Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #31
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Wow, you ate out to the tune of *over $500* in November alone? You are afraid of having your house foreclosed on if you lose approx. $600 mo. income?

Sounds like you have some serious budgeting issues if you have been eating out with that kind of money. I doubt seriously that this is the only area that money is flowing so freely. I would cut the *eating out* completely. We have been in a pinch before, but we only had one paycheck and two children - we certainly weren't eating out. I can make lots of good, nutritious meals for $500 mo.

Depends, really, on what you are willing to do to get things in hand. You have to really be serious about wanting to do it. When you are spending that much, it will probably be very hard to get *child support* payments lowered any.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #32
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

OP, your budget should only be generated with your and DH's salary from your teaching jobs. The "extra" jobs should not be included in your budget.

Getting a coaching job one year does not guarantee it the next year. I am having a hard time seeing how this is a layoff. You and DH both have your full time jobs and he did not get his part time job that he has to apply for each year.

Some teaching jobs pay you over 12 months while others pay you for the months you actually worked. If you are paid the later way, you need to put away money during those months to have money during the summer.

I agree with North.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #33
ktrask
Mouseketeer

If our husband is a coach have him dart contacting AAU programs in your area. My husband is an AAU baseball coach and is paid for the coaching.
ktrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #34
diznee25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
This is something someone on the budget board posted a few years ago that I've never really followed up on - I saved the link in case I ever needed to earn some pin money or just got that nostalgic for teaching. (Actually, I'm about there some days!)

These are the people that give the SATs, I think, and also do a lot of testing - they use remote scorers. If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know.

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/pa...ut/careers.htm
I just looked into the Professional Scorer jobs, and they require a 4 year degree....regardless whether you work from home or at a facility. I don't have a 4 year degree.

Just an FYI for anyone interested.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #35
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

If you are both teachers, can you tutor? The going rate will depend on where you live. Around here it's about $30/hr. Where my sister lives it's at least $50.

Could either of you find work teaching adjunct courses at a community college?

I wouldn't bother stockpiling food, I'd rather keep the money in the bank. As a pp noted, you can't pay bills in stockpiled food. Eat fewer meat based meals and cut out the junk.
Pigeon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #36
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I'm not a big one for stockpiling food either. Last spring I brought home some dog treats.

Well, apparently there were moths in the dog treats. They got out and I had to go through my kitchen and throw away anything grain based that was not wrapped in foil. Those moths got through cardboard AND plastic. EVERYTHING. Cereal, quinoa, flax seed, oat bran, flour, cornmeal, sugar etc. I even found some in a package of COFFEE!

If we'd been on a close budget it would've been devastating!
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #37
averysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite607 View Post
Thank you for the replies. I will attempt to answer a few questions.

Hubby has a cell phone that runs about $45 - $50 a month. I have a Tracfone that I add minutes to when needed (once every 3 months or so I guess).

A few months ago I looked at our eating out - we spent over $500 in November! So we have cut that down but are still spending about $200 a month.

Now obviously if we took a $600+ monthly pay cut, we would petition to get the child support down (I know, not gonna be very popular with some people here at the Dis Boards but if we dont have it, we dont have it). We pay about $700 a month in child support so if we could even get that reduced a couple hundred, that would help.

We are in South Louisiana, close to New Orleans for the person who asked. And yes, we have Angel Food boxes.

He never works during the summer but all the idea about some sort of camp are good ones. He has actually thought about doing that for softball before since he is a softball coach as well. He gets a paycheck during the summer but I do not. However we will be okay until July, I think thats when his pay is reduced.

He said the promise of a new job looks good but it will still be a couple hundred bucks a month less than what we have now.

I like the pantry stock up idea as well!
Be careful with the child support thing... my friend's ex-husband just took a pay cut and took her to court to get the support reduced... it cost him over $3000 in court costs because he had to pay her fees too, and his payments went down $29.00 a month. Make sure you do some seriously checking into this before your proceed... it may not be worth it! I doubt they'll cut your support by almost 30% (200 dollars less from 700) from a 6000/yr pay cut.

averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #38
AJ1983
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom View Post
Be careful with the child support thing... my friend's ex-husband just took a pay cut and took her to court to get the support reduced... it cost him over $3000 in court costs because he had to pay her fees too, and his payments went down $29.00 a month. Make sure you do some seriously checking into this before your proceed... it may not be worth it! I doubt they'll cut your support by almost 30% (200 dollars less from 700) from a 6000/yr pay cut.
I live in Canada, and we have recalculation clauses in our child support agreements. The paying parent submits their income for the previous year to the child support enforcement office once a year, and if their income has changed, the child support is increased or decreased automatically. Then, nobody has to go to court each time they need a variation. There are also websites for people to determine their support, based on their income, prior to entering the court and incurring costs. Again, in Canada, there are websites such as mysupportcalculator.ca to assist people to see if its worth fighting over. Like you said, $3,000 vs. saving $360 over the year doesn't really seem worth it.

In this case of the OP, in Canada your support would be lowered from 700 to 644-$56 reduction.

In the case of pp, it sounds like your friend got stuck with her bill because his application was unnecessary, and therefore the judge felt she shouldn't have had to pay a lawyer for him filing such a silly claim -$29 indeed!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #39
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

First I am in NYS. When my husband was laid off and on unemployment the judge refused to reduce his child support. So I would think hard on that. His extra income should not have been even included in his child support. You may want to recheck his amount versus earnings.

At $667.00 per month for one child the reduction would only be $113.00 per month or approximately $25.00 per week. Since it is supplementary income, it would be denied here. I did a Louisiana calculator and it stated $136.00 for the amount of $667.00.

During a modification both parents incomes (mom and dad) are looked at. If your husband's ex makes quite a bit less, expect to be denied. Also if your reduction in income is not great than 20% some state will not even accept it.

Just some things for thought. I also can't see where if you spend $500.00 a month in eating out how a reduction of just a bit over $100.00 is going to put you in foreclosure.

I truly hope all works out, but it looks like the fat out of the budget is going to happen in your house, not the ex's. Good luck!!!!
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #40
SnowWhite607
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
OP, your budget should only be generated with your and DH's salary from your teaching jobs. The "extra" jobs should not be included in your budget.

Getting a coaching job one year does not guarantee it the next year. I am having a hard time seeing how this is a layoff. You and DH both have your full time jobs and he did not get his part time job that he has to apply for each year.

Some teaching jobs pay you over 12 months while others pay you for the months you actually worked. If you are paid the later way, you need to put away money during those months to have money during the summer.

I agree with North.

Coaching is not a part time job that he just got. When you coach in my state, the amount is figured into your paycheck and you get it all at once. Like you get a certain percentage depending on the sport and your position - head baseball coach makes an additional 8% of his salary, gold coach makes an additional 5% or whatever. It is then added into your yearly salary, divided by 12 and paid to you monthly in one lump sum.

This was a job he had done for the past 15 years.
1976-offsite, 1985-offsite, April 1986-AS Sports, 1990 - AS Sports, Dec 1998 - AS Sports, June 2005 with DD for the first time - AS Music, July 2006 - Caribbean Beach/Coronado Springs, July 2007 Poly, June 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge/Grand Floridian, Feb 2009 - Pop! June 2009 - Beach Club, March 2011 -Pop! June 2012 - Port Orleans FQ, March 2014 - Mother Daughter trip - POFQ, November 2014 - POFQ
SnowWhite607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
SnowWhite607
DIS Veteran

I know this is an old thread I am reviving but........now he has lost the softball job as well! The athletic director never liked him and has been determined to get him out for a few years and now he finally has. He gave some BS reasons, none of which are true or reasons to be fired but I digress........so we are talking about the $3000 bonus check and about $500 a month. If I was not worried before, I am now!!
1976-offsite, 1985-offsite, April 1986-AS Sports, 1990 - AS Sports, Dec 1998 - AS Sports, June 2005 with DD for the first time - AS Music, July 2006 - Caribbean Beach/Coronado Springs, July 2007 Poly, June 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge/Grand Floridian, Feb 2009 - Pop! June 2009 - Beach Club, March 2011 -Pop! June 2012 - Port Orleans FQ, March 2014 - Mother Daughter trip - POFQ, November 2014 - POFQ
Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #42
Mad4Mickey
All SINGLE Firemen have a MARRIED wife at home
Well loved by the Tagliarchy
It makes me wonder who is in charge of the yellow stickers

I am taking a 45% pay cut next year in March and I know its coming but it doesnt make it less scary : )

My Dh is making me do a program by Dave Ramsey ..... Its not easy but I am making it work . I just started it a couple of months ago and I am on track to even have my only credit card paid off in a few more months . I read every thread on here when it comes to saving money and I was already a coupon freak . Listen to what most of the people say on this board and try to apply what you can to your life . Not all the stuff on here will work for me but I sure try what I think will .

This is my choice to change jobs so not like what you are being put through but I understand what you are going through .
Mad4Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #43
SnowWhite607
DIS Veteran

Thanks Mad.......it IS scary. We have all been walking around this weekend kind of in shock and disbelief. I mean, this was a job he had done well for 15 years and to be let go with no warning whatsoever......was never told "you need to _____" or we will look for someone else.......it was all about fundraising. He didnt raise enough money apparently. Never was told he even needed to. So we think it was a bogus firing. However, we are still in the same boat. And found out the house payment is going up about $150 dollars starting in June.

My parents refinanced their house a few months ago so I am going to talk to them about what is involved with that. It may be an option we need to look into. And we have some savings to fall back on if need be. I just hate it that when we finally think we can get ahead and start saving some for college, retirement, get some life insurance, etc then something happens and we are back to square 1.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #44
turnlisa
DIS Veteran

I lost my job last year and I was the higher paid of the 2 of us. It cut our income in half. I found out in June and was finally let go at the end of July. Some things we did:
  • Consolidated our cell phones onto one plan - this saved us $60 a month
  • Shopped around for ways to cut down our internet/phone/DirecTV. We discovered by switching companies and consolidating we saved $70 a month.
  • Coupons, coupons, coupons! I clipped like never before and saved over $40 a week in coupons.
  • Cut out all dining out. We cut it entirely and saved over $400 a month.
  • Get on a budget and stick to it - start early. We started a budget as soon as I found out and stuck to it. Anything we had to do to stick to it we did it.
  • Get your kids buy-in! This is very important. My kids started to realized that money doesn't grow on trees.

We were very lucky that I was only laid off from August 1st through November. I found another job that was tons better than the old one - less hours, more pay, better life/work balance. Things are so much better but if you had asked me in July of last year I was all doom and gloom. After all I had been there for 17 years. Almost a year later and it was the best thing that could have happened to us. Keep your head up - good things could be right around the corner! I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason!

turnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #45
danygirl
Mouseketeer

If he can't coach, can he get paid to be an official at the hs level or pop Warner level? Might make up a lot of that income.

Also, around here there are plenty of hs sports to coach, and coaching skills transfer from sport to sport. A good coach is a good coach. Look into other sports. Football is not the only sport out there.

I would use coupons to stock up but only on the super cheap deals. You can't buy gas with macaroni, so focus on saving.

Good luck
danygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: