando. I'd rather wait in line, then sit back and let someone else drive!
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #43
si-am
DIS Veteran

For me, being able to park my car and not look at it again while I'm on vacation is part of the immersive experience of a WDW vacation. I drive 45 minutes each way to work 5 days a week. Don't really want to drive at Disney, too!

Plus, I enjoy my drinks on vacation, too, and it's nice to not have to worry about who has to drive home.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #44
kris4360
DIS Veteran

We always rent a car at the airport. We stop at a grocery store on our way to the resort and pick up snacks, breakfast items, a case of water and soda. When we are ready to go to the parks we jump in the car and go, no waiting in line for the bus and hoping you get on this one. And same at the end of the day. We also like to take a day or two and go to US/IOA or sea world or even cocoa beach.
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #45
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymommy2pink
Im one of those who stay deluxe and dont bother renting a car. Why? Many reasons really. For me personally it involves lugging two large and extremely heavy britax car seats through a crowded airport four times that we otherwise don't need while there. We would need a van, those are not affordable. We priced at $537-1100 for our vacation. Where i come from (Toronto) and other large metropolises like NYC etc plenty of people dont ever have a license since it's not needed. Public transportation is a way of life. Many more people do not own a car than those that do. Not everyone drives or enjoys it. I do, but here I am not the norm. For me my money is better spent on a splurge to stay deluxe than renting a car and staying value or moderate. We have a budget. We stick to it. Rental cars don't fit into it if we want deluxe accommodations. Not everyone staying Poly is loaded with money. Many many people plan and budget to have that specific vacation of their dreams. Others may not rent because they don't have credit cards. They are required 99% of the time, and 100% of the time when you are getting deals like you suggest. Others may have health issues, want to enjoy adult beverages, are nervous of driving in unknown areas, view it as part of the experience etc. Just because of these reasons, doesn't strip a person of their right to voice an opinion over an unpleasant Disney transportation experience. I'd be careful on how quick you judge others.
I am not picking on or judging anyone- simply stating my advice that if you are one to complain about the bus system that you should rent a car and make it easy. I think it is a worthy consideration and you can get incredible deals in Orlando. There are specific cases where it doesn't make sense, but for the price it's often an inexpensive way to improve your vacation experience at disney. When my wife got sick on our honeymoon, renting a car made it easy to get her treatment. When you need cheap groceries Walmart is just a few minutes away to make a quick stop before moving in for your stay. Visiting AKL, boardwalk, DTD, making it to last minute reservations, golf, the airport- it's all easier. And yes I stand by what I said- if you are spending $3500 for the Poly it is not a stretch to rent a car.
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: