Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #46
danygirl
Mouseketeer

Child support is not something to run and reduce.
danygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #47
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite607 View Post
Nope, one child who is 12. Not old enough for a job. I consider myself pretty frugal already, I use coupons and combine errands to save money, etc. I just wonder if I should start stocking up on food or things like that. I have no idea but while I have the money coming in, I would like to prepare as much as possible.
Actually I would start budgeting according to the low # and save the rest.

Having an extra 1200$ is way better than a full basement of groceries.

Can he/pick up a summer gig doing something else. Nannying? sports camps? waitressing? I would try that route too. If he is a teacher, I imagine there are a few hours a week he could pick up with a part time job.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #48
allison443
DIS Veteran

Since you made your first post about this in January, what were you guys able to do to account for the upcoming layoff? Did either of you get summer jobs like teaching summer school, etc.? Was your dh able to get the other possible coaching job he was looking for (I think you said junior high?)
Hopefully you took some of the steps that were discussed.
I definitely suggest looking at refinancing. Look around though because some places may have low or no closing costs while some have higher costs.

Good luck with the situation and sorry you are going through this.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #49
Jridou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
I'm not a big one for stockpiling food either. Last spring I brought home some dog treats.

Well, apparently there were moths in the dog treats. They got out and I had to go through my kitchen and throw away anything grain based that was not wrapped in foil. Those moths got through cardboard AND plastic. EVERYTHING. Cereal, quinoa, flax seed, oat bran, flour, cornmeal, sugar etc. I even found some in a package of COFFEE!

If we'd been on a close budget it would've been devastating!
DITTO ! We lost hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of frozen food when the power went out for 10 days after the derecho last summer. Now if I buy a large pack of meat, I may freeze half but won't buy more meat til that's used up. My stockpiling days are OVER and quite honestly my grocery bill is about the same.
Jridou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #50
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite607 View Post
I know this is an old thread I am reviving but........now he has lost the softball job as well! The athletic director never liked him and has been determined to get him out for a few years and now he finally has. He gave some BS reasons, none of which are true or reasons to be fired but I digress........so we are talking about the $3000 bonus check and about $500 a month. If I was not worried before, I am now!!

Sorry you are going through this. Based on your budget stuff before, I would cut out all eating out now. You said you still have $200 you normally spend on that. It is perfectly doable especially with more time on dh's hands to not eat out. Coaching is a big time commitment. While losing the money is tough, time is now back in your favor. We are doing a big cut back right now too, dh switched to a job that makes 30k less a year. We have no cable (roku) I'm looking at cutting our gas,electric, and water bills through conservation, insulation etc (some of it not immediately economical, but long term) . I have a substantial garden. (was a hobby , but we expanded this year with more things we eat a lot of, or are expensive) We joined a CSA for other veggies, not always a money saver, but for us it is. I make homemade cleaners. Cut back on the amount of clothing/toys/etc. I buy the kids. But they do have earning opportunties to get their own things. We're also cutting back on some of our long term savings like college to have a bigger short term cushion for when there are house repairs/car repairs etc. EVERYTHING I purchase has some thought behind it... first do we need it? can I substitute something cheaper or something I have on hand? is it on sale? , at the best price? I coupon a little, and buy a discounted gift cards to pay for a lot of things. I make most of our food from scratch too. With a little planning it doesn't take much more time, is healthier and much cheaper. I think it is easier if you view half as a spending problem, (ditch the eating out and trim the grocery budget a tiny bit and you are already there) and half as an earning problem. Tutoring either independantly or through a company that does it, coaching, camp, running kid's activities through community college programs or your town all great options for a teacher looking to earn a little more. Also think about where other seasonal employment opportunities are where you live. Could dh lifeguard,bartend, run a lawn mowing/pool cleaning or some other service?
As far as the child support I'm surprised you have to pay for a 19 year old child in PART TIME community college. I normally would be the first one up in arms about you suggesting to reduce the payments, but honestly paying at all seems a little ridiculous. My kids live with me and I certainly wouldn't support them financially if they were just attending school part time with no jobs. Of course getting that sort of thing changed can cost more than the benefits... but might be time for dh and his ex to give the kid a kick in the pants regardless.
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #51
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

So sorry this happened. A couple things come to mind...

you mentioned refinancing? I would do it NOW before his paycheck changes. If you have a 15 year, consider going to 20, etc..

Call your insurance companies...car and home. Can they raise the deductible and lower monthly payment.

Cancel home phone if you both have cell phones. Cancel or drop to basic cable.

Plan out every meal and try to stretch them. Cook a large chicken or roast, etc.. and make it last for three meals.

Craigslist anything you want to get rid of.

Part time jobs? Evenings or weekends? Babysit, waitress, etc.?

Hope things turn around quickly for you!!!
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #52
2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

I agree w/ other posters .. start living on the reduced income NOW and use the difference to pad your emergency fund/savings.

This will be hard, esp, if you already live frugally. Your best bet is to write out ALL your monthly bills in order of importance. don't forget the bills that don't come up monthly as you need to "plan" a montly amt for that. so you have the $ when it does come up. At the top put how much money you expect (on his new salary) then go down the line. Pay what you can until you run out of money. Anything you are not able to pay you have a choice... either eliminate it or find a way to generate extra income to cover it. If it were me, I would start in May living off the "new" income and put every extra cent towards my savings. Good Luck OP, it's a hard place to be in, and I hope it turns around soon for you.

DH ME
DS#1 13 DS#2 10

Lots of Magical Memories between 1999 - 2012
Maybe another visit in 2013 ? I can only hope!
2disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #53
malibuconlee
OOH - I think I've finally figured out the multi-quote feature!
Don't forget to get your drink of water from the "Fountain of Youth!!"

Haven't read all the responses, but what about a different summer job for your husband?

In the small town I grew up in one teacher I had well he worked at a factor over the summer for extra money. Another teacher, I worked with his wife and he worked construction work over the summer. Both were seasonal temp jobs and it worked out well for their families.

malibuconlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #54
SnowWhite607
DIS Veteran

For the person who asked for an update, here it is:

He got a jr high football coaching job, but it is about half of what he made last year and in the previous years coaching football. He also has been searching for other coaching jobs and may have another softball job as an assistant. This will still pay cut nevertheless. He was making 17% extra of his salary last year, next year it could be as little as 7% or up to 11%, we just dont know yet. But a 10% pay cut equals, after taxes, etc about $400-500 a month.

I have started working a teaching job while someone was out with her new baby. March - May, so I will make between 5K and 6K and that will be our "padding" when we need it. I also have some tutoring jobs lined up so hopefully we can start that soon. DH has looked into refereeing some little league games here in the summer and is still waiting to see if they have any openings or if maybe he can be used in a substitute capacity. I have started couponing and we are eating out less, although it is super hard when you go to work at 8 and dont get home till 5 or after to then get in the kitchen and whip up a meal (although I know I am not the only one in this situation!) I try to use the crockpot a few times a week........

We set the thermostat up a few degrees and use fans, or down a few degrees and just put on a sweater. More careful about turning off lights or electronics when not being used. Its slow going but it will come I suppose. Thanks for all the comments!
1976-offsite, 1985-offsite, April 1986-AS Sports, 1990 - AS Sports, Dec 1998 - AS Sports, June 2005 with DD for the first time - AS Music, July 2006 - Caribbean Beach/Coronado Springs, July 2007 Poly, June 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge/Grand Floridian, Feb 2009 - Pop! June 2009 - Beach Club, March 2011 -Pop! June 2012 - Port Orleans FQ, March 2014 - Mother Daughter trip - POFQ, November 2014 - POFQ
SnowWhite607 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: