Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
Dean1972
Mouseketeer

We will be visiting the world in December from Australia
As we drive on the other side of the road , the thought of hiring a rental car scares the life out of me . Rofl...
We are staying at Hilton Parc Soleil, so plan on using a combination of Disney Transportation & cabs.
I realise that cabs might be a little $$$, but I cannot justify Disney's rack rate, when DW & I prefer amenities over theming, and don't mnd paying for convenience for cabs
Dean1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
I see tons of complaints about bus service on these boards, and I've never understood it. I have absolutely no comprehension of being able to afford $3500 for a week at the Polynesian yet not being able to pay $27 a day (or sometimes much less) for a rental car. I used priceline to get a rental car for $10 a day (toyota corrola) at MCO on our last trip.

What if you get sick on vacation, need to be somewhere faster than disney transportation can get you there, or just want to explore the resorts without spending all day on a bus? I understand sometimes the bus is just easier depending on what your plans are, but for the most part I see rental car $$ very well spend, even if you only use it a few times.

All I'm saying is don't let bus service hold you back from staying somewhere at disney. Rent a car and be done with it, it's a beautiful thing.
We're only eight hours from Disney so we drive there. And about 99.9% of the time, the car stays in the resort parking lot. Only time we take it out is for a Publix run.

We are on vacation, we aren't in a hurry, we are trying to relax. I drive maybe, really maybe, two hours in a complete trip. Nirvana when my commute is an hour one way every single day.

We welcome Disney buses which are so much better than our alternative here in the Atlanta area. My hour commute would be almost two and a half with the crappy system we have here.

So yeah, I embrace the Disney bus system. As my daughter-in-law said on her very first trip - "why don't people like it? It's free and easy". This coming from a girl on her first trip outside of her hometown. If she can figure it out, anyone can.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

We're only 6-7 hour drive away so we always drive. If only 2 to 4 of us going we usually take my car but mostly it is 5 or 6 people so we have to rent a mini van and we have never gotten those at a 'good' deal. Good thing is tho that we usually split the rental 2 or 3 ways. If I lived far enough to fly in then I would just use the Disney transportation.

Book Challenge Goal 60/72

willowsnn3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

One thing I would like to ask of those who do drive but leave the car/van in the parking lot the whole time is to please after unloading, park the non used vehicle a little farther out so those of us who do drive to the parks every day can have a parking spot kinda closer to the building when we come back from the parks. You can always get closer when packing up to leave. In our many trips I have always noticed a lot of the same cars/vans parked in the same spots the whole trip. Hope I don't get flamed for asking that, lol.

Book Challenge Goal 60/72

willowsnn3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
starrysky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressBubbles
We love our adult beverages while on vacation. I don't want to have to think about how many I've had or how long it's been before I get behind the wheel. It's not something that we do very much during the rest of the year, so we splurge on vacation.
Disney transportation is a great designated driver!
We are the same means during food and wine we can have a couple of samples and not worry about who has to drive. Taxis can be easily got if needed but we find that Disney transport can get us where we want as long as we plan in the time.

Over all we go to have fun and relax and to us driving is just not part of that.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

Personally, this whole "i don't want to drive thing" I get, but my BF and I just don't agree with it. Driving is like breathing, not a big deal to us, and we'll be driving down to Florida which is a long drive, but that is what we like to do.

In addition we'll use our car while at Disney, but I don't have a problem using Disney transportation here and there, but will not use it all the time. I'm not a lover of public transportation and having the car means we have A LOT more freedom so we would rent one if we didn't drive down. Just how we feel about it.

I can understand the anti-driving people, especially if you are coming from another country. I do think Disney does provide a lot of transportation opportunities, boats, bus, monorail, etc...so that is good.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Sure you can get a rental car pretty cheaply, but have you priced a rental van? Go with 6 or more people and you need a van. And a van is typically more than twice the cost of a car.

While I am at WDW I would much rather not drive if I don't have to. I'm not usually in such a hurry that I need to hop in a car and get there NOW, but if I am, we just get a cab. I like sitting on the bus and chatting with the family about what we are going to do that day, or what we have done, and I like not having to fight traffic in an unfamiliar city.

I also have the sense of direction of an amoeba.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
One thing I would like to ask of those who do drive but leave the car/van in the parking lot the whole time is to please after unloading, park the non used vehicle a little farther out so those of us who do drive to the parks every day can have a parking spot kinda closer to the building when we come back from the parks. You can always get closer when packing up to leave. In our many trips I have always noticed a lot of the same cars/vans parked in the same spots the whole trip. Hope I don't get flamed for asking that, lol.
Not flamed..but i dont see too many people worrying about where they park.
I park as close as can get....whenever that is. If its not close...no big deal.
If we were to leave our van in the same spot for 8 days....it would be perfect ina fron row spot. Easy to keep eye on.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

We've done both. If I see a reasonable rental car price, I get one. We usually end up using a combo of WDW transportation and driving if we have a car.

There are a number of variables. It matters where you stay and eat. Eating at your resort is always easy. Getting back to almost any resort from a late dinner at AKL without a car is kind of a pain.

Still, it's easy to modify our trip. If we don't have a car, we eat in the parks, or near our resort.

Weather is another important variable, as is crowds. nice weather vs. miserable weather, and low vs. high crowds make a big difference in transportation. I'm happy to walk on a nice day. I'm not eager to wait over an hour ina mob of angry people in the pouring rain for a boat/bus/monorail.
If you've never seen a large unhappy horde at the monorail platform (when you were on your way to a special event), then maybe it's hard to see how that could ruin someone's day. (especially when it meant missing the special event by over an hour)

Last, but certainly not least, WDW transportation sometimes has big problems (as do cars). Last spring, the monorail only ran a few hours each day. I'm not using hyperbole. It was a major pain. I've also been on buses where the driver got LOST! Yup! anohter time, we were at MK, but the driver would not pull up to a stop, and would not let us get off for quite some time.

Then again....I've also had the experience of missing a turn while driving around WDW. I've also had a car breakdown, and the police regularly have speed traps at WDW. (also near the airport) I could see how getting a ticket would taint someone's opinion.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #25
mum2four
DIS Veteran

We are one of those families who drive to WDW but leave the car in the resort parking lot all week.

The WDW transportation doesn't stress us out. We just relax and never really feel like we have to be anywhere at a specific time (other than our early CRT ADR which we may drive for). Also not dealing with car seats for a week is great!

We live in a small city and never use public transportation at home, so the bus/boat/monorail is like another attraction for our kids!

Even if we did fly down, we would need to rent a mini van or full size SUV, which would add a considerable cost to our vacation. I wish we could get by with a small, cheap rental, but that's my fault for having too many kids!
mum2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #26
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

We used to rent a car until the family grew too big to all fit in one car. We started taking the magical express when the family started adding spouses and children. We never used the rental car much anyway, except to pick up snacks on the way to the resort. Now we always take the ME, even when there is just two of us. It is a lot less of a hassle.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973

Last edited by Wood Nymph; 01-19-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

We also drive to WDW but leave the van parked for most of the trip. We do take our car to DtD because the buses seem to take forever. We drove to an ADR we were running late for once, and we just didn't care for it. I don't complain about the bis waits or crowds, though.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #28
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We usually rent a car. If we don't, then we take taxis. Most of the time we'll take a cab to and from wherever we're going. Sometimes we take a bus back to the resort.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
jmenjes
Mouseketeer

Simple reason I don't rent a car...I don't drive to begin with. Haven't tried to drive in well over 20 years now.

I live down the street from the Hollywood Amtrak station, so I take the bus or get a ride to the station. In Orlando, I use a town car service to get from the station to WDW.
Before 99 -- Lost count along the way
jmenjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsnn3 View Post
I certainly am not going to flame you. You're always free to ask whatever you want. Just don't expect much positive response. After a long drive to finally get there, frankly the last thing I am going to do is circle the parking lot looking for some out of the way spot in order to make someone else's parking easier. I'll take the first spot I see, and that will be it for the next week to 10 days.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: