Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Have you done a Fish Extender? Will you do it again?

Why I probably won't do another FE:
I remember seeing threads about the cool FE stuff that people have gotten and being so excited to do one. I now realize that those things are not the "norm".
I have participated in 5 Fish Extender exchanges. 2 with just DH & I, 3 with kids. Here is what I have found:

1. I care about my gifts WAY more than other people. I spend weeks working on handmade, very nice things to give out, partially because I love to give gifts and partially because I won't give out "crap".
2. MOST other people don't seem to care as much about their gifts as I do. I'm so sick of random bags of candy. That's just lazy. If there is a purpose to the candy, then please explain it, for example, if you are from Hershey, Pennsylvania, then fine, give me a chocolate bar, if not...save it.
3. I get PLENTY to eat on the ship. I don't need any more snacks. And my kids definitely don't need more sugar.
4. I don't buy Oriental Trading "crap" for my children, or their parties, I certainly don't need it from other people on a Disney Cruise.
5. I typically spend $5 - $10 per stateroom on our gifts, that's at least $100 I could use elsewhere on the ship.
6. I don't think in any of the FEs that I've participated in that I've actually gotten a gift from each cabin on the list. Whether there are neglectful people or theives onboard, I'm not sure. But on my last cruise, I made gifts for 21 cabins, and there is no way I had 21 cabins worth of "stuff".
7. I'm hearing more and more reports of people having things stolen from their FE and off their door.
8. While on a few of the cruises we have gotten a couple of very nice gifts, these are few and far between. 2 nice gifts in a group of 20 doesn't make up for the rest of the crap.
9. I have decided that the effort of making, packing, and delivering the numerous FE gifts is not worth it.

Its unfortunate, because I truly do love to give gifts. I think the things that I've given in my FEs are things that I would want to receive. I wish everyone would consider that as they are packing up their FEs for their next trip.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookmomma74 View Post
I remember seeing threads about the cool FE stuff that people have gotten and being so excited to do one. I now realize that those things are not the "norm".
I have participated in 5 Fish Extender exchanges. 2 with just DH & I, 3 with kids. Here is what I have found:

1. I care about my gifts WAY more than other people. I spend weeks working on handmade, very nice things to give out, partially because I love to give gifts and partially because I won't give out "crap".
2. MOST other people don't seem to care as much about their gifts as I do. I'm so sick of random bags of candy. That's just lazy. If there is a purpose to the candy, then please explain it, for example, if you are from Hershey, Pennsylvania, then fine, give me a chocolate bar, if not...save it.
3. I get PLENTY to eat on the ship. I don't need any more snacks. And my kids definitely don't need more sugar.
4. I don't buy Oriental Trading "crap" for my children, or their parties, I certainly don't need it from other people on a Disney Cruise.
5. I typically spend $5 - $10 per stateroom on our gifts, that's at least $100 I could use elsewhere on the ship.
6. I don't think in any of the FEs that I've participated in that I've actually gotten a gift from each cabin on the list. Whether there are neglectful people or theives onboard, I'm not sure. But on my last cruise, I made gifts for 21 cabins, and there is no way I had 21 cabins worth of "stuff".
7. I'm hearing more and more reports of people having things stolen from their FE and off their door.
8. While on a few of the cruises we have gotten a couple of very nice gifts, these are few and far between. 2 nice gifts in a group of 20 doesn't make up for the rest of the crap.
9. I have decided that the effort of making, packing, and delivering the numerous FE gifts is not worth it.

Its unfortunate, because I truly do love to give gifts. I think the things that I've given in my FEs are things that I would want to receive. I wish everyone would consider that as they are packing up their FEs for their next trip.
Wow.

I've done the FE on 3 of our 6 cruises (and one of those I was involved in 2 separate ones).

We've always enjoyed the gifts we've given and received.

Our last cruise, I didn't join the FE group. I tried to, but our DISmeet was basically gutted by those who decided to move it over to Facebook. They said they would keep those of us who don't do FB up on what was happening, but it didn't go that way.

If future DISmeets operate the same way, I probably won't be involved in anymore FEs

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
jenerra11
Mouseketeer

I will NEVER be apart of a FE group again! It was just too time consuming, and being on a new ship (Dream) didn't help. Hopping from elevator to elevator, trying to find rooms, and sweating profusely, was all I remember about doing the FE thing. However, we did get some nice things and the kids loved returning to their room for the nice surprises. It just felt more like a job to me than entertainment.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
mareed
DIS Veteran

Interesting to read... No, I haven't done one (only one cruise so far ), and I won't. I expected that it would be inexpensive trinkets similar to kids' party goody bags, and now that my kids are older I recently donated lots of assorted Disney stuff that I'd bought over the years and hadn't even ever given to the kids. I certainly don't need any more!

OP - Sorry you were disappointed, and it does sound like you "did" much more than others.
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B
RC Cruise: Jun 14

Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
JackieO
Mouseketeer

Oh this whole thread makes me sad. We're leaving for our first Disney Cruise next Saturday and I've spent a lot of time on our FE gifts. I haven't spent a lot of $ but I think I've made nice things and I've spent a lot of time. I hate to think people will think my gifts are junk.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
keilakrohn
Earning My Ears

Fe

We would definitely do it again but I do agree many people that participate don't put as muchthought and time into their gifts. We received some pretty cool gifts and the excitement of gifts every day made it so fun. To me its more about finding something in your FE not so much what you find.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

I agree about the Oriental Trading crap. It's awful. Junk. Waste of money. What are we going to do with gold plastic pirate coins? Little bendable rulers? Ugh.

The candy that we receive has increased. This past Dec., on the last night, we filled a large zip lock bag (FILLED IT) with the FE candy and gave it to the kids club staff. We kept like 3 pieces of candy.

We busted our butts and made 100 decoupaged DCL coasters. DH said no more! It wasn't expensive, but it was time consuming. I know not everyone is crafty, it can afford much, but we've received a lot of other inexpensive things that wasn't a handful of mints or crap from Oriental Trading.

I too am waiting until the FE runs its course with DD......she's still loving it (although at almost 6 years old, even she sighed when it was more candy or junk, and she is not brought up to be spoiled & to be thankful!), so we'll actively participate, but I see where OP is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder

Last edited by Silverfox97; 01-18-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:

Wow!!!!! No, I don't think you should participate again.

I realize that all participants are not crafty. We think participating is a lot of fun even if we receive candy (which we take to the shows) or inexpensive gifts. Not everybody can afford expensive items and you have probably just discouraged some people from participating and that I think is sad.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
Mom2Finn
Mouseketeer

I totally agree with the PP. What a sad thread. My son was so excited to come back to the room and see what we'd gotten. That's why we are doing it again. It is good you are not doing it. I would hate to be doing one with you and have to wonder if my gift was up to snuff or if you were deeming it "crap". I hope you and others haven't scared people off of doing FEs with your judgmental posts.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

I had a great experience the first time we did it in the med. the group was pretty small and the gifts were for the most part wonderful. The second time the group was much larger and the gifts were more the ot variety. The last time the group was smaller, but there were "missing" gifts. I'm giving it one more shot in April, and if its not a good experience that's it. Sad
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
Oh this whole thread makes me sad. We're leaving for our first Disney Cruise next Saturday and I've spent a lot of time on our FE gifts. I haven't spent a lot of $ but I think I've made nice things and I've spent a lot of time. I hate to think people will think my gifts are junk.
The majority of people appreciate the time that it takes to even put things they have purchased in bags, tag them and then take the time to deliver them. Don't let this post discourage you from participating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
Wow!!!!! No, I don't think you should participate again.

I realize that all participants are not crafty. We think participating is a lot of fun even if we receive candy (which we take to the shows) or inexpensive gifts. Not everybody can afford expensive items and you have probably just discouraged some people from participating and that I think is sad.
ITA with you! I know that my kids have loved everything they have received in our FE -- including the candy and stuff from OT. There is no way that I could have spent $5-$10 per stateroom for the majority of our FE groups. There were over 100 staterooms on the PC cruise and our current cruise group has 35 staterooms signed up. The kids keep the candy in a ziplock bag and take some with them to the movies onboard. Unfortunately there will always be cases of FE thieves. Really nothing you can do about that. Some don't have the time to put into ornate and time-consuming gifts, but that doesn't mean their heart isn't in the right place.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
shoediva
Earning My Ears

Oh goodness, this is depressing. This is my first Disney Cruise and I am participating in our FE. While I am not crafty, I dont plan on buying them from OT. But this makes me nervous, sad and anxious.
Carnival Ecstasy - July 201
Disney Dream - April 2013
Carnival Breeze- August 2013
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:

Sadly, I could have written exactly this. We looked forward to our first FE with excited anticipation. I spent an hour handcrafting each of our FE gifts, hoping fellow cruisers would enjoy them as a nice memento of our cruise.

We received a few nice handcrafted gifts in return and I enjoy them a lot. But way too many gifts were candy and plastic junk. We also didn't receive gifts from everyone in the FE group.

We likely won't bother doing FE again.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Musicalmommy
Earning My Ears

Few, thanks for posting. You haven't discouraged me as much as affirmed to me that I made the right decision for my family. I kept feeling all anti disney like for not wanting to pack, lug and deliver things to strangers while on vacation.

I do like to give gifts too, and I am crafty, I even write monthly family craft articles for a local magazine. I just don't like clutter, and we are both thrifty. I do however have a swag crazy daughter, so the less opportunities for her to gain junk(aka her most prized treasures) the better.

My suggestion for the OP is if you like giving gifts still make a thing or two and surprise someone you catch being good, or maybe the people you share dinner with on the last night after you have gotten to know them, and on the last night so they don't feel the need to return the favor.

No one said you have to be on a list to give a gift, and you don't have to bring 200 either. And no candy or junk in sight. If it is truly about the giving, still be joyful, just where you want to give, not where others tell you you need to.

How about magnets for those lonely empty doors that people(first timers) didn't know about decorating. That would make our family smile.

I personally have a few pixie dust items up our sleeves for the trip.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

My kids love to do it, the first couple were fun, not too many cabins and everyone had spent months getting to know each other, so felt like it was friends you were sharing with.

The last couple we did I felt like tons of people posted once on the meet thread to join the exchange and that was it, and the whole purpose to me of sharing with new friends was lost.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: