Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

I thought there was more happiness in giving than receiving. What if someone else thought your items were "junk"?

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
sarahk2013
Earning My Ears

I think you are missing the whole point of the FE. If you are crafty or have the $ to buy expensive gifts and want to do that ... Then that is your choice and hopefully it makes you feel good to make the items or spend the $. If it becomes something that is so time consuming or expensive that you don't feel like you are receiving enough from others.... Then don't participate. It is about giving to others and doing something fun. Not about the quality or cost of what you are receiving. It shouldn't be something that get you upset while on vacation.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
alamere1496
Mouseketeer

So Sad

I am so saddened by this thread. We have done FE on both of our cruises and loved both of them. What ever happened to "it's the thought that counts"? I have received some amazing gifts from our groups. My youngest son was so excited with whatever he received. My oldest enjoyed the time we spent together walking around the ship delivering our gifts. He is a teenager and I don't get those moments with him very often and is something I cherish. I think it is all how you look at it and what you take out of it personally. We will ALWAYS do the FE exchange and appreciate all the gifts that we receive.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
kimgg
DIS Veteran

I too am in the "wow" category. So, for those of us who aren't crafty, have tons of extra time (I work full time) or can afford $5-10 per cabin - and you feel candy or plastic trinkets are "junk" WHAT do you suggest??? What is cheap, healthy, takes little time, and is not "crap"? I really wanna know!!! (Maybe I need to drop out of my upcoming FE)! I'm not tinker bell with a freakin' magic wand here!! (Wish I was, lol)!

May/June 2010 - WDW - POR French Quarter

July/August 2011 - Disneyland/Legoland (Hotel Menage

2012 - possibly a non-disney year due to circumstances beyond my control

March 2013 - Eastern on the Fantasy!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

The range of FE gifts we've received were all the way from home-made, super crafty things to stickers.

If you don't want the little stuff (stickers, little toys, etc) that you receive, you can always put them in your pocket to gift other young kids around the ship. I've done that with leftover FE stuff I've brought along.

The little girl in the movie who sat quietly and actually watched the movie got one. Any cute little pirates/princesses I saw while walking around got them. Kids who were polite got them

You spread the magic that way, and receive a lot of smiles.

As to whether stuff went missing from our FEs - I don't know. I personally don't have a checklist that I keep when receiving gifts to track who gave me something and who didn't.

I don't put my name (DIS or otherwise) on the gifts I give, and I've been known to put stuff in FEs that weren't on my list. I may be one of the people who you thought didn't give you anything.

I think it's fun. And I'm sad that (depending on the FB thing) I may not do it again.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
Vertigo127
Mouseketeer

I loved doing our FE exchange! Making our fe and gifts for others was fun, and my husband will contend that I went overboard, but giving to others makes me happy. I hope the boys enjoyed their "bones" candy, girls enjoyed their disney themed lip gloss, and the families got good use of their mini first aid kits and coasters. DH also made mickeys by welding washers, and painted them. I would love to know what creative uses people put them to
I loved the door magnets, regional themed goodies, disney pins, disney music cd, and little notebooks decorated with mickeys. I don't know if everyone participated, but I love the sweet sentiment and opportunity to make others smile.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
Nannylisad
Nannylisad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimgg
I too am in the "wow" category. So, for those of us who aren't crafty, have tons of extra time (I work full time) or can afford $5-10 per cabin - and you feel candy or plastic trinkets are "junk" WHAT do you suggest??? What is cheap, healthy, takes little time, and is not "crap"? I really wanna know!!! (Maybe I need to drop out of my upcoming FE)! I'm not tinker bell with a freakin' magic wand here!! (Wish I was, lol)!
Do not drop out. Enjoy the fun !!! It's better to give a gum stick than worry and be upset at others expectations.

Sorry for all the hard work others put I to the gifts...
Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #23
Kenzie'sGrandma
Earning My Ears

Just my 2 cents.....we would, and are doing our 2nd FE in May. My grandchildren loved checking for the little gifts when we left and went to the room. It wasn't about the quality of the items but the little magic that it adds. They loved looking for the room numbers and checking out the doors as we delivered our gifts. Our 1st time, we just bought little gifts to give and received much better items then we gave. We were like OMG can you believe all the stuff we got and felt bad about our gifts. But reading prior to our trip, it was just little knick-knacks or trinkets. This time we are being crafty and making our items and we are going to need a extra carry on bag just for our FE items.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #24
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

There are many things that can be done inexpensively but show that you took some time and thought about it.
I've printed out "fun facts" about the ship we are sailing on...only cost me a little internet research and some printer ink. I also give bags of mini oreos (not too expensive) with a "recipe" to make an Oreo "blizzard" on the pool deck with your family. Again, not expensive, but THOUGHTFUL.
I make 50 business card magnets for every cruise on Vistaprint (usually just a few dollars for shipping) and put them on ALL of the doors down my hallway, not just the FE doors.
I do go out of my way to create "magic" for others. I am happy to give out glow sticks or eye patches on Pirate night to kids I meet.
Call a spade a spade...anything from Oriental Trading company is CRAP...I don't care how nice you think it is.
All I'm saying is that I won't participate in the FE again, not that others shouldn't participate.
And, please don't give anyone your Halloween leftover candy.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch
I thought there was more happiness in giving than receiving. What if someone else thought your items were "junk"?
I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this thread. I'm so excited to be participating because I love to give
Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #26
kimgg
DIS Veteran

And for the record, I agree with "it's the thought that counts." In my opinion, ordering and putting together goody bags from oriental trading takes some thought ( and expense, depending on what is purchased). While I know many adults cruise without kids, I would hope said adults realize that the majority of gifts on a DISNEY cruise are going to be themed and geared towards KIDS and not expect something more than that. If you get more, great, but I would not expect it to be the norm??

Again, I am open to suggestions!! And I do hope those who are disappointed by non-crafty gifts are not the norm!! I agree if is the norm, that's very sad!

May/June 2010 - WDW - POR French Quarter

July/August 2011 - Disneyland/Legoland (Hotel Menage

2012 - possibly a non-disney year due to circumstances beyond my control

March 2013 - Eastern on the Fantasy!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #27
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoediva
Oh goodness, this is depressing. This is my first Disney Cruise and I am participating in our FE. While I am not crafty, I dont plan on buying them from OT. But this makes me nervous, sad and anxious.
Please do not let this thread discourage you. I have never cruised so I have never done the FE but plan on participating in May and I would be happy to have you in my group. It is about having fun
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #28
JackieO
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The range of FE gifts we've received were all the way from home-made, super crafty things to stickers.

If you don't want the little stuff (stickers, little toys, etc) that you receive, you can always put them in your pocket to gift other young kids around the ship. I've done that with leftover FE stuff I've brought along.

The little girl in the movie who sat quietly and actually watched the movie got one. Any cute little pirates/princesses I saw while walking around got them. Kids who were polite got them

You spread the magic that way, and receive a lot of smiles.
Ok, this is better and gives me renewed hope.

I thought I had counted well enough (trying to make girl gifts and boy gifts and counting and recounting adults and cabins) I somehow ended up with more gifts than I need. I'll bring them and hand them out other kids.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #29
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

Oriental trading is not crap to my kids. Handmade items may be crap to my kids! This thread is way to negative.
To each it's own!

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #30
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimgg
Do not drop out of the FE because of this thread. This is not the opinion of everyone

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: