Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #46
kimgg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsonja76
We are a military family stationed in Germany, would people think it cool or lame if I gave things like magnets from our military base or German candy?
I'd love it!!

May/June 2010 - WDW - POR French Quarter

July/August 2011 - Disneyland/Legoland (Hotel Menage

2012 - possibly a non-disney year due to circumstances beyond my control

March 2013 - Eastern on the Fantasy!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #47
sgc1107
sgc1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsonja76
We are a military family stationed in Germany, would people think it cool or lame if I gave things like magnets from our military base or German candy?
I would love them!! One of my favorite things about FE is getting things from where people live.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #48
redsonja76
Mouseketeer

Then that is what I will do! Germany is famous for their gmmy bears you know!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #49
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

this is the exact reason I have not yet participated in an FE. I worry that people will think my gifts are 'crap'. i'm not crafty, had until recently very little time and could not spend 5-10 per cabin if there were more than 20 cabins.
I think the idea is lovely and I am with the group who would love to just find a surprise when they return to their room. I would not care that it was just a sticker, I can find something to do with it. candy? great, i'll take it to the theater. I don't see 'crap', I see a thoughtful gift because that person didn't have to do anything. how would I know if they didn't. as far as how much was spent compared to mine, well, would you do that at xmas? compare the price of your gift to that of what others spent on you? if you do, i'm sure glad your not on my list cause that's way to much stress for me.
again, I just worry that what I would hand out would not be seen as a 'good' gift and my vacation is way to short to stress over what people think of what should be a fun game.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #50
dennes
Mouseketeer

Yes I have participated and No I won't be doing it again. A lot of our goodies were not suitable to get back to New Zealand due to our strict bio security laws we left them as gifts for kids at the hotels we went to after cruising. Still enjoyed by children but not mine.]

Disney world 2001, Disneyland and California Adventure 2001, Disney Wonder Pixar Pacific Coastal Cruise Sept 2012, Disneyland and California Adventure Sept 2012. LOVED Carsland!

Can't wait for April/May 2014. Trip of a lifetime with DH, DSs (7) and (11) Panama Canal cruise and WDW. Very exciting!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #51
goofs
Earning My Ears

Personally im hoping for lots of different candys as I pay to have american candy shipped to uk This would also save us buying goodies for shows etc. i live in Poole Dorset where we make sweet rock sticks, I had planned to give everyone a little stick with their main gift. Hope people will enjoy getting something from my home town?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #52
darrenf67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahk2013
I think you are missing the whole point of the FE. If you are crafty or have the $ to buy expensive gifts and want to do that ... Then that is your choice and hopefully it makes you feel good to make the items or spend the $. If it becomes something that is so time consuming or expensive that you don't feel like you are receiving enough from others.... Then don't participate. It is about giving to others and doing something fun. Not about the quality or cost of what you are receiving. It shouldn't be something that get you upset while on vacation.
Great post!

First Trip Report - WDW
Dec 2013

Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #53
zippyzo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofs
Personally im hoping for lots of different candys as I pay to have american candy shipped to uk This would also save us buying goodies for shows etc. i live in Poole Dorset where we make sweet rock sticks, I had planned to give everyone a little stick with their main gift. Hope people will enjoy getting something from my home town?
I was also thinking of something similar as I am from Great Yarmouth so my dad suggested sticks of rock. I think it's a great idea.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #54
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyzo View Post
I was also thinking of something similar as I am from Great Yarmouth so my dad suggested sticks of rock. I think it's a great idea.
I think its a great idea too. I am about as inland as you can get in the UK (Northampton!), so nothing I can really do specific to my town.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #55
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

It is fun and people should join for the giving.

But I don't think people should not be upset at the OP. A few people have mentioned that they feel they did not get things from everyone who joined the exchange, that is rude and how is pointing that out any different than threads on chair hogs by the pool .

The more information people have the better decisions they can make.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #56
Mom2Finn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy
It is fun and people should join for the giving.

But I don't think people should not be upset at the OP. A few people have mentioned that they feel they did not get things from everyone who joined the exchange, that is rude and how is pointing that out any different than threads on chair hogs by the pool .

The more information people have the better decisions they can make.
I disagree. As someone who's FE gift included something from OT (eye patches and pirate stickers) I think I get to be upset with the person who tells me I gave thoughtless crap.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #57
cruisinwithmaandpa
Happiness is being grandparents

I was excited to join our FE group mainly for my grandson. We spent months talking back and forth with each other and was excited to meet everyone during the meet and greet. That was a bust. We all sat down introduced ourselves and that was it. No one even wanted to talk and we all got up and left. I did spend a lot of time and money on our gifts, I always go over the top, but was not offended by what we received since I enjoy giving and our grandson was so excited to see what he got. I would do it again no matter what I received, no other cruise lines do this which bums me out.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #58
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Something to think about. :

How it all started and why.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotKilterFan View Post

Yes I am the instigator of the Fish Extender I had NO idea that it would get this big. I still laugh when I see LONG threads about fish extenders and their gifts.

The intent is to share with other DISr's. Put a gift in and if you get a gift in return that is a bonus! I always have fun passin out the FE gifts on the cruise. But now.... I won't know who is a DIS'r and who isn't! There are other groups that have adopted the fish extender.

My favorite quote from a guest in the hallway was.... "those things hanging on the doors must mean that there are children in the room"

I am glad the tradition continues and can't believe I innocently started a phenomenon 4 years ago on the FIRST time through the Panama Canal

Debbie

Last edited by Mom323; 01-19-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: edited to fix the misunderstanding ,the first post was done on iphone
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #59
sarahk2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Finn

I disagree. As someone who's FE gift included something from OT (eye patches and pirate stickers) I think I get to be upset with the person who tells me I gave thoughtless crap.
My kids would love pirate stickers and eye patches! I am putting my FE gifts together this weekend and this thread is trying to ruin it for me. We have put thought and time into them and are not rich or crafty so hopefully the people on our boat are kinder than some.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #60
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Few, thanks for posting. You haven't discouraged me as much as affirmed to me that I made the right decision for my family. I kept feeling all anti disney like for not wanting to pack, lug and deliver things to strangers while on vacation.
ITA. I have zero desire to participate in a FE or meet up with any fellow "DISers". No offence meant to anyone, but I want to spend the cruise with my family, not hanging out with or giving little scret santa gifts to strangers on the internet. But I did join our Facebook group and love chatting on the boards because it helps me plan and keeps me excited for the upcoming cruise. I like chatting with the people who will be on the same cruise I am. But that's where it ends for me.

There's nothing wrong with participating in those things if that's what you want to do. But sometimes on the Dis boards, you kind of feel like you're anti-Disney if you don't participate. I think the best thing to be said is if you aren't interested in the giving, then just opt out and not worry about it. To each their own.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: