Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
msmama
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,809

Sell me on a moderate resort!

I'm a Disney vet. Usually I go for the value resorts, but have stayed at Deluxe and CBR many many years ago (as a college student).

What is the appeal of the moderates?

To me the obvious appeal of a value is the cheapness, and I like the convenience of the Deluxe, but what's the selling point of a Mod?

(Son's birthday trip got out of hand and I'm planning for my son and I, ex-husband, my mother AND ex's parents. Trying to please everyone is...difficult, lol).
__________________
The little dude and Me

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
nessz79
DIS Veteran
 
nessz79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 2,863

We have only done CBR as a moderate, but this is what we like about it compared to Values:

*Better pools with a slide
*A TS restaurant in addition to CS, in case we want to use TS but not leave the resort
*Better landscaping, prettier surroundings
*Lots of places to walk and my DH appreciates jogging trails
*Recreational Rentals- bikes, boats, etc.
*Nicer rooms (though CBR is still lacking queen size beds!)
*Tends to be quieter and more relaxed in general

We still use Values relatively often.

Another great value is the Swan and Dolphin. It is almost at a moderate price (and if you are a teacher or nurse, much more so) and you get a Deluxe experience. If you love the Epcot resort area, this should be a definite consideration.
__________________
Me DH DS (11) DS (10)
nessz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
DLB
DIS Veteran
 
DLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northwestern CT
Posts: 788

Hot tub!!!' That is why I upgrade to moderate.
__________________
DLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
pjhootch
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 322

The standard moderate rooms are a little bigger and feel more spacious. Most have queen beds now I believe and coffee pots in the room. The mods have hot tub/spas out by the main pool area. Clearly, not a selling point in July or August, but really nice after a long day in the parks in cool weather. In general, there are also more food choices at the moderate resorts.

In other words, they are just a bit more comfortable depending on the person, and your traveling style.
pjhootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran
 
DizDaD7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern ,New Jersey
Posts: 2,033

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmama View Post
I'm a Disney vet. Usually I go for the value resorts, but have stayed at Deluxe and CBR many many years ago (as a college student).

What is the appeal of the moderates?

To me the obvious appeal of a value is the cheapness, and I like the convenience of the Deluxe, but what's the selling point of a Mod?

(Son's birthday trip got out of hand and I'm planning for my son and I, ex-husband, my mother AND ex's parents. Trying to please everyone is...difficult, lol).
To me its a combo of both a value and a deluxe. Not as much in your face as a value but very nice feature pools with slides like the deluxe. Food court as well as a restaurant and lounge. Also price is very affordable. And comfy queen beds.
To me hands down CSR is best mod. We call it a deluxe lite.[U]
Click here. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...71&postcount=8[\U]
__________________

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
To me its a combo of both a value and a deluxe. Not as much in your face as a value but very nice feature pools with slides like the deluxe. Food court as well as a restaurant and lounge. Also price is very affordable. And comfy queen beds.
To me hands down CSR is best mod. We call it a deluxe lite.[U]
Click here. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...71&postcount=8[\U]
Totally agree about CSR
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,786

Love POR mansion section.
Queen beds
More room
Double sinks
Nicer rooms
Beautiful landscaping
Hot tub
Boat to DTD
Quieter, more relaxed then values
Great food court
Evening entertainment
Horse & carriage rides
Coffee maker!!!!!
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise
 
disney1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,141

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLB View Post
Hot tub!!!' That is why I upgrade to moderate.
This is my major reason for choosing a moderate -- HOT TUB. I actually like think the Values have a much better choice of food in their food courts.
__________________
Life is a Journey – remember to appreciate everyday -- be happy for this moment...this moment is your life



disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
carrie1626
DIS Veteran
 
carrie1626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 2,423

The prices of Deluxes are outrageous.
I afforded only after booking during Value and Regular season and with "free dining" also, I had alot of $$ on my Disney Rewards Visa. Splitting the cost of the room with my adult sister helped too. So with all those things coming together it was very very affordable.

It will be MOD for me next time.
__________________
I wish I were at WDW everyday
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran
 
disneybliss2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,326

I was surprised by how much the moderates offered compared to the values. Truly, it's something you have to experience (at least for me) to see for yourself. You can see all the differences on paper (or computer in this case) but truly, for us, it took experiencing it to understand.
It took one time at a moderate to sell me on never returning to a value. We have also stayed deluxe once, and while we absolutely loved it and would make it our first choice again, it would have to be with a great discount to justify the additional charge. However, I would stay at a mod over a value without blinking an eye for the additional charge--totally worth the additional fee (to us).
Here's what we like better about the mods:
1. The mod we stayed at (POFQ) was SO much quieter and calmer. It set such a peaceful atmosphere that allowed us to relax after a long day at the park. It was also so much quieter that my children were able to sleep better. At the previous value (Pop) we had stayed at a couple of times, we always struggled with hearing people running, laughing, etc. by our room routinely until late hours. With young children, that was always an aggravation because it was hard to get them to sleep with all of the noise.
2. The pool slide was a plus with my kids.
3. Atmosphere was more appealing. While Pop was fun, it was also overwhelming to the senses after a full day at the parks.
4. MUCH better transportation (I know this could vary, but in our experience, it was much better--timing and consistency of buses & added service of boat at POFQ or POR)
5. Less crowded (at least comparing POFQ to Pop)
6. More room and bigger beds.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Robbi
DIS Veteran
 
Robbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,694

I like CSR as much as CR and more than the Poly.
On other threads, I've mentioned going to Disney's website or googling unofficial fill in the blank resort sites. You can see tons of pictures that might help you make your decision.
This site for instance has videos of resorts and the rooms:
http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/ASP/...r#.UPYJFmeyn0g
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
arfisher12
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western PA
Posts: 72

The only reason why i stay at moderates is the hot tub. K know its silly but my feet need it after a long day in the park. My favorite is por French quarter. Beautiful grounds and a boat to dtd


Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
arfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #13
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybliss2 View Post
I was surprised by how much the moderates offered compared to the values. Truly, it's something you have to experience (at least for me) to see for yourself. You can see all the differences on paper (or computer in this case) but truly, for us, it took experiencing it to understand.
It took one time at a moderate to sell me on never returning to a value. We have also stayed deluxe once, and while we absolutely loved it and would make it our first choice again, it would have to be with a great discount to justify the additional charge. However, I would stay at a mod over a value without blinking an eye for the additional charge--totally worth the additional fee (to us).
Here's what we like better about the mods:
1. The mod we stayed at (POFQ) was SO much quieter and calmer. It set such a peaceful atmosphere that allowed us to relax after a long day at the park. It was also so much quieter that my children were able to sleep better. At the previous value (Pop) we had stayed at a couple of times, we always struggled with hearing people running, laughing, etc. by our room routinely until late hours. With young children, that was always an aggravation because it was hard to get them to sleep with all of the noise.
2. The pool slide was a plus with my kids.
3. Atmosphere was more appealing. While Pop was fun, it was also overwhelming to the senses after a full day at the parks.
4. MUCH better transportation (I know this could vary, but in our experience, it was much better--timing and consistency of buses & added service of boat at POFQ or POR)
5. Less crowded (at least comparing POFQ to Pop)
6. More room and bigger beds.
__________________
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
cmhguy
Mouseketeer
 
cmhguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 269

I enjoyed our stay at Pops, and it would likely be our first go-to choice. We don't spend a lot of time in the room, and we'd rather put our budget on other things than a room. A deluxe isn't something we would pay for.

The biggest reason we went POR over PoP for this year's trip - the weekend rates, after the spring sale, were VERY close in price! So, the cost of staying at POR or CSR over PoP was a VERY minimal difference. So - I thought why not go moderate.

I like the whimsy of PoP, but I soooo enjoy the calmness and peacefulness of POR and CSR. We are outside kind of people. Walking the lovely grounds, sitting on a bench and soaking it all in, and the over-all feeling of being in the theme of those two resorts is a big plus for us.

Lastly - the quiet pools! That's the push I need to go moderate....
__________________
RCI AOS eastern - April 2016---DCL Dream 4 night - Spt2015
DCL Wonder 5 night - April/May2014---CSR - June2014
RPR & POR - May/June2013---CSR - May/June2012---Pop - May/June2011---POR - June2009
cmhguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #15
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy
 
TruBlu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10,682

Nicer pools (slides) & TS restaurants onsite.

Some have queen beds.



Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
2006-CSR 2007-POP, SSR 2008, 2009-POFQ 2010-Christmas with Mickey at AKL 2013-AKL
Me (Tracey) DH DS13 DS11


"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow





TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.