Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
cdepauli
Briar Rose
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Harrisburg PA
Posts: 281

Is this wise? Airfare.

We are travelling from PA to Orlando or Tampa June 15-22. Originally, we planned to fly out of Harrisburg on Frontier and/or Allegiant but the times for the lower cost flights are terrible, so I've been looking at Southwest from BWI to either TPA or MCO.

Right now I can buy tickets one way for $94 to TPA at bad times. I am fairly confident that airfare for good times and to MCO will come down some, but I am also anxious that it won't since I can't actually predict the future.

I haven't traveled in a while (since summer 2011) so haven't been keeping up with airfare trends.

So here is my question. Is it a good idea to buy tickets now from Southewest at bad times and then change my itinerary when/if the price comes down? I know the rule of thumb is to buy about 7-8 weeks out if you don't book right when the itineraries are put out for the best price, but like I said, I have not been tracking airfare for quite some time.

Thanks for any input!!
__________________
June 15-22 2013 Bonnet Creek

DD's first trip July 26-Aug 1 2011 Bonnet Creek; June 19-26 2010 Bonnet Creek; May 15-18 2010 Off Site - with my mom's entire family; 2009 Food and Wine Festival October 10-13 CSR; AKL July 21-28 2009; Engaged June 29, 2007 at the California Grill; Disneymoon September 20-28 2008 POR; October 2007 Bonnet Creek; June 2007 Dolphin; November 2006 Dolphin; May 2006 Bonnet Creek; 2003 ASMu; 2001 Offsite; 1998 ASMu; 1996 Offsite with the marching band senior year
cdepauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!
 
dudspizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,657

I personally grab those fares if you can live with the flight times. Then watch like a hawk and make itinerary changes if the opportunity arises.....

Duds
__________________
dudspizza is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 47,913

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepauli View Post
We are travelling from PA to Orlando or Tampa June 15-22. Originally, we planned to fly out of Harrisburg on Frontier and/or Allegiant but the times for the lower cost flights are terrible, so I've been looking at Southwest from BWI to either TPA or MCO.

Right now I can buy tickets one way for $94 to TPA at bad times. I am fairly confident that airfare for good times and to MCO will come down some, but I am also anxious that it won't since I can't actually predict the future.

I haven't traveled in a while (since summer 2011) so haven't been keeping up with airfare trends.

So here is my question. Is it a good idea to buy tickets now from Southewest at bad times and then change my itinerary when/if the price comes down? I know the rule of thumb is to buy about 7-8 weeks out if you don't book right when the itineraries are put out for the best price, but like I said, I have not been tracking airfare for quite some time.

Thanks for any input!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudspizza View Post
I personally grab those fares if you can live with the flight times. Then watch like a hawk and make itinerary changes if the opportunity arises.....

Duds
I agree, $94 is a great fare these days. That's the beauty of SW, you can make changes without a charge. Don't forget to take into consideration transportation from TPA.
__________________
DebbieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
cdepauli
Briar Rose
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Harrisburg PA
Posts: 281

We always rent a car and have flown into TPA before. I, weirdly, enjoy the drive but do prefer not to have to do it, especially since we have a 2 year old now.
__________________
June 15-22 2013 Bonnet Creek

DD's first trip July 26-Aug 1 2011 Bonnet Creek; June 19-26 2010 Bonnet Creek; May 15-18 2010 Off Site - with my mom's entire family; 2009 Food and Wine Festival October 10-13 CSR; AKL July 21-28 2009; Engaged June 29, 2007 at the California Grill; Disneymoon September 20-28 2008 POR; October 2007 Bonnet Creek; June 2007 Dolphin; November 2006 Dolphin; May 2006 Bonnet Creek; 2003 ASMu; 2001 Offsite; 1998 ASMu; 1996 Offsite with the marching band senior year
cdepauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I agree, $94 is a great fare these days. That's the beauty of SW, you can make changes without a charge. Don't forget to take into consideration transportation from TPA.
Yes, but you will pay the difference in price if your new flight is more expensive.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire
 
Shelly F - Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lake Erie Shore Line in Ohio
Posts: 6,965

I would book the SWA flights and watch the flight prices. My flight from MCO to ClE went down $76 the day before I left so I rebooked and got the credit.

The travel from TPA is EASY. it takes 1 hour and 20 minutes and its a straight shot. Just allow extra time in case you are traveling during rush hour.

I love TPA it is such a calmer airport. Security takes about 5 minutes to get through!!!
__________________
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas-Please stand clear of the doors.


CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.