Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #196
eyor44
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting the links. The spreadsheet works great.
eyor44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #197
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I'm having a bunch of issues with the spreadsheet.

- The calculated cost of the dining plan in the spreadsheet I downloaded is incorrect. The cost the spreadsheet is showing is about $70 lower than what I'm actually paying for the dining plan for our upcoming trip.

- When I compare the costs for the meals to the calculator on www.distripplanner.com, they're rather different.

- The spreadsheet doesn't have options for things like the Candlelight Processional Package or Gaston's Tavern.

- The spreadsheet is listing dinners at some signature restaurants as either breakfast or lunch, and showing prices that are much lower than I believe they should be, even when I change the cost estimate to "High"

The version I downloaded says it was last updated in February. Is there a newer version? If so, could someone point me to where it is? I think the spreadsheet is awesome, but the one I have is outdated, so I can't rely on the numbers.

Thanks!
Autumnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #198
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnslight View Post
I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I'm having a bunch of issues with the spreadsheet.

- The calculated cost of the dining plan in the spreadsheet I downloaded is incorrect. The cost the spreadsheet is showing is about $70 lower than what I'm actually paying for the dining plan for our upcoming trip.

- When I compare the costs for the meals to the calculator on www.distripplanner.com, they're rather different.

- The spreadsheet doesn't have options for things like the Candlelight Processional Package or Gaston's Tavern.

- The spreadsheet is listing dinners at some signature restaurants as either breakfast or lunch, and showing prices that are much lower than I believe they should be, even when I change the cost estimate to "High"

The version I downloaded says it was last updated in February. Is there a newer version? If so, could someone point me to where it is? I think the spreadsheet is awesome, but the one I have is outdated, so I can't rely on the numbers.

Thanks!
Ditto. The spreadsheet is awesome...but not updated. It's very easy to figure out the cost of the dining plan. And the current or even 2014 costs are just not comparable. The cost of paying OOP is more complicated to figure out but when I took the time to figure it out on my own, it too was very different from what the spreadsheet was showing. So, if we can get an updated version then it's great. If not, it's not worth using.
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #199
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

We just returned and did not do the DDP. We bought a TIW card that is good until next November so we will be able to use it next October as well.

I will have a report later today or tomorrow with the difference.

We are a family of 5 with 3 "adults" and 2 children.

One thing we found was that we weren't eating as much. We rarely had a dessert with QS meals. We bought bottles of water because it was so hot the whole time we were there. My husband lost 5 lbs in the 12 days we were there. Not as much eating and not as much sweet stuff.

We did breakfasts at Chef Mickeys, Tusker House, Swan's Grand Garden and Boma.
Lunch at Tonys
Suppers at Sci Fi, Rainforest Cafe, and The Land (Chip 'n' Dale).

We ate one meal at a restaurant out of the parks.

Last edited by KiKi Mouse; 10-26-2013 at 02:13 PM.
KiKi Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #200
DisneyMommy9
Mouseketeer

Crunched the numbers and the difference was less than 15.00 for me and my son (7). I believe I will do oop this next trip and see how it goes.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #201
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuts View Post

When I was a little more conservative with snacks, appetizers, and used the average priced option, OOP was about $130 cheaper. For that little of a difference, DH agreed that we would probably just stick with the DDP. The convenience of just using credits is worth it to us. I think if we were doing OOP I would be scrutinizing every meal, every price, every last snack that we bought to make sure we got the best value for our dollar. I don't want to have to be stressing about that at WDW.

But I seem to be in the minority anymore.
I would think I would be more scrutinizing if I paid for the dining plan to make sure I am gettign my money worth. Doing the math I figured I needed to spend a 15-20 for my counter and 35-40 and 5 bucks for a snack, by doing the math I didnt even come close to those amounts.
Eating at Earl of Sandwich and Sleepy Hallow for a spicy chicken sandwich doesnt even come to 10 bucks and we did not do desserts with every meal. Some meals I wanted an appetizer instead of the entree (T-rex)
and most of those I didnt want the dessert.

I am way ahead by paying OOP even with including tax

So dining plan plan would cost me 770 for 2 people. I put 800. on a gift card to pay for dining and and tips. Its like prepaying but i can order anything i want
Old 10-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #202
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

The DDP would have cost our family $2413.08 for 12 nights.

We ate OOP and spent $1681.01
This number includes some beer and wine. It also includes the gratuity. When you use a TIW card it automatically adds a 18% gratuity.

Difference of $732.07

See my post above for the TS restaurants we ate at.

Last edited by KiKi Mouse; 10-26-2013 at 02:18 PM.
KiKi Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #203
NotThatKevinSmith
Earning My Ears

For those who use this spreadsheet it was updated today. First time in about 2 years. Takes a ton of time to update. Sorry about the delay.
NotThatKevinSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #204
MrsUqdah
Mouseketeer

Just used the updating dining calculator and it shows that I would save about $400....sounds good to me THANKS
MrsUqdah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #205
Shaden
DIS Veteran

LOVE this tool. Shows we will save around $800 by Paying OOP, and doesn't include out TiW either ...
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #206
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatKevinSmith View Post
For those who use this spreadsheet it was updated today. First time in about 2 years. Takes a ton of time to update. Sorry about the delay.
Awesome! I'm off to download it. I know Excel, so I can imagine how much time it would take to update. Can't wait to try it again. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #207
MrsUqdah
Mouseketeer

Still saving about $400 with the deluxe dining plan...and that without a discount applied! #WINNING
MrsUqdah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #208
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsUqdah View Post
Still saving about $400 with the deluxe dining plan...and that without a discount applied! #WINNING
Just curious how you are saving money by going on the dining plan.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #209
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi Mouse View Post
Just curious how you are saving money by going on the dining plan.
I've run a bunch of different scenarios, and found that usually if you have children 3-9 years old, plan mostly table service meals, especially at more expensive restaurants, and tend to order a lot of appetizers, then the regular or deluxe dining plan will usually save you money over paying OOP.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #210
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnslight View Post

... tend to order a lot of appetizers, then the regular or deluxe dining plan will usually save you money over paying OOP
maybe the Deluxe, but how does ordering a lot of appetizers on the regular dining plan save you money vs OOP?
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: