Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
wvaspartan
In Stitch's Kingdom

California Grill concept art

looks like the Puccini Group is doing the redesign... Talk about bland and lacking Deluxe Restaurant look of a venue. From color to full wall booths.

http://puccinigroup.com/project/conf...al-restaurant/
wvaspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

I like it. Not in love with the wood chairs. But the overall design is pleasing. The old color splash was very 1990 Spago. The new concept is much more in line with high end Californian restaurants of today. I like what they did at Fifth Floor, so I'm willing to see how this plays out.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

I think it looks great so far, but I have to see it first hand to really get a good judgement. As long as they don't change anything else but just the decor, I'll be happy. My family loves California Grill and we would be so disappointed if they got rid of some of our favorite dishes during this refurb.

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Aesthetically, I like it. My only qualm is with all the long benches that stretch along tables on the edges of the restaurant. I feel those make for tables that lack intimacy and privacy. I hope that in the final design there's still a lounge that offers seating where you don't feel like you're in a fishbowl.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: October 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1 View Post
I think it looks great so far, but I have to see it first hand to really get a good judgement. As long as they don't change anything else but just the decor, I'll be happy. My family loves California Grill and we would be so disappointed if they got rid of some of our favorite dishes during this refurb.
Well, since Chef Yoshie isn't coming back, I don't have a lot of hope that the sushi menu will stay the same, and that's a loss. I'm sure the other menus will change somewhat too, but as long as the cuisine itself is still similar I'll likely be happy.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: October 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

I think it looks nice! Can not wait till it is done!
2001 - Disney Cruise (Eastern)
2003 - Disney Cruise (Western)
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Trish.Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Those common dinner benches were all the rage beginning about 6-8 years ago. I thought by now restauranteurs would have realized that diners pretty much hate them. It feels like you're dining with the people on both sides of you and having dinner conversation is awkward.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Melissa View Post
Well, since Chef Yoshie isn't coming back, I don't have a lot of hope that the sushi menu will stay the same, and that's a loss. I'm sure the other menus will change somewhat too, but as long as the cuisine itself is still similar I'll likely be happy.
Oh say it ain't so!!!!!!!! I love Chef Yoshie, you are right....it will definitely be a loss. Too sad

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV View Post
Those common dinner benches were all the rage beginning about 6-8 years ago. I thought by now restauranteurs would have realized that diners pretty much hate them. It feels like you're dining with the people on both sides of you and having dinner conversation is awkward.
I suspect that's a cost-benefit thing... Think about Le Cellier. Guests often complain about the closeness of tables but every table is still full. Why not take the same approach to another very popular restaurant? I hate that style of seating too, but I'm not at all surprised to see it coming to California Grill. When a restaurant is booked solid as often as that place was it is only natural to try to pack in more tables.

Nothing about the concept art really wows me, but there's probably some pessimism there because Chef Yoshie was the main reason we loved California Grill and I can't imagine we'll enjoy it nearly as much in its new incarnation.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

I like how it says "Restaurant (Confidential)", yet you can see Space Mountain and the castle in the windows

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping
I like how it says "Restaurant (Confidential)", yet you can see Space Mountain and the castle in the windows
Ya, that's confidential alright. LMAO!!!! pretty funny.

I think the new design is nice. But I was hoping for something more. I guess i will have to see it in person to judge.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

I have to agree with the OP, I am not overly "wowed" with the look based on the photos; it looks just ok to me. I wonder what Robert Irvine and 10K could do to this place.

(With that said, I will still be certain to make an ADR for my Nov/Dec trip).

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

I also have problems with those long benches. They just don't seem right for a signature restaurant. With that configuration you really don't feel like you have your own table and other diners have to squeeze past your table to get in and out. Real pleasant when you are eating your dinner. Just what I want, someone's derrière about 1 inch from my food.

I'm also not a fan of the colors though will wait to see about that one. My first reaction is that they aren't rich enough for one of Disney's leading restaurants.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #14
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV View Post
Restaurants love the row of two tops because they can become tables for four (or six) very easily. Often times (and this was the case with the CG before), two tops are spread around the perimeter or interior of the restaurant and are hard to reconfigure. To convert to a four top, (if there is even room), you have to move both tables and chairs. When the tables are in a row, you slide one table over 20 inches and move one chair. Boom! Two twos become a four. And you know there will be room. Yes, diners don't favor this setup. But people aren't going to walk out of the restaurant if seated there. Also, this area is more likely to be a kid-free zone since the set-up is a series of two tops. Can't put a family of seven in there.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Why do I have the feeling that if they can screw up what was a good thing--they will???
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trips--Old Key West on 4/26/14--will be trip #60 to WDW!! Next a Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: