Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Downtown Disney Wyndham (Formerly Grosvenor)

I booked the Downtown Disney Wyndham through Last Minute Travel at a really great price. I was wondering if anyone has stayed there lately and if anyone has experience with Last Minute Travel? We stayed at the Wyndham years ago when it was The Grosvenor and we actually loved it because we liked being across the street from DTD. I know it's changed hands a couple times since and it is now the Wyndham. We are only staying there 2 nights before our cruise, so I wasn't as picky as I would have been if we were staying longer. I'm just really concerned that it is clean and not a total dump as some much older reviews said it was.

I know the resort fee for the Wyndham is $16 a night, but when I booked it with Last Minute Travel the site listed the resort fee at $6 a night, plus local taxes. I called LMT and asked about this and she said the local taxes are just added for the $6 resort fee...it sounded a little fishy to me, does that sound right? I can't decide if this a sneaky way not to come out and say "it's not $16 a night, it's $6 plus local taxes"...(which really comes to $16) I know it doesn't sound like much, but I booked 3 rooms, so it would be $16 times 3, times 2 nights and that adds up.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
MarthaJr.
DIS Veteran

Have you checked tripadvisor.com for reviews? I was checking out this hotel too, but decided not to book because it sounds like the people who get tower rooms are very pleased, however those getting the "motel" type rooms are not. I would be sure to call and see which type of room you'll be placed in and ask if they will be charging any additional fees on top of what you've been quoted.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

We have stayed here a couple times in the past and love the Wyndham Lake Buena Vista hotel. It is right across the street from DTD. The poster above me is right in that, if you stay inside the actual hotel, they call it "The tower" it is wonderful. The exterior rooms kind of like a motel, are not updated and have a weird smell. Overall, the hotel is nice. My kids LOVE the pool they have, it's very nice. There is also a bar located right near the pool. This is a lovely hotel, but I do feel that you get a completely different experience if you stay in the exterior rooms.
purpledisneyprncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

I also wanted to add that if you sign up to be a "Wyndham rewards member" which is free to sign up, the resort fee you pay is 50% off which turns out to be $8. I think local taxes, etc are mandatory and not a sneaky fee. They can not legally charge you a certain amount on taxes and it be any other fee. I think it's safe to say if they say the taxes are X amount, then they really are. You should ask them to explain and break it down to you each fee that they charge, not including taxes.
purpledisneyprncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me
I booked the Downtown Disney Wyndham through Last Minute Travel at a really great price. I was wondering if anyone has stayed there lately and if anyone has experience with Last Minute Travel? We stayed at the Wyndham years ago when it was The Grosvenor and we actually loved it because we liked being across the street from DTD. I know it's changed hands a couple times since and it is now the Wyndham. We are only staying there 2 nights before our cruise, so I wasn't as picky as I would have been if we were staying longer. I'm just really concerned that it is clean and not a total dump as some much older reviews said it was.

I know the resort fee for the Wyndham is $16 a night, but when I booked it with Last Minute Travel the site listed the resort fee at $6 a night, plus local taxes. I called LMT and asked about this and she said the local taxes are just added for the $6 resort fee...it sounded a little fishy to me, does that sound right? I can't decide if this a sneaky way not to come out and say "it's not $16 a night, it's $6 plus local taxes"...(which really comes to $16) I know it doesn't sound like much, but I booked 3 rooms, so it would be $16 times 3, times 2 nights and that adds up.
Either the $6 fee is a typo or lmt customers pay less. Bring your confirm. Insist on paying what you were told by lmt
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Either the $6 fee is a typo or lmt customers pay less. Bring your confirm. Insist on paying what you were told by lmt
Stayed here in November. Great location. Hotel NEEDS total updating. pm me if you like.
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
I called LMT and specifically asked about the resort fee, she told me it is $6 plus any local taxes on the $6 fee. It also states $6 on the confirmation they emailed me, so I will be sure to bring that with me.

I got 3 rooms for 2 nights for $487 total with tax, best deal I found anywhere. Even BookIt, who I usually use, quoted me over $700.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote